Hawaii
Options

VENDOR REVIEW

OKIE DOKIE GIRLS... I'm back from my honeymoon!!! I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help with the planning... this board is amazing and so helpful for planning, support, and friendship... anyways, i know i did a quick review on my very favorite vendors but here is everyone! Wedding Coordinator-KathE from Gayle Weddings A+++++++++++ HIRE HER I hired her for only day-of but she basically helped me plan out the whole wedding. She generally costs $1000 dollars or so for day-of only and is worth every penny... I mean on my wedding day she was there from 8am till 12 midnight!!!!I emailed her at least every month (sometimes weekly) for a whole year and a half and she answered back promptly with all her recommendations and suggestions. We met a week and a half before the wedding and she took over everything! All the contracts, all the contacts, paying the vendors. She is good friends with Kahu Bruce who was our officiant and volunteered to run the rehearsal to save us money so Kahu Bruce didn't have to come.!!! I don't really see why you would need a full coordinator if you use KathE. She was amazing... my day went sooooo smoothly... she even brought an assistant to help since my ceremony and reception was at 2 different places. she took care of all of the problems (even a guest spat!) and I didn't even know about it until the next day. KathE is amazing, I can't say enough about her but you will not regret hiring her. Photographer- Shawn Starr A++++++++++++ Duh.. hire He was our first vendor booked. I decided my wedding day around his availability. Every knottie knows shawn so I don't need to talk him up much. He is as great and friendly as everyone says. He even brought a photog assistant with him that day and stayed late till the dancing got started so he could get the late night shots. He is amazing. Flowers- Tammy from TGIS flowers A+++++++++++ Please hire I'll post pictures. The flowers were amazing. I gave her a budget of 1800 and what I wanted and she helped work with me on which flowers were cheaper, how to cut down costs, and her work is astonishing. She is slow with emails in the beginning (on the other hand I did start planning 18 months before the wedding) but was on the ball as the wedding got closer. Her customer service is top notch. My bouquet was originally suppose to be just red roses and orange mini calla lilies but when she receieved the calla lilies she thought they were too yellow and not what I wanted so she took it upon herself and made me an extra bouquet free of charge without even letting me know (they just magically showed up in my hotel room). I don't know how to tell you how beautiful her flowers were. For the price I had I got 20 center pieces, a huge flower aisle made with rose petals and orchid heads), chair decorations, bamboo arch decorations, 4 bridesmaid bouquets, two bridal bouquets, and 6 bouteneers. She is great Officiant- Kahu Bruce A+ Kahu Bruce was great. I knew I wanted a hawaiian spiritual type wedding. Originally I only knew of Kahu Silva, but again KathE helped me find Kahu Bruce (who actually substitutes for Silva when he can't make weddings). He was friendly and really made an effort to get to know us. I talked to him on the phone before I hired him. We met a week before the wedding. And even though we didn't hire him to do the rehearsal to save money he showed up anyways (saying he was just in the neighborhood). His chants and prayers are beautiful. He is a great person and made our wedding ceremony perfect and memorable. Reception Location- Halekulani A+ Amazing amazing food. I cannot tell you how amazing it was. The best buffet everyone and every single guest could not get over it. There were so many great comments about the service and food. We were treated like kings and queens. The customer service there is impeccable and you really understand why they are the only 5 star hotel in oahu. I worked with Joel in the catering service and he is great. He's very short and concise and to the point. Everyone said it was the best reception place they've been too. Halekulani was amazing. The buffet costs around $63 dollars a person. We got a free cake, free bridal suite, and 2 free rooms for our parents, and free next day breakfast buffet which was also amazing. The place is just beautiful. Wedding Makeup-Vicky Nguyen (makeupbyvicky.com) C So, this was the worst part of the wedding. We went to her studio to get ready. She had an assistant do the hair and she did the makeup. Vicky herself is great.. I gave her a C because I loved my hair and makeup and she did it without a trial otherwise I would giver her an F. But her assistant was HORRIBLE. She literally could not do hair. Each of my bridesmaids had to get their hair done twice!!! She didn't do it right the first time and my mom was soooooooo angry she sat right next to her and told her exactly what to do and how to fix it. What really made me mad that after the first two bridesmaids were done the next two didn't want their hair done because they said it wasn't worth the money because they could have done it themselves. Well, vicky said if they didn't do it that was fine but we would still have to pay for it because we signed a contract!!! WHO DOES THAT!?!?! So everyone was upset, my mom was mad because she felt like I was wasting my money, and I was upset everyone was in a bad mood. I would never hire her again or recommend her unless Vicky is the only one working for you. Even then the customer service sucks. Day After Hair-Beverly Makeupbybev.com A Originally Bev was who I wanted to hire for wedding hair and makeup but she was all booked up on my wedding day. But I hired her to do my hair for day after shots with shawn starr. She is super friendly and was very professional and is so knowledgable about weather, face shape, skin type, hair type. I was so comfortable with her and my hair came out amazing. She is very affordable. Arch and Chair Rentals- JMJ Renals A Great price and great service. I never met them (KathE dealt with everything and was there when they set up and tore down). But Kai was great to work with. Sometimes they are slow with emails but I changed my order a couple times with no harm done. If you mention their website they give you a 10% discount off the price. Would definitely use them again =) DJ- DJ Lil Ryan B We were gonna go Ipod to save money but then we decided to get a DJ. DJ lil Ryan was based on recommendation from KathE. He was great and cheap! ($550 for 5pm-11:30pm). He did everything he was told to do, brought all the equipment and lighting, played all the songs we wanted on que, and provided every song I had listed. I would hire him any day. The only reason why I didn't give him an A is because he was good but wasn't like overly exceptional or anything. He didn't interact with the group like most DJs do. He just came in and did his job. Which is all a girl can ask for =) Favors- Honolulu Cookie Company A+ Delicious. That's all I gotta say haha Whew.. I know its long, but hopefully helpful!!! Let me know if you have any questions!!! Thanks again for everything girls. Love Tya
Planning BIO! / Halekulani / Aug 29 2009

Re: VENDOR REVIEW

• Options
    diorgrl8diorgrl8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the reviews girl! they really do help a LOT! hey, this may be a dumb question, but does JMJ rentals install the bamboo arch into the ground? I wasn't sure if they just drop it off... I haven't heard back from Kai in awhile...must be busy...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HI TyaThanks for those feedbacks, I have booked makeupbyvicky to come to my hotel.. I am a little worried now.. but I also have a contract so I dont want to break it and have to pay anyway... any tips I could use to ensure we get it right?Thank you for your suggestionsSimone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great feedback Tya!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing your experience!  I got a box of cookies from Honolulu Cookie Company while FI and I were in Waikiki earlier this week.  Sooooooo good!!
    Ally & Mar | 08.09.10 | The Coconut Club, Oahu
    Planning Bio-updated 06/07 | Married Bio & For SALE items

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MrsIHMrsIH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great reviews - all I have to say is that I CANNOT wait for your Shawn Starr pics... they are going to be AMAZING :) Congrats again!
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards