Hawaii
Options

Newbie Knottie and Maui Bride to be

Hi Ladies! What a great community here!  I am so excited to become a part of this.  :-)I am from Southern California and planning a DW wedding in Maui on April 24, 2010. We are expecting about 50 guests.  I am a DIY'r and doing everything sans wedding coordinator. I need a bit of advice with regard to favors for children under 10.  Since we have to ship them, I would like something fairly small, that I can make/do myself that children that age will actually like. Also, I am in a bit of a panic because we're getting closer and I can't quite figure out what to do about catering.  I can't quite stomach the thousands and thousands of dollars it will cost for a full service caterer, but I feel we definitely need to provide a full meal since our event will be a long one.  We were thinking of renting the equipment (tables, chairs, dishes) separately and possibly having a restaurant just deliver the dinner; does anyone have experience with doing it this way or know of a really affordable caterer in Maui?  We will also need a bartender and I can't seem to find anyone that will just bartend for 6 hours or so... Lastly, here is a list of the vendors I am thinking of using so if anyone has experience with them (good or bad) let me know your thoughts: A Maui Wedding Photography (Greg Hoxsie)Ace Beats (DJ)Elegant Maui Floral DesignLiz Javelosa (Make up artist)Thank you so much for reading my long post!

Re: Newbie Knottie and Maui Bride to be

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!!  There are a lot of Maui brides here.  I would click on the "hawaii knottie" picture in my siggie below, there is a list of a bunch of hawaii knotties, where they had their weddings, and their planning bios... there's lots of info about their vendors too. I don't know anything about your photographer, but kaesha just had her wedding in Maui, and her photographer, Joanna Tano, was beyond amazing.  I'm sure she'll reply to this post, maybe with a link to her pictures from Joanna, I would recommend her, and I've never even met her!  I'm from SoCal too, welcome, and have fun planning your wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fun.....welcome!!!! For the small children in our wedding we are doing coloring books and small stuff like that but all with a beach theme. We are using Greg Hoxsie also!!!! He is such an easy great guy to work with. My wedding is in like 6 weeks so I will have a better review for you once our wedding has happenend, but so far he is awesome!!!! If you need any more help don't hesitate to post, the maui brides on here, and other islands too are super helpful, check out some of the Bio's of the people who post, the bios have tons of ideas!!!! Usually the like is right by their picture in the signature!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photog (Joanna Tano) was amazing, I completely agree!! There's a link to her blog in my signature.Okay, so what are you looking for in terms of an "affordable" caterer? I think Reese (it was Reese, wasn't it?) used Bentos by Bernard and paid something like less than 20$ per person. Last I heard about Cafe O'Lei, they could do 3 course meals for about 40$ p/p. I'm going to shout out my caterers too, because they were AMAZING (Celebrations Catering), but they were pretty pricey (we paid 80$ p/p for a buffet & pupus).Haven't a few people used Ace Beats? I feel like it's come pretty highly recommended...
  • Options
    brandymclawsbrandymclaws member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much, ladies.  I feel as though I have stumbled on the treasure chest of wedding planning - it's so great to chat with other brides planning a DW!  I feel helpless sometimes trying to plan everything from a distance without any tangible proof of my efforts, and you have already provided me with more comfort than being there to see it for myself.As far a affordable catering, I am not sure what to consider affordable.  One quote that I have received so far is $135 p/p, and that includes tables, linens, dishes, food, chairs, bar set up, bartender, tax, gratuity, and staff - does that seem about right?Also, does anyone have experience with the vacation rental company called "Vacation Rentals on Maui?"  This is the company we are using to rent the villa where our reception will be held:  http://www.vacationrentalsonmaui.com/maui-vacation-rentals/properties_main.php?id=98Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! What villa are you having your wedding at? I have heard Ace Beats is good and several knotties have used him. I'm using DJ Ron Tolbert and have heard fantastic things about him. I"ll be able to give a review in 2 months. In terms of caterers, I think many of them should be able to work within your budget. I am using Soup to Nuts and even though I'm using a WC, I have personally been in contact with them myself and they are great and very responsive! I totally customized my own menu and I'm sure they could help you come up with something. They come with a bartender, so you wouldn't have to worry about finding one separately. You can check out my bio for links to different vendors. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pbkmompbkmom member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out the property rules at kilohana? Some properties have limitations on the number of guests allowed. Also the noise ordinances vary but 10 pm is max. Celebrations catering is fantastic and I would talk to them. I found a florist through them who has been wonderful and very reasonable, Val Spalding. Cafe O Lei is cheaper and reliable.. see Pug rolls bio for info on their food.Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the boards!  The ladies on this board are great and super helpful!  I don't have any experience with the vendors you listed above but if you're interested, I have a list of the vendors I did use (along with a review) in my bio.  You should definitely look up Reese's bio... her knottie name is "thoperopesope"... and the hawaii brides bio.Here's the link to thoperopesope's bio (it's not on the hawaii brides bio list): http://tinyurl.com/cy9e9mAnd here's the link to the Hawaii Brides Bio: http://tinyurl.com/yak7my3
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aloha!Welcome to the board!!!  I'm a Maui bride, too!  Our wedding date is March 10, 2010. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you.  We're not having a big celebration in Maui - it's just the two of us :). YOU WILL LOVE THIS BOARD! Everyone is so supportive and helpful.  Happy planning!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board. I'm not a Maui bride, so I'm no help with vendors. Everyone here is great, though, so feel free to keep the questions coming.
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!!! In terms of a caterer cafe o lei has a restaurant and a catering segment so they may be able to help you. Depending on the kind of food you would like to serve Da Kithen can cater Hawaiin type food. HTH! Congrats on your engagement! J. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards