Hawaii

Maui venue suggestions? (newbie here)

Hey everyone, I'm Tenaya and have been engaged for the past two months.  My fiance, Dave and I originally decided on a traditional wedding in our hometown in southern California.  We have since been considering a Hawaii wedding in order to cut down the guest list and do away with a large wedding party.  We are both very familiar with Maui (Dave has family there) so it would be the ideal island for our wedding (oh, and that's where we got engaged!)  We want to get married next summer, are expecting around 30 guests and have a medium/moderate/not quite Chelsea Clinton-sized budget.  I'm pretty much just in the brainstorming phase of planning this potential Hawaiian wedding, and the initial research is making my brain hurt!!  Any suggestions on where to begin when planning a Hawaiian extravaganza? Best ceremony and reception venues?  Do's and dont's? I have a very open mind at this point. Help is greatly appreciated Wink
PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Maui venue suggestions? (newbie here)

• edited December 2011
    Hi, congratulations on the engagement!  There are plenty of great venues on Maui.  It helps to get a sense of what type of venue you want.  For example:

Beach wedding
    Ocean front lawn wedding
    Hotel wedding
    Restaurant banquet v. catered banquet

As for Do's, I would suggest the following:

Check out the Maui planning site:
    http://maui.weddings.com

Browse the forum and check out the planning bios of Maui brides -- lots of great details you can learn from.

Google Maui wedding planners - many of them have a variety of venues they recommend right from the website.

Once you have a better sense of what you want, I'm sure folks will have tons of suggestions.  It's just hard to recommend out of the blue without knowing what you are looking for.

Olowalu Plantation is probably the most popular venue I've noticed on the boards.  Mama's Fish House (restaurant), Sugarman Estate (private estate), and the Haiku Mill (non-ocean) are also very popular.  For a wedding of your size, I would definitely take a look at the White Orchid Beach House. 

Hope that helps!
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Tenaya, welcome to The Knot!  Congrats on your engagement, and your decision to get married in Hawaii - I really think that us Hawaiian brides are some of the luckiest in the world! 
    I am getting married next July at Olowalu Plantation - it is a beautiful private estate on the coastline by Lahaina.  We opted to get married there because the location is gorgeous, and we had seen too many beach weddings get interruped by beachgoers - privacy was priority for us.  We had originally planned to have a small wedding, around 30 people, but we are quickly going over 60.  Our intentions on keeping it small got out of hand quick with a large family....  :) 
    I would recommend taking a look at Olowalu Plantation, Haiku Sugar Mill, or Sugarman's if you are looking into the private estate venue - they are all truly gorgeous! 
    Hope that helps, and can't wait to see what you decide on!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!  :)  People on here are super helpful.  Ditto to what others said, it would help to have an idea of what your preferences for a venue is (i.e. beach/resort/restaurant/private estate) and general style of the event (casual/formal).  I'm sure we could throw some ideas your way!  Congrats on your engagement!  :)

• edited December 2011
    Welcome! Great choice of islands! (I'm totally biased, myself)
  • edited December 2011
    Check the Maui Wedding Planning website, http://mauiweddingplanning.weebly.com/ It should get you started on everything you need...
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!  I am already starting to feel more calm.  I love the idea of an oceanfront lawn ceremony.  The white orchid beach house looks amazing! Let the research continue...
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! I got married this past June at Olowalu and it was the venue of my dreams. I didn't even consider another location :) We had exactly 30 guests. It was romantic, private and had a laid back Hawaiian feel. Good luck with planning, have fun with it!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_maui-venue-suggestions-newbie-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:0e4b5f42-7740-49ca-8392-e6534b526b1aPost:0672c037-5127-42bd-b539-524569eae36a">Re: Maui venue suggestions? (newbie here)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The white orchid beach house looks amazing! Let the research continue...
    Posted by MrsNash2be[/QUOTE]
    Make sure to search this board (the search function is at the bottom of this page) and google in general for reviews of this venue.  It's operated exclusively be a wedding planning outfit that wasn't reviewed terribly well recently be a bride on this board.  It sounded like most everything turned out ok, but you don't have a choice of vendors for most things.  That would bug the heck out of me - I like options, and I like to be the one deciding what's right for me.

Welcome to the board!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_maui-venue-suggestions-newbie-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:0e4b5f42-7740-49ca-8392-e6534b526b1aPost:3b0156c6-605a-495e-a681-d1ac951fcf08">Re: Maui venue suggestions? (newbie here)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maui venue suggestions? (newbie here) : Make sure to search this board (the search function is at the bottom of this page) and google in general for reviews of this venue.  It's operated exclusively be a wedding planning outfit that wasn't reviewed terribly well recently be a bride on this board.  It sounded like most everything turned out ok, but you don't have a choice of vendors for most things.  That would bug the heck out of me - I like options, and I like to be the one deciding what's right for me. Welcome to the board!
    Posted by carrieoz_76[/QUOTE]

Good point.  I certainly did not mean to endorse White Orchid Weddings, but rather offer the venue & planner as an option to consider.  This bride sounded overwhelmed with options & things to consider, so perhaps a one-stop-no-choice shop is the way to go.  For those of us that like choices (or need, in my case), it's definitely not the best fit.  For all venues & planners, I would absolutely recommend reading detailed reviews.
  • edited December 2011
    My next question was actually about white orchid weddings, so that info is good to know.  
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_maui-venue-suggestions-newbie-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:0e4b5f42-7740-49ca-8392-e6534b526b1aPost:8b1af869-385a-42c4-a5ec-7129664c7405">Re: Maui venue suggestions? (newbie here)</a>:
    [QUOTE]For all venues & planners, I would absolutely recommend reading detailed reviews.
    Posted by cherrymoo[/QUOTE]
    100% agreed!  There's something out there for everyone, and I think esp. when you're planning from far away, reviews are the best way to find the right fit for each of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards