Hawaii
Options

In the news: Interracial couple denied marriage license

Hi Knotties, At The Knot offices, we're all discussing the story about the interracial couple who was denied a marriage license. If you haven't heard the story, read it here: http://tinyurl.com/8jky8g What we're really curious about is whether or not discrimination is more common in wedding planning than we thought. Have you or anyone you know faced discrimination (racial, gender, budget, etc.) while planning your wedding? Click on the link below to take our poll. http://tinyurl.com/yfacur9

Re: In the news: Interracial couple denied marriage license

• Options
    Samaralynn23Samaralynn23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH I KNOW, i seen it on facebook and posted it. He's not getting paid to have an opinion regardless of what his opinion is and honestly is really someones job out there to worry about interracial babies, come on what century are we in. Not that people can't have their opinion but I was stationed there for five years and you'd be suprised how small minded some of those perish people are but it's just not there. I had another experience with family in Oklahoma i was in shock when a comment was made about a young black couple being in a mexican eatery. Times haven't changed at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are interracial and so far, thank goodness, we haven't experienced any discrimination...I just think that is awful!
  • Options
    licia9880licia9880 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This story sadly did not surprise me. FI and I are an interracial couple and we lived down south in Alabama for a couple years. We definitely experienced some discrimination while living there. Looks, comments, etc. I do not believe it is the majority view, but does still exist. I actually really liked living there, but definitely had concerns about raising children there. FI and I have lived in 4 states together (I've lived in 7) and have not experienced this elsewhere. Years later we have two beautiful "hapa" babies and I cannot begin to wrap my mind around this simple-minded hatred!I believe this type of discrimination probably still occurs in many areas of the country. Fortunately, that is not the case in Hawaii! Hawaii is truely a melting pot of cultures. Sorry for me rant...this topic gets me fired up since it is so near and dear to my heart :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards