Hawaii
Options

Transporting the dress

Ladies - would love to hear your opinion on this one. I will be flying from Canada and there are serious carry-on ristrictions since Devember 26 of this year. I am allowe d1 carry-on to a max hight of 21". I suppose I could try a tri-fold garment bag but I wonder how wrinkled my dress will get? Sigh.

How did you transport your dress?

Re: Transporting the dress

• Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd do the tri-fold bag, and have the dress steamed when you get to Hawaii.  You'd probably need to get it steamed anyways.  A friend folded her dress bag in half and stuffed it in the overhead compartment, and it turned out fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did carry on and hung it in the first class closet (on the Toronto-Van-HNL route), but we had to shove it in the overhead bin for the HNL-Maui route. Really, no matter what I did... it needed steaming once we got to Maui.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In normal circumstances (not traveling) you would need to get the dress steamed/pressed right before the wedding anyways, so getting a little more wrinkled on the plane ride over couldn't hurt, right?! I'll be transporting my dress over in April on the plane as well!
  • Options
    lwav8176lwav8176 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!

Did you bring your own steamer or get it steamed professionally on Maui?
  • Options
    MiniWheatsMiniWheats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am flying from Canada as well and really worried about the carry on situation.  A girl I know was NOT ALLOWED to take hers on and had to CHECK IT!!!!!!!  I would die if I had to check my dress.  
  • Options
    ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, Lindsey, I would die if I were your friend! There is no way I'd hand my dress over. Airline people are so rough with bags. There used to be this reality show 'Airline' that showed the behind the scenes stuff at LAX. This one bride checked her dress and when she got it back it was all torn up and had tire marks on it. Clearly it had been run over. They reimbursed her only like $200 or something rediculous. That didn't give her her dress back for her wedding obviously.

Maybe you could call the airline and see what they recommend. They might know in advance if you could put it in the captains closet or if, God forbid, you would have to check it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    sarahestsarahest member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's probably not the brightest idea,but I decided to put my dress in my check-in luggage because I trusted it more to a hard case than to leave myself to the mercies of the airplane lottery.  I've flown a lot and you never know if what kind of plane you're going to get, how old it's going to be, whether or not there are going to be closets for coats, or overworked and therefore grumpy flight attendants who just bark at you.  

If I was going to be forced to check in my dress while I was carrying it in a garment bag, I would be so unhappy!  I figured that it would be safer in a hardcase, plus there would be tracking tags on it, and I'd have to have my dress pressed when I got home anyways.  But I know this approach isn't for everyone.  :]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    they will make you check it. i had a friend travel from vancouver to honolulu and she could not bring carry ons. they were not making exceptions either. i would call your airlien to doublecheck and see if they make exceptions for weddings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards