Illinois-Chicago

Carnivale?

My fiancé and I are considering Carnivale as our reception site.  Has anyone had/attended a wedding there?  I’d love to hear any comments about it!   

Thanks! 

p.s. If anyone cares to get more specific, here is what we have going on:

We are thinking we’ll have at least 175 people and having our cocktail hour in the Tango room and the reception (seated dinner and dancing) in the Samba room upstairs.   

Some questions I have:

Is the Samba room big enough for 175 people?  It looked a little small. 

I love the bright colors, but just want to make sure it’s not too over the top for a wedding.  Did the colors look good?  Did the room look good in pictures? Also, the linens that come in the room are black, so I’m wondering if those are too dark.   

Did any family members had any problem with the food?  I personally like it, but am scared of some stodgy family members thinking it too spicy.  (although, they’ll probably complain no matter what we do!)

Bathrooms – from the looks of it, in the Samba room, there are 2 bathrooms right off the main room.  I would hate to have to seat a table next to the bathrooms!  Was this a problem or not (or are there other bathrooms I didn’t see)? 

Guests will be staying downtown hotels – should we have a shuttle?

Re: Carnivale?

• edited December 2011
    It's been a few years since I've been there but I will always remember how bright and colorful it was.  I loved it!!  You definitely pose some good concerns there (particularly the menu).  Can you even out the choices by having a couple of safe options (for ex. perhaps each table could have chips and their homemade guacamole that they are famous for) and go with a "safer" salad and then go with a specialty entree and dessert.  That way guests who have a "simpler" palette will still get something to eat.

My first thought about the black linens was yuck.  However, that place is soooo colorful, that maybe the black wouldn't be a bad idea so it doesn't stick out in that colorful room?

I don't have answers about the sizing but I think it would be very cool to have a wedding there.
  • pearlaquapearlaqua member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just went to a wedding there (it was an afternoon/lunch affair so the couple had the entire main room to themselves. Stunning and cheaper, but also in the afternoon, so it's a trade-off)
    Is the Samba room big enough for 175 people?  It looked a little small.  
    -Yes, big enough, but not ample by any means.

I love the bright colors, but just want to make sure it’s not too over the top for a wedding.  Did the colors look good?  Did the room look good in pictures? Also, the linens that come in the room are black, so I’m wondering if those are too dark. 

-the colors were perfect, the linens looked good because the decor is so bright.  The pictures looked really good because the room was so decorative.   

Did any family members had any problem with the food?  I personally like it, but am scared of some stodgy family members thinking it too spicy.  (although, they’ll probably complain no matter what we do!)
    -no, there are several options you can ask about when you go to the tasting

Bathrooms – from the looks of it, in the Samba room, there are 2 bathrooms right off the main room.  I would hate to have to seat a table next to the bathrooms!  Was this a problem or not (or are there other bathrooms I didn’t see)?  
    -there are a lot of bathrooms in that restaurant

Guests will be staying downtown hotels – should we have a shuttle?-You could, but it's also not a super-far cab ride. 
    PM me if you'd like to see pictures of the wedding...
  • pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just had my bachlorette party dinner here this weekend! Beautiful atmosphere, great food, bit pricey, but good service!
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards