Illinois-Chicago
Options

Florists...where do you start?

So I'm ready to start looking for a florist, but have NO IDEA where to begin.  Do I look in the city where I'm holding my reception or where I'm holding the ceremony?  Do you "shop around" for florists?  HELP!

Re: Florists...where do you start?

• Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here are a couple of things to think about:
    -First, are your flowers going to reflect the colors of your wedding?
    -Meet with a few different florists to get an idea of what it costs for certain flowers; the very first florist I met even suggested this
    -I would suggest trying to stick with flowers that are in season for the time your wedding is at
    -Many florists who are based in the suburbs also work in the city and vice versa
    -Try and have an idea of how many people you will have in your bridal party and if you will want floral centerpieces as personal flowers and centerpiece flowers are typically the most expensive

Good luck!

• Options
    alyssalowealyssalowe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The pp covered the majority of what you need to know when talking to florists. I strongly suggest shopping around to many places and also going into the stores to see the book of their work (not the example professional book). The first two stores I called in my area wanted to charge 250-300 for my bridal bouquet. I decided to call a store 15 mins away (that delivers for free) and she only charges 65 for what I wanted. BIG SAVINGS and her work book was awesome.

Start looking through flowers and see what calls to you. Exotic, Romantic, Specific colors..., so you know what you like when you call. I love roses and stephanotis. Very traditional wedding flowers and they fit my style great. Dont try to go to "different" or "nontraditional" because thats whats going to cost you more.
  • Options
    Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out town and country gardens in elgin. they were recommended to me by several people. they were the only florist whose arrangements didn't remind me fo easter (i'm having a jewish wedding so having easter arrangements would not be a good thing). plus everything they do is so unique and so beautiful. i was not excited about my flowers until i booked them. my wedding is in deerfield and they are able to deliver there. i told her my budget and she was able to work with it without going over. the best way to save money is to tell the florist that you only want to use in season flowers. we are only using in season flowers and definitely no roses. i had absolutely nothing in mind, except a colour swatch and she picked four or five flowers and showed me pictures of them. they are all beautiful and i am so excited.

Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also don't just look at flower shops, there are a ton of super talented people who do just wedding flowers. Some of the more recommended ones on here are Kio Kreations and GNG Designs. They are able to work with your budget and come up with very creative designs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey!! I just started wedding planning and am THRILLED to have all ready found my florist.

I met with the owner of jw floral designs and we hit it off instantly.. Her personality was easy, her work was spectacular, and her willingness to work with my budget was refreshing.. Check out her website -- www.jwfloraldesign.com

Good luck.
  • Options
    megs175megs175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat as linds.  What would you all say is average cost of flowers?  I have no idea of what to tell the florist my budget is!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, do people find that these floral designers are less expensive than flower shops?
  • Options
    Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my future sister in law is a florist and she said $1500-$2000. i'm having a jewish wedding so mine will cost more than someone who isn't.

i know town and country gardens is the same price as flowerama (as per a friend of mine), but the quality at town and country is obviously better
    Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards