Hawaii

**carrieoz**

Hey,

I was just reading your post on the hairstyle thread and came to realize after looking at your bio that we have quite a bit in common with some of our weddng ideas...... I was hopping I could pick your brain a little on your experiences??

first of all it was nice to get your feedback on the hair... judging by the pics our hair looks to be about the same length and you had pretty much the same hairstyle I'm looking for (and veil).

Makena Surf is also the beach we are getting married on. I just read in your bio that you specifically picked one entrance - are there several to chose from? and is it going to be difficult directing guests to exactly where you need them to be, I tried finding an address or something for our invitations but so far have come up with nothing? Did you come down after everyone in the "traditional" form with your Dad? I haven't been sure that it was a possibility with the more casual set up on the beach - I really hope to? and also I'm not sure how many guests you had but did you find the beach suitable for say a group of about 20 people? Sorry I know a lot of questions - I know I could ask my coordinator but it might be nice to get the point of view of someone who's been in my shoes before.

I also noticed that you went to 5 palms after the ceremony..... I am looking for somewhere open late enough after a sunset wedding and am tossing between this place and Sorento's.... did you look into Sorento's at all? and if so would you still pick 5 palms over it?? Did you stay in your dress or did you change?

Again, Sorry for such a loaded post - can you tell I'm getting a tad overwhelmed LOL

Crystal
451x156 proportions
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: **carrieoz**

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there!  I saw saw your post and will post responses below.

I just read in your bio that you specifically picked one entrance - are there several to chose from?
    I think there are two beaches in front of the Makena Surf condos.  Neither public entrance to their beaches is well marked.  The first, which is on the north side of Makena Surf just past the resort (the Fairmont?) that they're next to, has about 12 parking spaces in a square shape covered by trees, with a paved path down to the beach.  We chose the second beach, which is further south than the first.  The public entrance is marked by a yellow fire hydrant and a small utility building.  The lot has about 6 spaces, is more rectangular shape, and not as covered by trees.  There is street parking there, though.  Also a paved path, at the bottom of which are shaded steps (!) down to the beach, which is very small - greenery to the right and left, then rocks on both sides.  It's quite intimate, and not very busy.

Makena Surf is also the beach we are getting married on.and is it going to be difficult directing guests to exactly where you need them to be, I tried finding an address or something for our invitations but so far have come up with nothing?
    We actually chose Po'olenalena Beach initially, and that's what we put on our invitations.  Then when we got to Maui we changed our location.  I made sure to tell everyone of the new location at the Welcome Dinner, and that night I handed out an itinerary with directions to our wedding locations, including the beach, and a cell number for our WC in case anyone got lost (which they did).  The key is that the lot for the 2nd entrance is after Makena Rd, but I learned afterwards that there are are two turnoffs for Makena Rd, and people turned at the first one, but we meant for them to turn into the lot after the second.  For invitations, I think simpler is better - just give them the name of the beach (Makena Surf Second Beach - at least, that's what our wedding certificate says!), and you can provide directions on your website, emails, and in talking to people over the coming months.

Did you come down after everyone in the "traditional" form with your Dad?  I haven't been sure that it was a possibility with the more casual set up on the beach - I really hope to?
    You can totally have a traditional entrance!  I did.  This actually works perfectly on the Makena Surf beaches because both have a paved path leading down to them.  Our guests gathered on the beach with our WP, then when everyone was ready the WC got me and my Dad, and down we went.  The bottom of the path was shaded, and then there were steps down to the beach - perfect for a wedding entrance!

and also I'm not sure how many guests you had but did you find the beach suitable for say a group of about 20 people?

We had 29 guests, plus an officiant, WC, two photographers, and H and myself, and even Makena Surf 2nd Beach wasn't too packed.  I think there are other even smaller beaches that our size wouldn't have worked at, but at this one we fit perfectly.  If there had been another wedding there, we may have had issues.  Our WC waited until the last minute to get the permit for the space - so she could check to see if anyone else had gotten a permit there, in which case we'd have needed to decide whether to change our time or location.  But no one had, so we were fine!

Just a word to the wise - people can't hear very much when it's windy at the beach.  H and I could hear the officiant and each other, and I know some of the guests who stood closer could hear, but people who stay to the back won't hear much.  I've actually experienced that as a guest at other outdoor locations, and didn't really care, but you might want to advise your parents and besties to stand closer - there's no reason people need to stay back anyways.

did you look into Sorento's at all? and if so would you still pick 5 palms over it??
    I looked at Gannon's, Five Palms, and Mulligan's.  We needed to stay in a budget, so I didn't look at the more spendy places in Wailea.  Ultimately, the location of the Five Palms - right on the water - won us over.  We were happy with them, and would go there again (we'd just be more assertive with the beverage bill).  But I'm sorry - I'm not able to compare them to Sorrento's, since I've never eaten there.

Did you stay in your dress or did you change?
    I stayed in my dress through dinner and until after I danced wtih my dad, then I changed to a white sundress.  After dinner, we actually moved to a third location for cake and dancing - our inn.  When I got there I danced with my dad and H and friends a bit, then was too hot to bear it anymore and changed.  By the time H and I served our cake and pie, I was in the sundress.

Sorry for such a loaded post - can you tell I'm getting a tad overwhelmed
    No problem!  I know how you feel.  There are a lot of details that can be overwhelming.  I just tried to be methodical and deal with them one at a time.  Then if anything was too much or too time-consuming, I either got help with it or I decided not to do it.  Remember - it's your and your FI's experience, and that of your guests, that matters the most.  The rest really is just details.

Have fun!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and I just found a link to a Makena Surf map below.  You might try googling Makena Surf to see if you can find anything better.  But at least you can see that there are two beaches, and this gives you the address for the condo building.  The 2nd beach one is the one further south (to the right), and is slightly cut off on this map.

http://bookings.mauirental.com/site/Location/PropertyID__33958/gclid__CNmrp7PZxqUCFRRKgwodM1sWZg/10951/DesktopDefault.aspx?PropertyID=33958&gclid=CNmrp7PZxqUCFRRKgwodM1sWZg&PageID=10951
  • cryssvcryssv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!!! So much good info and feel a lot better about it. I'm totally gonna print this off so I have it in my planning book LOL

Ur the best!!
    451x156 proportions
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards