Hawaii

Newly Engaged and Need Help Planning

Hi everyone! I'm Bella! I'm a new knottie. Just started planning my wedding for sometime next year (Shooting for fall/winter 2011). I need help finding a venue that doesnt' charge an arm and a leg for a ceremony or reception area.

I am looking for a venue where I can get married on the grass overlooking the beach. I recently checked out some estates/beach houses, but they are soooo expensive!

My budget is under 7k for the wedding with a guestlist of about 40-50 people (I'm still crossing people off my list =/  ). It may seem pretty low but I really want it low key!

Id like to have a ceremony at a beach house and get vendors/caterers but I can't seem to find the right location.

My other option is to have the ceremony on the beach (which isn't to expensive) and have a reception at a nice restaurant. I was even thinking of Ola's.

I would appreciate any feedback or tips from anyone. Thank you and I look forward in getting to know all of you! =)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Newly Engaged and Need Help Planning

• edited December 2011
    Congrats!!  Do you have an island in mind?
  • edited December 2011
    Oh YES duh forgot to mention that...Oahu! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your engagement and decision to be a Hawaii bride Bella! 

Unfortunately I don't know much about Oahu, but check out www.vrbo.com and see if you can find any rental houses that may allow special events.  That may be a cheaper way to go about finding a venue that you like. 

Otherwise, keep chopping  that list!  I had a grand idea of having a small wedding, but it instantly ballooned to 60 people.  I am happy now, but at first I was kind of upset because we were trying to keep costs low and it is not cheap to throw a wedding, especially since we are going for quality over quantity.  So yes, we are over budget, but our wedding is going to be fabulous and totally worth it - and I'm sure yours will be also!  Good luck in your planning! 

Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    welcome to the board! :)

you can check in to lanikuhonua -- it's really popular with oahu brides.
    there are pics in my bio of it. it's grassy, private, and right next to the beach.
    we had a budget of $28K for 200 people, so it's definitely doable :)
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone! I'm still getting used to the site.

I did check out Lanikohonua but it just seems sooooo expensive. That venue is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING though. Does anyone know how much it costs just to have an event there?

I would have to rent a tent, chairs, silverware/tableware, etc right? Does anyone know how much that would add up too for about 50 people? I guess I'll look into some vendors.

I really don't want to hire a wedding planner/coordinator to keep costs down. I also have a few friends that are completely helpful and are insisting they are willing to coordinate so I think I'm going that route...Kiss
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Bella, I don't know about the venue but we are feeding 50-60 people in Maui for about $5K, including tables, linens, dinnerware, silverware, etc.  I think you could find a caterer on Oahu with a similar setup.  And, we chose more expensive food, if you keep it basic - or maybe do a Hawaiian pig roast, you can keep the costs in your range for sure!
  • edited December 2011
    WOW! Really? I'd love to pick your brain as to how you are going about this. I found a caterer with excellent food and a fantastic price!

Our first option was actually Maui but we changed the location to Oahu to better accomodate family/friends.

Would you be willing to share how you went about planning your special day? I'd really love to get a breakdown and also how you were able to pick a venue. There are so many decisions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely!  I'll send you a PM...   :) 
    edited December 2011
    Or maybe not - when I try to PM you it tells me that the User Cannot be Found....weird! 
    Shoot me an email at:  feala1120@yahoo.com and I'll give you some info!
  • edited December 2011
    send me an email if you want some numbers on rentals (tables, chairs, etc) and food stuff. candc.oneill at yahoo dot com.

lani isn't as daunting of a place as it seems :)
  • edited December 2011
    Look up Hale Kekela - it's a pretty affordable beach house site. 
  • edited January 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards