Hawaii

tips or thank you gift?

I read somewhere that other than the hair&make up person,  none of the other vendors is expecting a tip is that true? How much should I tip te hair & make up person? 20%? I am already spending almost $1200 for two stylist to come to our house to do 5 people's hair & make up including mine, 20% extra would mean another $240. We are paying one of the stylist $45 traveling fee.

As for the other vendors, photographers, videographers, DJ, catering manager, wedding coordinator should we do tip or thank you gift?

Anyone care to share their experience?

Re: tips or thank you gift?

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a great post, I'm wondering the exact same thing!!  I read that a 15-20% tip is usually expected for H&M, but that seems like an exorbitant amount (more than the cost of H&M for the bride!).  Can anyone else offer any tips/advice on this?

• edited December 2011
    I had seen this on the knot earlier...
    http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-budget/articles/wedding-vendor-tipping-cheat-sheet.aspx

I just about had a heart attack, especially as you said, travel fees are included and you often get charged by the half hour.  I definitely don't plan to tip this way, but I have invited our key vendors to join us for a whale watching cruise the next day (coordinator, caterer & chef, videographers, photographers).

I found this set of guidelines more reasonable:
    http://www.frugalbride.com/tipping.html

Would love to hear what other Hawaiian Knotties have done too
  • edited December 2011
    I'll be honest....for hair and makeup I think I did 17%...I don't know why that amount, I blame nerves and champagne and not being able to do simple math when I wrote her the check.
    Photography...I read that photographers take in account everything when they price their packages and don't expect a tip so I did not tip our photographer.  I did leave reviews for her because she was so great.
    Our wedding cooridinator...since our wedding was so small and honestly didn't require much I didn't tip her at all.  I felt that the price of the package plus all the add ons was more then enough and I figured she took that in account with pricing her packages.  Not to mention I did not receive the right lei for my husband.

I didn't have anybody else to tip :)
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Tanq, I love your idea! We will be hosting a mahalo brunch two days after so i think i will ask my WC, photogs, videographers...but they're from oahu so i doubt they will still be in town...so need to think about this one, dj...not sure about caterer tho to join us. Thx. J. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards