Hawaii

newbie. maui - haiku mills - anyone else?

Hi all, I'm new to the boards. Just wondering if anyone else is having their weddng at the haiku mills and maybe we can exchange ideas?! I just got engaged about a month ago and am so overwhelmed by all the wedding info!! I nailed down the site - haiku mills. Wedding Coordinator - white orchid weddings. Caterer - based on the coordinators prefered vendors, Lei Aloha / Cafe Ole. Colors - thinking turq & purple with a hint of lime ... like a tropical peacock feather! And that's as far as I got! Anyone else at Haiku Mills? Are you having a tent in addition to the glass structure that's there? Are you having a lot of florals? Shuttle service for your guests?

Re: newbie. maui - haiku mills - anyone else?

• 1970sutter1970sutter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  i am also looking at haiku mills for spring/summer next year.  i was told that you would need a tent in addition to the glass structure as it rains quite a bit at night.  i probably have to get shuttle service as there is not much accommodations in the area.  i am going to see the site next month! 
  • sheri215sheri215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're having yours in the summer, you probably won't need it. Our wedding is this November (which is the beginning of rain season) and our coordinator keeps insisting we get the tent. We're on a huge budget since I just lost my job and she's quoting us $2000 for the tent ... so she's letting us wait to see how the weather is looking the week prior before actually booking the tent. We're not doing a shuttle service since all of our guests will be getting rental cars and our guests are staying at different locations. Good luck!! It's as beautiful in person as it is online :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah renting a tent is not cheap, is it?  I just spoke to Sylvia and she quoted me $4090 for a tent?!  and she said there is only one kind that everyone rents no matter how many people we have.  How has our experience with the Haiku Mill been?  Do you have a wedding planner from outside or do you use the on-site planner and paying 20% of your wedding cost?  Where did you decide to get ready, hotel or the bridal room (with A/C?)?  Sorry for the many questions.  Hope your wedding planning is going well. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow, she quoted you $4000?! i was told the clear top tent is the best option, which I could agree with ... the venue is so beautiful it would be the best way to still show it off. my coordinator quoted me $2000 which i thought was a lot! and i think it's true - there's only one size ... i mean, the mills only fits a small party anyways and there isn't a ton more room for a tent since the glass one is already built in. i'm using white orchid weddings - i was in works with them right as the new owners took of haiku mills. i have mixed thoughts on my coordinator. (if you want details, let me know and i'll give you my email address) but they are also 20%. i had called a few coordinators on maui and the handful that i called all charged 20%. i didn't go direct through haiku mills because they said i had to use their vendors and i didn't care for their photographers and didn't want to be limited to vendors. i think i'm getting ready at the bridal suite at haiku mills ... my coordinator told me there isn't any a/c but i could have sworn they do ... do you know? feel free to ask questions, girl it's good to bounce ideas around! i am always on projectwedding.com and have been emailing/venting with another maui bride! haha i'm less than 3 months away and i feel like i have so much to do still!! aughhhhh
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi.  i am so glad to find a potential venue buddy :)  it seems like everyone already nailed down the venue a year advance and i am not there yet though we are looking at spring/summer next year.  i feel i am very behind and worried that we won't get the venue and date that we like...but we wanted to see the sites in person and decide...if you could share with me your experiences on the WOW off board, that would be great.  i would like to get some vendor recommendations as well.i have not asked her directly about the A/C in the bridal suite, but somebody else was saying there was no A/C there.  3 months to go....it's a crunch time huh.  the most important thing is you will share the special moment with your husband to be and guests.  take a deep breath and good luck with planning!! 
  • edited December 2011
    There is no A/C for sure. Depending on what time of day you will be getting ready it may not be bad.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1970sutter - email me sheriluke215@yahoo.com hellokitty0369 - thanks for confirming! i'm thinking it should be ok to get ready there for me ... it will be november around 10:00, I asked my makeup artist to bring a fan too! haha Did you get married there?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure it will be fine.  I'm getting married on September 15th.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow! it's just around the corner hellokitty!! how exciting!!
  • MiniWheatsMiniWheats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey guys, sorry Ive been off the boards for a few weeks. I have been to Haiku Mill for a scouting trip. The bridal suite does not have air but it is not too hot since it is under trees. We are getting hair and makeup done at our beach house, taking our tranport up and then doing a touch up, getting dressed and getting photos taken there. As for the tent, I think that 4 grand is insane for a tent. I think you should get another quote. Linz
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we just came back from Maui scouting trip!  I went to check out Haiku Mill...wow it is stunning.  Love it!  but We got bitten by mosquito on my legs there :(  I don't want to have a big mosquito bite on my wedding day...the owner was saying she was considering getting a mosquito trap.  Also, I've seen a swing in the photographs of Haiku Mill, but I didn't see the swing when I was there and forgot to ask her about it. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i was wondering about mosquittos ... ugh i hate them! they always find me and bite me!! i wonder if we can do those citronella candels or something? i'll have to ask my coordinator. isn't it beautiful in person?! love it! so are you booking the location for sure? i was wondering about the swing too - figured it was just for photos and promo use. but i'll ask my coordinator. those would make some super cute photos!!
  • amlaroccoamlarocco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hello,
    Congratulations on your wedding!  We just got engaged and we happen to have a family trip to Maui scheduled for November.  We have decided to get married on our trip (we decided today) and to have the bigger reception next year. We have 5 weeks to plan the wedding. We are a party of 12 and are considering the Haiku Mills.  This would be an early November (yes 2010) wedding.   We would like to know how your experience was with this venue and the services.  We would really appreciate your insights about the mosquitoes...I think the best reviews are when it is all over and you can look back on it.  I am in shock at the moment and by the time I realize that we are planning a wedding in 5 weeks, I hope that the planning is done! 

Thanks
    ann marie

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ann marie - This thread is really old (last post before yours was last year).  Try seraching at the bottom of the page for messages about haiku mill, and for posts by MiniWheats.  I think she posted vendor reviews that addressed how she felt about this venue.  It's beautiful, but seems to present issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards