Hawaii

Accommodations on Maui

Where did you stay or where are you planning to stay on Maui?

Did anyone reserve rooms for guests or just leave it to them to choose where to stay?

Thanks!

Re: Accommodations on Maui

• edited December 2011
    Hi!  We set up a room block at the Sheraton Maui Resort in Ka'anapali and got a great rate through Ryan in their sales department.  Most of our family and friends will be staying there since we are providing transportation to the wedding site (Olowalu) from there, and also there's a free hotel shuttle into downtown Lahaina, where we are having our welcome happy hour the night before.

Some people are choosing to do their own thing, but since 90% of our guests are not familiar with Maui, we thought it would be nice to give them the hotel option.

HTH!
    image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We made a few suggestions in different price points for our guests and recommended they do their own research. I had NO idea what kind of travellers people were... and thought more would want to stay in a hotel.

Anyway, we, my parents, my husband's parents and my aunt/uncle + cousins all stayed at condos (we had 4) at the Kahana Village - which is where we hosted our welcome bbq. GREAT location and beautiful condos! Many of our guests elected to stay at the Polynesian shores condos just down the street. Really, we're all budget travellers - only two of our guests stayed in a hotel in the end!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find that you get a lot more for your money by renting a condo from individual owners on vrbo.com or even a property management company than staying at resorts, so I put together a list of well-reviewed condo buildings on our website.  When you rent a condo you can get an ocean view, full kitchen, laundry, and more room for often much less (like under $200) than you would at a resort.

I picked the buildings to list on our website based on the recommendations of Maui Revealed's online recommendations (http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html).  Everyone's staying at a building that they like, based on what fits them best.

• pbkmompbkmom member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    With an Olowalu wedding, then Lahaina, Kaanapali area is your best bet. We booked Kaanapali Alii through VRBO as it is cheaper than the management company. However these are better to share with another couple or family as they run over $300/night. We checked out the Royal Lahaina Resort and also Puamana condos. Our budget minded guests got a very good rate at the Maui Eldorado and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. The Sheraton and Westin are great properties IF you can get a good rate. I did try and organize and find deals for the guests. I was surprised to find that expedia packages offered the best price for air and hotel of any of the sites.. saved several hundred dollars per person over booking it individually.
  • edited December 2011
    We haven't booked our accommodations yet, but if you're a costco member you may want to look at their packages.  So far they have the best deals for flight/hotel/rental car.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked a room block at The Westin on Kanaapali and got a really great rate....all of our guests are so excited to stay there! The rooms and the grounds look amazing and it's right in the middle of the action. We were also able to score upgrades for our room, and for each of our moms and get them to reduce the resort fee. All of our guests are staying there, it's just easier....we put all of the booking info up on our wedding website.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We're recommending that our guests stay in Kihei.  For Olowalu brides, Kihei Bay Vista is a nice condo across the street from the beach in North Kihei (closer to Olowalu).  One-bedroom condos with kitchen, laundry, etc. for about $100/night.
  • ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Many of our family members are staying in condos at Kahana Village on the west side. We stayed there a couple of years ago and we absolutely loved it there. Very private, well kept, nice beach, pool, outdoor kitchen, and great units. Can't say enough about them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Not getting married in Maui but the Hyatt in Kaanapali was awesome when I stayed there a few years back.
  • edited December 2011
    We're staying at the Westin Maui on Ka'anapali Beach. No one is invited, so no need for guest accommodations. We got a good rate on flight & hotel through Orbitz during a 1-day sale though noticed that Expedia typically had the best rates.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • discobellediscobelle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are staying at the Wailea Mariott.  Most of our guests are, too.

I also recommended the Mana Kai Maui and Hotel Wailea as other options that were less expensive on our wedding website.

My fiance's family found a good deal on a condo through vrbo.  I think it's at the Wailea Grand Champions.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I feel so overwhelmed with this.  I'm trying to figure out something that will suit most of my guests and promote people getting together casually (like a condo with a common area).  We are getting married in Wailea, but I'm thinking that most will enjoy a stay near Ka'anapali/Lahaina with more to do.  Please help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards