Hawaii

Caterer vs Restaurant

Hey ladies,
I can't decide if I want my reception at a restaurant or a private estate. i know the private estate is more expensive but is it worth it? My WC is recommending Merriman's restaurant and it's $2000 just to rent the deck out and another $5000 for food! Does anyone have any recommendations? The Olowalu Plantation is $2500 and for 12 hours and Merriman's is $2000 for 5 hours.

Anyone know any good caterers I can call?

Re: Caterer vs Restaurant

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I also found Merriman's to be pretty expensive, but I have to say that the food is AMAZING and the view is too.  The deck is a beautiful venue, but double-check that you have a rain back-up, because it tends to drizzle more often in that area (than compared to the south).  If you don't want to rent out the deck, they also have a grassy area next to the restaurant where you can get married on (although it's smaller and can only accommodate a limited group size).  They have a small covered deck on the side of the restaurant, where you can have a small reception...or indoors, which actually has open air oceanviews.

If you're considering a restaurant venue, I would recommend looking at Gannon's.  I found them to be more cost-effective and they're used to catering towards weddings.  Five Palms restaurant has also been used by previous knotties.

As for private estate vs. restaurant, it all depends on what you want!  If cost is a priority, I think a restaurant wins (to tell you the truth).  There's usually a minimum, but you don't have to pay and worry about every little thing.  But a private estate is, well, more private, and you can tailor it to whatever you wish (like a blank canvas).  Hope this helps!

(p.s.  Sorry that I haven't replied your PM message, I'm having trouble with TheKnot and it doesn't allow me to post messages!  Feel free to PM me your e-mail address)

• edited December 2011

I think the cost of the private estate is really the hidden cost of all the things you have to bring in, you know? Restaurants generally tend to be less expensive once you include stuff like linens and power (we had to get a generator for Olowalu) and lighting and whatnot...

But, if privacy and being outdoors is a priority, then I vote for Olowalu (I'm biased, obviously).

• maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally, i think Merriman's is too expensive.  If they have a food minimum then they should also include the deck. Does the $5000 include alcohol or is it just for food? There are many hidden costs re: private estate...totally forgot about the need of a generator...thanks Alyson for the reminder...however you mos def save on alcohol costs which can balance the cost of renting tables and other items.  Our caterer provides glasses, plates and utensils, although we will be using plates from another source and hopefully their utensils as well...some even provide all required dinner rentals with the cost of the food which is even cheaper. My two cents would be to speak to a couple of caterers and get quotes and compare the costs of the private estate with the restaurant and you may also what to look at other restos as well. HTH! J. :-)

• edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!!! I'm now looking into having the reception and ceremony at a hotel. That way there's no travel time to get to one place to the other and most hotels have a restuarant that will cater. The top two pics are The Hyatt Hotel and the Royal Lahaina.

Any brides to be having their weddings there?
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard really great things about the Hyatt.  A former bride on this board Marie, had her ceremony at the hyatt and her reception at the westin...here is her planning bio...http://www.mikeandmarie.com/M%26Ms_Maui/Home.html. Thankfully it is still up. HTH! J. :-)
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also going to suggest Marie's website!  Her wedding was beautiful  :)

I think knottie Aliblu is having her wedding at Royal Lahaina Resort...according to the knottie calendar, her wedding is in June.  Not sure whether she's on the board much anymore, but you could always PM her for more info!

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on a private estate in Oahu, but if you're still considering venues, there ARE a lot of hidden costs in a private estate.  I live here, so while time consuming, I can meet with vendors, negotiate the best prices, and order my own linens, etc.  But it is a lot of work and probably comes out to around the same price as a hotel wedding, where linens, silverware, salt and pepper, set up breakdown, cleanup and wait staff are included.  I'm paying for all of that myself.

The reason we decided to get married on the beach as opposed to in a hotel was because we wanted to get married and have the reception outside (totally possible with a hotel too) and because we just couldn't pay $10 for each glass of wine - we'd be broke.  We also didn't want to give out drink tickets or cut off the bar at a certain point, so that would mean thousands of dollars for overpriced drinks, and we refused to pay for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards