Illinois-Chicago
Options

Wedding planner - worth it?

I'm on a relatively tight budget for the wedding so didn't even consider hiring a wedding planner but now i'm reconsidering. I don't have any sisters or family that could help with the planning and i dont want to put a lot of burden on bridesmaides as i'm having a small wedding party and don't want to be an annoying bride. I am wondering how much $$ a planner would cost and how much help it would be? anyone have any good recommendations on someone they've used and if i should consider it or just suck it up and try to do it all myself? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and just started planning!

Re: Wedding planner - worth it?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are planning the wedding on your own then it is definitely worth it. I used Karolina Warren www.weddingsbykarolina.com I couldn't have done it without her. I didn't want to burden my family with anything on the day of the wedding. My family only had to pack their cars at the end of the night with our gifts, and Karolina did the bulk of it.

A wedding planner will take care of all the details of the day so you can enjoy it. A DOC will take over in the last week or so and confirm all your vendors go over contracts, and make sure all have a timeline ...... handle the rehersal, and the wedding itself.

Karolina was great and executed all of the details of the wedding beautifully. If there were problems she handled it. We all had a wonderful day!!!
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I REALLY wish I would have had a planner from the start. Being a full-time student with 2 part time jobs AND planning a wedding in another state was ROUGH! I did manage, but I had to sacrifice some things because I just didn't have time to do it all, and I couldn't rely on anyone else because they had busy schedules. I did get a DOC to help me out for the day, and I am SO glad we did. It meant that no one had to sacrifice time away from the events of the day, because we knew we had someone competent handling all of the behind-the-scenes details.
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    many coordinators offer different packages, from full wedding packages to day of packages and some partial packages.
    We're using Amanda at LaDi Events and she's worth every penny!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!  can you give me a ballpark on how much someone like Karolina Warren would cost?
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I didn't use a wedding planner, but I was really just into doing everything myself.

However, I did get a DOC and she was amazing!! I highly recommend getting one if you can afford it.  One of my best decisions in my planning.  (I didn't get married in Chicago area, otherwise I'd give you her info)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @853George

Karolina's rates and packages are listed on her website www.weddingsbykarolina.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too think having a wedding planner was the best decision I made. I didn't realize until I got to the ceremony that I have no idea who would have made all of that happen on time if I didn't have her!  I nver thought about getting the music to play at the right time, your parents to leave down the aisle at the right time, etc. and who was going to do that. Thank God! I used Shannon from Shannon Gail and she was amazing. So nice and even for a DOC helped with things WAY before the wedding. You'll love her :)www.shannongail.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat I really can't afford one but my fiance is want to get me one to help me out, if anything just for day of.

I have meet with Big City Brides, they are not bad but really pricy.

Cori Ashford, she is actually really cheap, her full it 1,000 and her DOC is 400.  She seemed really cool, money wise she seems the best choice.

We meet with Shannon Gail, who is awesome, she a bit pricy but she is really willing to work with my Fiance on that.  If we can she's the one we want to go with.  

I honestly don't want to have to deal with any day of stress so I would love to have a planner for that.  

It won't hurt you to look, meet with some, find out pricing and see if they will work with you.  Who knows you might be able to have one.  I was told by someone who did have a planner that it actually saved them money because of all the deals they can get.  Which is one of the reasons I would love to get one now, I have done all the vendor searching already but if they can negotiate and get better deals on all my stuff then it would be worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards