Hawaii

Destination Wedding - Traveling with the Dress

Hello,

Any advice from those that had to travel with a wedding dress? I just called Hawaiian Airlines and the person on the phone told me they did not have any closets I could use on the flight. I'd have to bring the dress and put it in an overhead or under my seat. Seriously??
Or I could check it. NO WAY!
One more thing to worry about now.

Looking for advice from anyone that has had to do this.

Thanks!

Re: Destination Wedding - Traveling with the Dress

• edited December 2011
    i think it depends on the flt attendants. the nice ones will stow it in the capt's locker which is a full length closet. Otherwise yeah, i would vote for overhead bins on top of people's luggage.  Im flying Hawaiian too, (FI's parents both work for them) keeping my fingers crossed
  • edited December 2011
    not sure about hawaiian, but smile and be extra nice to flight attendants. the worker at the gate told me "yeah, sorry you're going to have to check that." 

i basically told him to F off and when i got on the plane, the flight attendant had the biggest smile on her face and asked me if i wanted her to hang it.

so hopefully you get someone nice too!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put mine in an overhead compartment and laid it flat with nothing on top of it.  It was fine!  Or, I would have been fine with folding it in half in an overhead compartment.  I'd probably have had to have it steamed when we got it to HI if we'd done that, but I know people who've put it in the overhead compartment and it turned out fine.
  • misslolmisslol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine will be bundled up in a hand luggage travel case.  I'm planning to have mine steamed there.
    December Siggy Challenge
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Where we met - Mount Isa
    a small mining town in the Australian Outback. Neither of us are from there but we both moved there in the second last year of highschool. He was moved next to me in maths class to stop him talking. It didn't work.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am taking mine on the plane if I have to wear it!!  I am hoping I can put it in the closet as most flight attendants are really nice and understand.  Otherwise, my FI's parents will probably fly first class and I will give it to them to take and put in the first class cabin - or worst case scenario - I will just have my family 'claim' one of the overhead bins (we are going to be over 1/4 of the plane) and I'll put it on top of their bags.  That's the good part about having so many people go on the same plane!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I saw a girl on one of my flights recently who just laid her dress in the overhead on top of everything, it was fine.  I'm not going to stress about it since there's no other choice - I'm not checking it!  You may get lucky and have somewhere to hang it but I wouldn't count on it.
  • edited December 2011
    I folded mine carefully in the overhead compartment too. It was fine when I got it out!
  • edited December 2011
    My friend works for an airline and he told me to bring the flight attendants candy...specifically gummy bears.  I flew American and honestly they were so excited and took my dress from me and it was fine....then when I gave them gummy bears they were like WOOOOHOOOO.  The inter-island flight I had to lay it across my husband, his mom and myself.  On the way back I folded it and put it under the seat :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice ladies! Feeling better about it already. Going to kill them with kindness and gummy bears! Laughing
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine ended up being folded in half in the overhead compartment from MSP to ORD, then it was in the closet from ORD to HNL.  It came out fine; I hung it out when we got to the hotel room for a few days and it dewrinkled itself, no steaming required.

On the way back, it's rolled up into a ball in our luggage.  lol  I don't care how wrinkly it gets now!
  • edited December 2011
    I flew Hawaiian and didn't even have to ask.... the flight attendant saw the pink bag and just took it from me to hang it up in the first class cabin, no problem! The closet wasn't long enough for the dress, but that didn't matter.

I also firmly attached a luggage tag to it/the hanger. Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    omg i'm STRESSING about that too!!
    I still haven't decided what to do about it. I contacted United and they basically said 'Sorry we don't care figure it out yourself. And no, we cannot hang it for you." Sooo I don't quite know what I'm going to do yet either! But I guess I have about 4 months to decide! :)
  • sparklygoofansparklygoofan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this post is old but just wanted to add my two cents since I am a flight attendant.  :)  If they have a closet on the plane, I don't see why they wouldn't hang it for you.  Some FAs are bitchy but most are not.  We're not allowed to hang anything in the actual cockpit since 9/11 so that's not an FA being mean, its just the law.

I fly on a plane that doesn't have any closets so my bags and the pilots bags have to go in the overhead bins too.  I would just lay it across the tops of bags in the overhead bin and it should be perfectly safe and wrinkle-free.  Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you!  I can't wait to stress about this myself next year!
  • edited December 2011

I just wanted to share something I learned from a local cleaner/preservation shop that specializes in bridal gowns. The rep said they can clean and/or steam the dress and package it in a preservation box that will fit in the overhead bin. The box is quite sturdy and is the size of a small suitcase that would normally be allowed as a carryon. When you arrive at your destination, just unpack, hang, and it should be wrinkle free. I'm considering this for my wedding next year. Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards