Hawaii
Options

Needing to vent

So although I have been stressed, only today did I have my mini-bridezilla moment. I went to my venue (Hickam AFB Officer's Club) to meet with the site coordinator... and I found out there's going to be another wedding going on at almost the exact same time right next door. By right next door I mean literally a short walkway away (I still don't know how that's going to work with the two DJs)... and while we're starting our dinner, in the background will be a ceremony. AND we have to cut our photos short in a particular location (the main spot I wanted my photos) because they are going to have their ceremony there. I'm just so freaking frustrated because the coordinator never mentioned this beforehand... or even that there was a possibility to have a wedding next door at the same time. Plus the wedding next door is growing in size (up to 160) and mine continues to shrink as people keep canceling (down to 78) and I have the HUGE venue area and they have a tiny area. It's just so weird and maybe it's bridezilla-ish of me, but I am frustrated about this. I don't want to have another wedding going on in the background of my wedding... and I definitely don't want to hear another wedding reception while we're trying to have our own. Ugh... I know there's nothing I can do about this so I have to just deal with it but I had to vent. :( Very frustrating... P.S. - what's funny is FI understood how frustrated I was (and wasn't too thrilled about all this either) but he told me that when we get home I should write to "my knotties" cause they'll understand. He was so proud of himself for knowing the "lingo". :)

Re: Needing to vent

• Options
    AngelshannAngelshann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AWW that really does suck Cristin!! And you are not being a bridezilla about it at all. I would be pissed...especially about the pictures!! This is your special day and you don't want your guests to be distracted by another wedding going on. The coordinator should have mentioned something to you about the other wedding...a heads up would have been kinda nice. I wonder if the other couple knows that your wedding will be at the same time. Makes me wonder if the coordinator told them yet. I would double check with the Officers' Club to make sure they will have enough staff to cover both events especially if dinner is going to be served around the same time. I am sure they will have no problem though. It will all work out though!! That was sweet of your FI to tell you to write to your knotties!! Vent to us anytime girl!!
  • Options
    diorgrl8diorgrl8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh my gosh seriously? that is sooo frustrating that no one ever mentioned the possibility to you, that way you could have at least moved your time so it's not overlapping another wedding... what did your coordinator suggest you do about the noise? I'm so sorry about this! I hope it works itself out. Sending you lots of good vibes...you def. didn't need this news soooo close to your day
  • Options
    mzkel_reneemzkel_renee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww!! I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I dont know what to say to make it better but I hope everything works out for you! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is very frusturating and I would be very annoyed too! I'm sorry about all this but hopefully you and your guests will not notice the other wedding going on and everything will work out smoothly. Sending vibes your way!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Make sure that you write reviews on weeding websites. Not to trash them, but just to warn future brides. Maybe they will fix the problem if people start speaking up.I am sorry! I would still write a letter to management and let them know what has happened and that the communication sucked on there part.Maybe they will cut you a break?!?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cristin, that majorly sucks!!  wait, do people still say things like that?  Well, I guess I do because I am hopelessly outdated. I am really feeling for you, and sending MAJOR vibes that everything will go well!! Do you know how much time you'll have at the photo area now that it's cut short?  Why don't you talk to your photog about what kind of photos you want there, and/or how long he thinks it will take to take all of what he wants there.  Maybe it will be okay! And you know what both venue areas, the small and the large, look like, right?  Would you want the smaller one?  would you want to switch with the other bride or is that worse?  She prob won't be willing to pay an extra cost for it, but if your reception looks and feels better for you in a smaller room, than maybe that's something to consider, if it's a possibility.Or just focusing all the tables, dance floor, etc., in one portion of the room so that it keeps people closer and keeps things at whatever intimacy level you want it.  I really think it's okay if there is open space in the back or something like that. Eek, they are AWFUL for not telling you about the other wedding!!!! my SIL's wedding was at an airforce base on Oahu too, forget which one, but they also had a wedding going on outside the doors of the reception.  We really didn't notice.  When you start your dinner, will everyone's eyes be naturally directed to the ceremony that is outside/nearby?  If not, I don't think anyone will notice, and I don't think you should worry about the other bride. Sorry if I'm being ruthless, but it's your wedding that's important here, and it may be that your reception is distracting to her ceremony more than the other way around, and I say, who cares?  I want things to go your way!I think you will be SO happy to be married that you won't notice the other reception.  Well at least I am sending tons of vibes that that will be the case.  And if they are too loud, send a BM or groomsman over and see if you guys can come to a mutual agreement on sound levels that DJ plays at.It will be okay, irish!!!  the strength of the almighty knottie vibes are strong - they worked for me, and I know they'll work for you!
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh!! Seriously?? I can not believe your coordinator didn't tell you. How convenient for her. I would be livid!!!! I really hope it ends up working out. I think there will be a lot going on with your own wedding, so maybe the other one won't really distract you or your guests. I would let my coordinator know how I felt though....I would give her an earful for sure!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just thought of something . . . were you guys thinking of seeing each other before the ceremony? If you don't mind doing that, then maybe you and FI can get your pictures taken in that area where you wanted a lot of your photos done. That way you won't have to worry about your time getting cut short after the ceremony. Just a thought...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Boo! They suck. You should seriously ask for some money back.
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wonder if the other bride reads this board?  That would be weird.FI actually is very protective of our venue/vendor information.  He's convinced someone will try to steal them out from underneath us (not that what we're doing is oh so different from what anyone else is doing).  I don't share that information out of an overabundance of caution, but it's something to think about.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your support ladies. I knew I could count on you all to understand. I will definitely be writing a review on this and submitting a review to the venue. For now though, nothing I can do but hope for the best. If the other bride reads this board... then hopefully now she's aware that there's another wedding going on. None of this is her fault... sucks for us both.
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe the site coordinator did not tell you about this possibility before you booked your venue.  That's just not right! On a positive note i've been to a few weddings that were in the same building but in various halls and the other weddings did not get in our way.  I'm sure all will turn out fine.  Are you able to maybe push up your ceremony by a half hour to have more time at the venue? J.
  • Options
    ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe this! I don't think it's "bridezilla" of you at all. I would be super pissed! Have you voiced this concern to your WC? Perhaps they do this all of the time and really it's not a big concern at all, meaning there is no concerns of noice of one party mixing with another, and the same with the pictures. Either way, I think this is something that should have been disclosed to you in the very beginning. I think you have every right to complain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow Cristin!  That sucks that they didn't mention anything sooner. But like a pp mentioned, I've been to a wedding where there were two receptions going on in the same hotel and we barely noticed the other group.  And I'm sure they took precautions regarding the music so that you guys can't hear each other's stuff.  But that does suck about having their ceremony while you're starting dinner.  That is a weird distraction.  I would definitely mention your concerns to your WC (if you haven't already) and see if they can do things (like arranging the tables a certain way) so that your guests aren't easily distracted by the other ceremony/wedding.Try not to stress!  It'll all work out in the end!  Your big day is almost here!  Yay!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    LilSwtAzynLilSwtAzyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is super sucky ducky!!! I know its annoying now but I'm sure at the end f your beautiful wedding day you aren't even going to notice that they are there.. you will be so focused on your perfect day and you perfect new husband that you'll only see your ceremony and your reception and focus only on the things around you.. its giong to be beautiful and perfect. You can't do anything right now so just take a deep breath... accept it for what it is.. and move on
    Planning BIO! / Halekulani / Aug 29 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards