Hawaii

Maui venues?

I just got engaged and we are beginning the search for venues  in the Wailea/Kehei area, and we're on a budget.  Our party will range from 70-100 guests.  We've been to the Seawatch for another wedding and know about all the service fees even for things that you book yourself.  If you have anywhere that is just as beautiful, please let me know, and a price range for where you booked.  We really like the Haiku mill on the other end of the island.  If anywhere went there, please let me know how much it ran you!!Also-looking for a great rehearsal dinner spot that will fit all of our guests for under $2500!!!  If you know-please share! Thanks!

Re: Maui venues?

• edited December 2011
    I was married in Wailea (at the Fairmont) and just based on all my research, SeaWatch really seemed to be the most affordable place we found in the area. Although I think you could look into renting a house and getting a caterer, which depending on who you hired, could work out better. Good luck!
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on what type of venue you are seeking and your budget.  On the south side there is the Sugarman Estate where you can have your ceremony and reception; at the Four Seasons there is Spago either the patio or private dinning room which requires a minmum of $5000 in food/alcohol, and Ferraro's which is located outside oceanside; the Five Palms in Kihei where you can have your ceremony and reception; a luau at the Marriott or the Prince Hotel; and, private houses that you can rent out for the day via a WC in addition to the hotels in the wailea area.  From what i've seen and heard the Haiku Mill is gorgeous but very expensive...i believe the fee is $4500 plus coordination fees.  For a rehearsal dinner their is Cafe o lei in Kihei and on the west side there is the Hula Grill, and Mama's Fish House in the north...they also offer ceremonies and receptions. HTH! J. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    With that many guests you definitely have to go with the hotel or private estate route. I'm having about 90 guests at Sugarman Estate which is definitely large enough for you. It can get pricey because you have to bring in everything yourself, but there are definitely many ways to cut down costs by doing your research and also committing yourself to DIY projects. It was also really important to us that we had privacy, especially with our large group. We didn't want to have to worry about random people wandering around during the ceremony and reception and that is why we didn't look at hotels. As for rehearsal dinner, it may be tough to do it on that budget because you have so many people but look into Mulligan's on the Blue and Cafe O'Lei Dunes at Maui Lani. I remember when I contacted some restaurants they required a buyout which is very expensive -- I was going to suggest Seawatch too, but they would probably be a place that would require a buyout. I'm not sure where you plan on staying, but if there are a bunch of you staying at condos maybe you could do a casual bbq or something. Good luck and happy planning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We were expecting to have about 100 guests as well.  I have some scouting photos of Sugarman Estate, Hoku Lani & the Fairmont in my bio.  Hoku Lani is gorgeous but you would have to book everything through First Class Weddings and they charge a 20% fee for everything also.  You're best bet might be Sugarman Estate and maybe hire Lori from Tropical Maui Weddings.  I believe she only charges a flat fee (based on how much you would need her) instead of 20% of everything.  How tight of a budget are you on?  You could look into having the ceremony at one place then having the reception at another like pp mentioned.How fancy of a rehearsal dinner spot are you looking for?  We went the casual route, Maui Brewing Company (on the west of the island though), and spent $1500 for 76 guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!  I'm not having any guests come to Maui, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board.
  • mzkel_reneemzkel_renee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!! You should check out mauiweddingassociation.com if you havent already. They have a bunch of information as well as venues listed. HTH and good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    wow, thanks for all the great info. i think we're going to try and hone down our invitee list and make just a wedding announcement list with a big group of people in it.  i think this way we can afford to do a nicer wedding and rehearsal dinner.  do ya'll think we can a wedding in 40-50 guests for 20 grand or under?
  • 1970sutter1970sutter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  Congratulations on your engagement!  I am getting married at the Haiku Mill in May next year.  It is far from the main accommodations and it rains more in the area, but it is gorgeous & unique in person as well!  (I went to check out the venue last month.)   The site fee is $4500 for under 100 people, and they charge $200 bridal suite fee and $200 site liaison fee if you bring your own coordinator.  There is a on-site coordinator that charges 20% of your wedding budget.  Hope this helps.
  • lchinaxlchinax member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How was the Haiku Mill?  Are you pleased that you chose this venue.  I have this placed booked for next May and I might scream if one more person tells me it rains all the time.  Did you have rain?  How accomodating was the Haiku mill coordinators and owners?  Who did you catering?  Were you pleased.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards