Hawaii
Options

Roll Call + Poll! Regs and newbies, please join in!

Hey everyone! Happy Friday! It's been so great to see so many new faces on the board and more people becoming regulars. I hope you'll all chime in here on today's poll, because really, this is such a great community and we want everyone's participation!

Who are you:
Wedding date & location:
Wedding colours:

And now for the NWR stuff!

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards)
Do you like it?
If you could be doing something else, what would you do?

Where did you go to high school?
What high school stereotype would you most identify with?
If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give?

Favourite non-alcoholic drink:
Favourite alcoholic drink:
Favourite tv shows:
Last book you read:
Last vacation you took:
Favourite ice cream flavour:

Where do you see yourself in five years time?

Re: Roll Call + Poll! Regs and newbies, please join in!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: kaesha/Alyson
    Wedding date & location: August 18, 2009, Olowalu Plantation House
    Wedding colours: blue & orange

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) I teach grade 7&8 English and drama at a middle school in Toronto
    Do you like it? Most days. I like doing the grade 8's, but the grade 7's annoy me.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? Something in international development, I think.

Where did you go to high school? I went to a Catholic high school (even though I'm not Catholic) in Ottawa
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Drama geek/English nerd
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Don't wear stirrup pants (okay, that's advice to my junior high self and to my current self).

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Tea!
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Right now, it's winter sangria. I just posted the recipe to the blog.
    Favourite tv shows: Modern family, Glee
    Last book you read: Ysabel - Guy Gavriel Kay
    Last vacation you took: Mmm... probably up to my cottage this summer.
    Favourite ice cream flavour: I'm totally a lactard, but I love passionfruit sorbet!

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Hopefully teaching in Ottawa, with two kids. (We're going to start the TTC process next summer)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    already old and married, but these things are so much fun, so thanks alyson :)

Who are you: caiandcullen // cai // carole-anne (cai = my initials. well with maiden name)
    Wedding date & location: july 18, 2010, lanikuhonua
    Wedding colours: shades of pink

What do you do for a living? manage grants (read: sponsored projects) for NYU. basically, help faculty submit proposals for federal grants and then manage the money when/if it is awarded
    Do you like it? indeed, i do
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? probably a daycare :)

Where did you go to high school? hawaii
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? err.. not really sure. there were no "popular"/dorky/weird groups at our HS. everyone sort of just hung out.
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? forget about the haters. they're just jealous. AND... it's just high school!

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: hmm.. water or pepsi. terrible, i know.
    Favourite alcoholic drink: jack and coke!
    Favourite tv shows: grey's, deperate housewives, teen mom (yes, trash)... oh and MODERN FAMILY for sure. sooooooo good.
    Last book you read: working on the girl with the dragon tattoo... belated.
    Last vacation you took: back home to HI for our wedding. but headed to Jade Mountain (link) in St. Lucia in exactly 3 weeks. SUPER STOKED.
    Favourite ice cream flavour: rocky road.

Where do you see yourself in five years time? probably moved back home to HI with 1, maybe 2 kids.
  • Options
    cryssvcryssv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: Cryssv/ Crystal
    Wedding date & location: Makena Beach, Maui \ May 19, 2011
    Wedding colours: Fuschia, Black and White (Damask)

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) Medical Administration
    Do you like it? some days yes.... others definitely not LOL
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? not sure but it would definitely have a lot more money

Where did you go to high school? Victoria, BC
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Partier (unfortunately)
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? pay attention to the academic part..... you're gonna regret it later

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Coffee or diet coke
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Martini - name differs everywhere (raspberry vodka, white grape juice and soda water)
    Favourite tv shows: life unexpected, biggest loser, Dr Phil, Greys, and lately all the bridal shows on slice TV
    Last book you read: it was something by jodi picoult but I can't remember the tiltle.... I'm trying to get into the dragon tattoo book but the beginning is very S-L-O-W
    Last vacation you took: big vaca - florida 5 yrs ago, little one - vancouver last weekend
    Favourite ice cream flavour: rolo

Where do you see yourself in five years time? being a mom, owning a house and living happily ever after Smile
    451x156 proportions
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FUN!!!

Who are you: Tanq & Tonic
    Wedding date & location: March 2011 Sugarman
    Wedding colours: Yellow

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards): Software engineering
    Do you like it? Most days.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? Child & pet photographer -- no contest!

Where did you go to high school? Southern CA
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Nerd
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Don't sweat it.  Life will turn out just fine and none of this will matter.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Limeade
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Tanq & Tonic (surprise)
    Favourite tv shows: SportsCenter, How I Met Your Mother, Gossip Girl
    Last book you read: Um....
    Last vacation you took: Maui - wedding scouting trip July 2010
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Mint chip or Mocha Chip - toss up

Where do you see yourself in five years time?  Happily married & hopefully with a career as a pet photographer
  • Options
    McBeagsMcBeags member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: McBeags
    Wedding date & location: May 3, 2011 Lanikuhonua
    Wedding colours: Hot Pink and Green

What do you do for a living? Medical Device Account Manager, but about to start a new job same company in sales.
    Do you like it? LOVE it.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? I would be independently wealthy...so I could travel the world. Still working on the details to get there. :)

Where did you go to high school? Central Illinois
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? I blended well...small school
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Enjoy it...all goes too fast

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: water...let get to the next question
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Wine, Mojitos, Martinis....why stop
    Favourite tv shows: Modern Family, Glee, True Blood
    Last book you read: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series (LOVE them)
    Last vacation you took: Puerto Vallarta in this past June
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Mint Chocolate Chip

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Still working on my plan for world travel
  • Options
    kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aloha, everyone!  I've been lurking and reading posts for a few weeks now.  Figured it was about time I introduced myself. 

Who are you: kimmy kupcakes.  Yup, that's what my friends call me. Laughing

Wedding date & location:
    7/7/12 Maui, Hawaii

Wedding colours: Scarlet and aquamarine

What do you do for a living?
    Wendy's Wonderful Kids Recruiter.  I help find families to adopt children in foster care.

Do you like it?
    LOVE IT!  It's so wonderful when one of the children I've been recruiting for gets adopted!

If you could be doing something else, what would you do? Start my own tiki cupcake business.

El Molino. 

What high school stereotype would you most identify with? These high school questions are kind of odd.  It's been so long.  I never thought of myself as a stereotype.  I was friends from all different people from all different groups and did choir, drama, cheerleading, leadership and dance committee.

If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give?
    It only gets better.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink:
    Soda water with a squeeze of lime and muddled mint.

Favourite alcoholic drink: That's a hard one.  I love a really good, well made and correctly made tiki drink.  I'm a drink snob and won't drink something made incorrectly or with the wrong liquors.

Favourite tv shows: MadMen

Last book you read: I can't remember. 
    Between starting a new job in March, buying a house in April and now planning a wedding there hasn't been much time for books.  But, my favorite is I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb.

Last vacation you took: My partner, our daughter and I took a tiki road trip from Portland, OR to San Diego, CA in August.  We stopped at as many tiki places on the way to Tiki Oasis and back.  Are you noticing a theme here?  Yes, I am very much into tiki and vintage!

Favourite ice cream flavour: Coconut milk ice cream.  Just the plain vanilla.  If you haven't had coconut milk ice cream, you should. 

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Hopefully, finally getting to go to Europe!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Cai - you're not old! I swear, I refuse to be old & married, so you sure don't have to be... well... except the married part. That we definitely are!

Cryssv - I love the Biggest Loser too. It's a guilty pleasure for me!

Tanq - LOL! I was wondering where the name came from. Awesome. I had no idea there was a profession like pet photographer - that's very cool that there is one. How do you break in to that kind of business?

McBeags - Aren't those books great? They're so slow paced, but the pay-off is just fantastic.

Welcome Kimmy! I love that you work in the adoption field. I have 5 adopted cousins, and it's definitely a route I'm thinking of persuing too. Also, tiki cupcakes? What do those look like?

• Options
    kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Alyson.

Tiki cupckaes are just like regular cupcakes, but influences by tiki and Hawaiian culture and flavors when it comes to designing and decorating them
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: Jenn
    Wedding date & location: Nov 27, 2010 Waialae Country Club
    Wedding colours: Purple and Ivory

What do you do for a living? Medical Grants Administrator at Vanderbilt
    Do you like it? Totally!
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? Maybe being a high school math teacher?

Where did you go to high school? Moanalua (Hawaii)
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Band geeks! :)
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? I'd tell myself to take more AP classes so there'd be more time in college for fun time instead of classes.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Coke
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Anything fruity, wine, etc.
    Favourite tv shows: Glee, Big Bang Theory, Friends, CSI
    Last book you read: Harry potter 4 (I'm determined to reread them all before the next movie!)
    Last vacation you took: NYC with the FI this past May
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Chocolate chip cookie dough.

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Like others, definitely well traveled. We're going to south korea next summer and we're talking about london olympics in 2012 and brazil world cup 2014. maybe africa or australia in 2013? haha after that i suppose maybe we'll settle down and start popping out babies... :)
    Ben & Jenn Nov 27, 2010 Oahu
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_roll-call-poll-regs-newbies-please-join?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:813c7992-ed3b-40da-b411-ae26c12cb2ccPost:fca736c0-0532-4544-8b3a-49ac424f9a4f">Re: Roll Call + Poll! Regs and newbies, please join in!</a>:
    [QUOTE] What do you do for a living? Medical Grants Administrator at Vanderbilt

Posted by leejj3[/QUOTE]

sounds like we do something similar (if you're job is what i think it is)!! do you handle grants for medial research?
    i help with proposals and with the post-award side for Physics here at NYU. cool :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: sharkbitemiller aka Mic'
    Wedding date & location: April 20, 2012...Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    Wedding colours: I really don't have a set color theme...going for yellows, oranges, greens and browns

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) I work for a major fast food corporate office
    Do you like it? I love my job and the people that I work with/for
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? Owning and operating a food truck in Oahu

Where did you go to high school? Downey High a million years ago (or at least if feels that way)
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? I didn't know...I ditched most of the time.
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Hmm...that's a hard one...."keep enjoying life"

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Extra Hot Non-Fat Chai Tea from Starbucks
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Beers (use to be Jack and Coke until Jack and I had a disagreement and broke up. haha)
    Favourite tv shows: Dexter, LOST, Grey's, Weeds
    Last book you read: In the process (still)...Cross Country by James Patterson
    Last vacation you took: Oahu, Hawaii this past July (took the man for the first time)
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Strawberry Shortcake. YUM!

Where do you see yourself in five years time?  Seeing that we just bought our first home last year, I would say living in the same house with at least one rug rat running around. But in the fantisy world, we would be doing all of that in Oahu, HI
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sharkbite - that's so cool about the food truck! What kind of stuff do you think you'd sell? I don't suppose you have any totally awesome recipes you'd like to share? Some of the girls from my club board and I have a cooking blog that we're always looking for more recipes for!

Leejj - I hear you about the Olympics! My husband's university roomate has a house right next to one of the stadiums. I really want him to let us stay there for the Olympics!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_roll-call-poll-regs-newbies-please-join?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:813c7992-ed3b-40da-b411-ae26c12cb2ccPost:37b74e6f-5d84-41d3-b4f3-4e6359aefa1d">Re: Roll Call + Poll! Regs and newbies, please join in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roll Call + Poll! Regs and newbies, please join in! : sounds like we do something similar (if you're job is what i think it is)!! do you handle grants for medial research? i help with proposals and with the post-award side for Physics here at NYU. cool :)
    Posted by caiandcullen[/QUOTE]

I saw that! I help handle anesthesiology-related grants for medical research. I help more on the beginning side of things getting the docs and PIs to get their documents in order for the  submission process. Lots of tracking down of documents and certifications and such craziness. :) Cool beans!
    Ben & Jenn Nov 27, 2010 Oahu
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you:Missy or MelMac26
    Wedding date & location: June 23rd, 2011- Lanikuhonua Phase 2
    Wedding colours: Aqua & Coral Red

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) I am an assistant accountant for the tv show CSI
    Do you like it? Love the industry & the people I work with
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do?  Own my own resale clothes store...I like playing dress up & retail in general.

Where did you go to high school? Oshkosh North High School (WI)
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Someone who was friends w/ a lot of different types
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Take more risks earlier on in high school. Had more fun when I did later on.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Lemonade or water
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Beer or martini's
    Favourite tv shows: Modern Family, Parenthood, CSI, Amazing Race, Dexter, Big Love, The Event, The Office, 30 Rock...can you tell i work in tv & watch too much of it??
    Last book you read: Eat, Pray, Love
    Last vacation you took: I guess working in HI was a vacation? So February
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Butter pecan or Mint choc. chip

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Hopefully, in a house with a kid & a dog & in love w/ my man....in either CA or TN.
  • Options
    sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who are you:  Sarah
    Wedding date & location: 6.18.11 Makena Beach, Maui
    Wedding colours: Ocean Blue and Silver

What do you do for a living? I am a A/P, A/R and Credit Manager for a corporation and I'm also a junior high and high school sports official
    Do you like it? I love being an official, I'm bored with accounting.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? If I didn't care about bills, I would do volunteer work and only officiate.

Where did you go to high school? Phoenix, Arizona
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Jock
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? I tell my sister that no one really cares about high school afterwards. You just have to get through it and then you have a different life.  Don't sweat the small stuff if one person doesn't want to be your friend. They're not worth it.  Be exactly who you are because when you look back at the "cool kids", they're not so cool anymore.  And most of all, learn how to save your money early.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Unsweetened ice tea and soda water with a lime
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Wine
    Favourite tv shows: House, Say Yes to the Dress, Four Weddings, MTV Reality Trash TV
    Last book you read: I love any of Tudor Family books (The Other Boylen)
    Last vacation you took: Spain, France, and Italy and then 2 weeks after that Ireland.  I loved Spain and Ireland which is AMAZING and you should for sure go sometime in your life!!!  FI and I are going to go to Ireland again for our year ann.
    Favourite ice cream flavour: OMG all of them?!?  I LOVE ice cream!!!  I love the coconut milk one too.  I love cookies and cream and cookie dough. mmmmmm. This is bad thinking about it when I'm trying to lose 10 pounds haha!! 

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Well FI and I both own our own houses, so I see us selling his house and updating my house which will be the one we'll be living in.  We'll have a toddler running around by that time hopefully as well.  I hope to be cooking way more (if you knew me personally, you'd be laughing because I love going to dinner) and being very involved with my family life :)
  • Options
    aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: Aliblu/ Alex
    Wedding date & location: June 8th, 2011. Royal Lahaina Resort
    Wedding colours: Aqua and hints of orange

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) Photo Editor for a Portrait Studio
    Do you like it? Yes. most days!
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? I woud love to be in pastry baking.

Where did you go to high school? In Gardner, KS
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Umm, like shy band nerd/ drama girl
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Don't care so much about what people think, it's just high school.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Water or Pepsi (trying to kick the habit)
    Favourite alcoholic drink: Fruity drinks, probably Malibu and Pineapple Juice
    Favourite tv shows: Glee, Modern Family (the best!), The Office, The Vampire Diaries, Grey's, House, Desperate Housewives
    Last book you read: The Pact by Jodi Picoult (awesome!)
    Last vacation you took: Hilton Head, SC for a wedding.
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Mud Pie by Ben and Jerry's!

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Married, hopefully in our own house. Probably one kid, maybe 2nd on the way.
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you:  daveandjess2010 / Jessica
    Wedding date & location: July 18, 2010, Loulu Palm Estate
    Wedding colours: Navy/Sage-ish/Sand

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards)  Attorney
    Do you like it?  I like the people I work with, the job has its ups and downs
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do?  That's the million dollar question - I'm ready for a change but don't know what I should do.

Where did you go to high school?  Honolulu, HI
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with?  As cai said, there weren't the standard stereotypes at our high school - we were all nerds (haha....sorry cai and jaime!).  But I was a swimmer/waterpolo player/kayaker, so I guess I'd end up on the jock end of the spectrum.
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give?  Don't sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Coffee, water, real ginger ale
    Favourite alcoholic drink: good craft beers, champagne, and wine
    Favourite tv shows: Mad Men, Greys, The Office, and cheesy home improvement/house hunter shows
    Last book you read: The Girl Who Played With Fire (just finished and buying the third one this weekend)
    Last vacation you took: the wedding was our last plane vacation, although we didn't stay long post-wedding so it didn't feel like a true vacation; last driving vacation was to Madison, WI this past weekend.  New Zealand honeymoon in 2.5 weeks!!!
    Favourite ice cream flavour: Cookie dough, but really there isn't a flavor I don't like.

Where do you see yourself in five years time?  One, hopefully two, kids and a house.  I dont know where we will be - I'd love to move home to HI, but I know the husband is on the fence about that :)  And as everyone else has said - hopefully with some travel under our belt - we have a lot of places to see before we have kids to worry about.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    McBeags - where in central IL are you from?  Are you still in IL?  I went to law school in Champaign and had/have family in the Decatur area.  And I too LOVE the Stieg Larsson books - they start our slow, but I feel like I fly through them.  Now Im sad there is only one more left for me!
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Melmac - I grew up in Wisconsin!  I was glad to see OshKosh! 

Anyway...

Who are you:  AKWinterBride - Aka, Jen - I made this account a looong time ago. 
    Wedding date & location:  July 5, 2011 - Olowalu
    Wedding colours:  Purple, Turquoise, Fuchsia

What do you do for a living?   I am the network administrator (IT girl) for a government agency.
    Do you like it?  No
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do?  I would be a project manager, which is my post-children plan

Where did you go to high school?  Hillsboro High School - Wisconsin
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with?  Preppy, popular, athletic - small school, you can be a little of everything
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give?  The guy you're dating is a loser idiot, nothing is as dramatic as it seems, lighten up. 

Favourite non-alcoholic drink:  Diet Pepsi or Pina Colada Smoothie
    Favourite alcoholic drink:   Tequila shots
    Favourite tv shows:  True Blood
    Last book you read:  The Help
    Last vacation you took:  Maui, last summer - I am going nuts to get out of this state!
    Favourite ice cream flavour:  I am lactose intolerant, so I don't have one! 

Where do you see yourself in five years time?   Still in Alaska, married, hopefully with 2 babies! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I would build a website with the photos I already have, and then start taking some portraits for free to build up the portfolio.  Our dog already has a blog today & a humble group of readers... I just really love taking dog photos.  Here are some recent ones...

_MG_9322

_MG_9298

_MG_8789

_MG_9022

_MG_8777-2

(20100403)[162723]-8597

_MG_6948
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS - I am so glad to see others on here say that 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is hard to get into - I have tried like 3 times and given up all 3 times! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you:  jujubee96  (i manage the hawaii brides list and calendar below - see pink plumeria image and click on it - send me your info if you want to be added!)
    Wedding date & location: may 22, 2009; Makapu'u Beach & Ka'aawa beach house
    Wedding colours:  definitely green was an official color; other than that, aqua, pink, white

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) not working right now, but i'm volunteer tutoring a little
    Do you like it? i like the tutoring, but i need to get on the ball about more things to do.  i don't like having a lot of free time and feeling directionless.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? working on a college campus in student services/administration.

Where did you go to high school? near Philly
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? nerd that just happens to be hot too (ha ha just kidding).  More like with the smart kids; we weren't the most popular kids, but not considered loser-ish.
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Eek, don't think of any group as the losers.  The main advice would be that I can be whatever I want to be, and I don't have to stay within the limits of what my mom approved of.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: it doesn't exist, but it would be Arizona Green Tea with Honey if it didn't have any sugar in it, but still tasted exactly the same.  I eschew sugar.  I'm afraid of it.
    Favourite alcoholic drink: grey goose martini with 2-3 olives.  yummers!!
    Favourite tv shows: modern family, glee, big bang theory (I want to be Amy Ferrer-Fowler!!)
    Last book you read: i forget what it's called, but it was hysterical; it was a book by Chelsea Handler where she talks about all her sexual escapades and mishaps.  It's a fast read, and so funny!  You gotta read it unless you find that kind of thing offensive. 
    Last vacation you took: to Philly; went to NYC and also visited college roommate in small western town in PA
    Favourite ice cream flavour: idk exactly, but it has to have almonds and chunks of chocolate in it.  chocolate covered nuts are even better.  chocolate covered pretzels would be great too.  One time I made an ice cream flavor at Cold Stone based on the ice cream cone Harry Potter got during his first trip to Diagon Alley.  Choc ice cream, almond bits, and fresh rasberry all mixed together.

Where do you see yourself in five years time?hopefully still living in Santa Monica.  love it.  2 kids - 1 an adopted foster child, and hopefully one natural.  if not, then both adopted.  working on a college campus.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kimmy cupcakes - I love your colors!  that's what i would have had if i had more than 1 wedding, or a wedding with several areas that has different colors and themes.

re: dragon tatoo - I've read the first one, I guess it was slow in the beginning; you have to be in the mood to sort of power through i guess.  but then it gets really interesting.  maybe just see the movie?  I liked the plot of the story a lot better than his writing style or anything particular like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: Brittana
    Wedding date & location: 12.12.10, Sugarman Estate, Maui
    Wedding colours:  coral, ivory, black

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) Teach high school (7-12) English & Economics
    Do you like it? Right now I'm still full-time casual (substitute), which is a bit annoying because you see different kids everyday and the ability to build relationships/respect isn't there.  So, I have 'bad' classes more often.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do?Permanent teacher would be next, and then maybe a lawyer...

Where did you go to high school? Anchorage
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? With 5 kids to a year, there were no stereotypes. 
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? Dump the guy, and enjoy being young!

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Smoothies.  Water.  
    Favourite alcoholic drink: I like sweet stuff, but to be honest I'm happier with a virgin daiquiri than a real one, I'm such a lightweight now, which is funny/sad since I met FI on a drinking tour (kinda)
    Favourite tv shows: NCIS, Private Practice, Brother & Sister, Big Bang Theory 
    Last book you read: Hmmm....The Lost God, the newest of the Percy Jackson Lightning Thief series.  That's a perk of being a kids English teacher, I get to read fun kids' books without feeling guilty :) 
    Last vacation you took: Hawaii, visit family & wedding planning
    Favourite ice cream flavour: a Coldstone creation :) Lappert's Coffee, or a McD's cone, yum.  I agree, a bad question to ask us who are trying to lose weight with very little discipline...I always gain a few pounds whenever I go to HI, yum yum!

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Possibly getting ready to move back to the states (I live in Australia now, btw) with two young kids in tow.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What do you do for a living?
    I work in Construction...we remodel high end hotels, boutique hotels, high end restaurants and clubs.  Think Four Seasons etc.
    Do you like it?
    Today I did, yesterday not so much.  It changes daily.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do?
    Something creative out of my home that would allow me to live in upcountry Maui...sigh

Los Alamitos...Orange County, CA
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with?
    Hmm...the rebel who hated school and listened to very loud scary music.
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice
    would you give?
    Nothing...I think I handled it well.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink:  Sugar Free Red Bull
    Favourite alcoholic drink:  Champagne
    Favourite tv shows: Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Burn Notice...and I love my trash shows like Real Houswives
    Last book you read: Ack...it's been a while, I should get on that
    Last vacation you took:  Maui!
    Favourite ice cream flavour:  coconut

Where do you see yourself in five years time?  Owning a home and taking care of a French Bulldog puppy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: Jaymers99 / Jamie
    Wedding date & location: Feb 6, 2010 - Hale Koa, Oahu
    Wedding colours: Orchid Purple and B&W Damask

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards)  Got laid off a few months ago and I'm still unemployed.  When I was employed, I did cost accounting and project controls for government contracts.
    Do you like it?  It was okay, but not something I loved.
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do?  Now that I'm unemployed, I'm taking it as an opportunity to change paths and do what I love...If I could only figure out what that is...

Where did you go to high school?  Hawaii -- with Cai and Jess :)
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with?  I agree with the others--we didn't really have the big stereotypes.  Everyone was kind of a nerd, and so was I  :)
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give?  Enjoy it and make the most of it!  Get involved.  Don't sweat the small stuff...seriously!

Favourite non-alcoholic drink:  Fresh fruit punch (the ones made with orange, pineapple, cranberry juice)
    Favourite alcoholic drink:  Captain Morgan & Diet Coke and my new, recently discovered fave -- Tie Me Up ( Tyku, Midori, and Seven-Up) -- tastes like a Green River!
    Favourite tv shows:  Grey's Anatomy, Amazing Race, Jersey Shore (total trash, but so addicting), and my all-time favorite, Friends!
    Last book you read:  The Girl Who Played with Fire.  I'm on the waiting list for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest at the local library...I think I was like #3245 when I added it a few months ago!  I am too cheap to buy the hardcover.  But I agree, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was extremely slow to start.  I took it on a 2 week trip with me and tried to start it multiple times but couldn't get into it.  I think it is hard because of all the Swedish words and names of places -- I had trouble relating.  I finally plowed through the first half of the book and could not put it down!  Then when I was done, I made a special trip to the bookstore to buy the next book.  The plot is not what I expected, and it is slightly disturbing/graphic, but it is good!
    Last vacation you took:  I've done a lot of vacationing this year.  Vegas and Napa for our mini-moon in Feb, Washington DC for work in May (extended it through the weekend and took hubs with me), Portland/Alaska Cruise/Seattle in June, Las Vegas in September, and will possibly be going to Portland again in December.  I really, really would like to go to Japan and Korea before we start having kids.
    Favourite ice cream flavour:  Hmmm...this is a tough one.  Does strawberry guri guri from Maui count?  I also love guava sherbert but have trouble finding it.  For traditional flavors, I'd say chocolate or vanilla (the real kind with the little black specks), depending on my mood.

Where do you see yourself in five years time?  Hopefully I'll have found a job that I love.  I'd like to have bought a house and started a family.  Hawaii would be great, but the job situation and housing prices make it hard.  We're starting to look at moving to the mainland, but haven't made any decisions yet.

P.S. Alyson, I love how you spell colour, favourite, and flavour.  It just seems so much more sophisticated :)
  • Options
    McBeagsMcBeags member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DaveandJess2010

How funny. I live in Springfield, but I am from Decatur. My brother went to the U of I as well. Do you still live in Hawaii? One of my brothers lives in Hawaii and the rest of my family still lives in Decatur.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_roll-call-poll-regs-newbies-please-join?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:813c7992-ed3b-40da-b411-ae26c12cb2ccPost:40f74f0a-caa6-4cd4-9898-b2ab4333e7a8">Re: Roll Call + Poll! Regs and newbies, please join in!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. P.S. Alyson, I love how you spell colour, favourite, and flavour.  It just seems so much more sophisticated :)
    Posted by jaymers99[/QUOTE]

It's that old Canadian English. We take the American spelling for some things and English for others. I'm a big fan of the "u" too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks aly for setting this one up..haven't had one in awhile! :)
    Who are you: pinkmochiball/cari
    Wedding date & location: July 23, 2011/Hale Koa Hotel
    Wedding colours:  Navy Blue and White

What do you do for a living? I'm an elementary school teacher
    Do you like it?  it has it's moments :) hehe
    If you could be doing something else, what would you do? not too sure...something to do with kids though :)

Where did you go to high school?  Moanalua HS (oahu)
    What high school stereotype would you most identify with? that's a toughie...i was all over the place
    If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give? have fun and study hard! haha

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: fruit punch/diet pepsi
    Favourite alcoholic drink: lava flows/wine
    Favourite tv shows: modern family, say yes to the dress, pretty little liars, jersey shore, (haha)
    Last book you read:  What dreams may come
    Last vacation you took:  Waikoloa-Big Island
    Favourite ice cream flavour:  Cherry

Where do you see yourself in five years time?  living on kauai with a family :)
    Todd & Cari
    7.23.2011~Hale Koa Hotel
  • Options
    dianab0237dianab0237 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who are you: Diana Brown!
    Wedding date & location: 10/11/2011 - Outrigger Reef in Waikiki
    Wedding colours: undecided

What do you do for a living? (Please remember, if you work in the wedding industry, you can't mention it at all on the boards) - Federal employee for the NCUA

Do you like it? It's pretty cool, but it's work...

If you could be doing something else, what would you do? Well, I just finished watching an episode of Housewives of Beverly Hills and wished that I was Adrienne. She was born into a goldmine, but she still works hard to keep the family business running successfully.

Where did you go to high school? Annandale High in Annandale, VA

What high school stereotype would you most identify with? Voted biggest flirt, but I was just nice to everybody...

If you could go back in time and meet up with yourself in high school what advice would you give?  Don't sell yourself short. And the reason why you're bored in class is because it's not challenging enough, and that you're a failure.

Favourite non-alcoholic drink: a cup of coffee in the morning. A MUST!
    Favourite alcoholic drink: when I used to drink it was a combo or bud light and lemon drop shots. I no longer drink due to the fiasco's this combonation brought. lol
    Favourite tv shows: too many to be proud of! lol! modern family, jersey shore (i just got into it and it's actually pretty funny), golden girls and who's the boss reruns.
    Last book you read: something wedding related.
    Last vacation you took: Williamsburg, VA for a weekend of relaxation and sightseeing.
    Favourite ice cream flavour: snickers

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Hopefully with child and a happy marriage, doing the family thing but still keeping up with my career and hobbies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards