Hawaii

Spent $310 to have someone tell me to lose weight

I had my first fitting and there is a lot of do on the dress (seams completely let out/cutting the train/putting in the bustle/put in a sweetheart neckline) and im worried its not going to look right when its all done. but the seamtress is HIGHLY rated and so i know she will do a good job...

still it seams like a ton of money, what did you girls spend for alterations?

Re: Spent $310 to have someone tell me to lose weight

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gotten mine yet, I have to wait until May but I am fearful!  I measure spot on for one size, but I was scared that I might gain a pound or two over the next year so I ordered a size up.  Mistake!  I need to have my dress taken in 2-3 inches everywhere, then I am getting a sweetheart neckline, and they have to hem it about 3 inches too.  I am scared it's going to be $$$$$!

Good luck on your alterations, I just know you will be beautiful!!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely feel for you!  I think alterations vary across the board and it all depends on the seamstress you get...  When I was shopping around, most quotes I received were in the $200-300 range...more upscale ones quoted up to $400-500!!  

My gown shop quoted $150 for hemming...I think that sounds about right?  ...which I'll definitely need because I'm short (a.k.a. midget sized).  If your seamstress has a good reputation, I'd say you're in safe hands!  Can't wait to see the result!  :)

• 55pawsh55pawsh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ... you girls got me worried!! I go in for my fitting tomorrow and i've been dreading it!

I'm sure your dress will be gorge though, esp if your seamstress has a great reputation :)
  • edited December 2011
    My alterations ended up being almost $600 - this included hem, bussle, taking in side seams, creating very slight sweatheart neckline, and adding bra cups.  I didn't shop around though, just got the alterations done at the boutique where I bought my dress.  I figured my dress was a sample, so the money I saved there went towards the alterations. 
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, mine were like $600 too.  I had mine done by a local seamstress who's very well-reviewed, and worked magic.  I had major sticker shock, but she let out the hips, moved the privacy panel, added a French bustle, inserted boobies, sewed the halter closed, fixed a tear inside, evened out the hem (let out on one side, shortened on the other), moved part of the applique a bit (to let out the hem on one side), and cleaned and steamed the dress.  So - a lot.  :)

Mine was also a sample and it had some issues.  I probably could have haggled or taken it elsewhere, but I was really happy with the seamstress's work, so I didn't get to worked up over it.

I would think a simple bustle and hem would be much less in most areas.

• edited December 2011
    thank you for all the feedback ladies i feel MUCH better now. i think a part of it was sticker shock, but yeah i don't mind paying good money for good work, keeping my fingers crossed that it looks good at the next fitting
  • edited December 2011
    i only spent 130, and that was for my hem, a sewn in bra and a little more extra padding.  i went to a local seamstress on maui, though.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine were also about 300$!
  • edited December 2011
    I've got an estimate for $400 and I feel like my dress needs a lot of work. It is not even a fancy dress! Just some ruching to deal with. However:

-bridal salon made me order it big, don't know why especially since I am very athletic. When I ordered it, I was a size 6, they made me order a size 10. I lost 10 pounds and dropped two sizes. They are going to have to take it in a LOT!

-hem
    -bustle
    -bust is too big
    -cups for bust
    -for some reason the arm holes are super tiny, and i don't even have big arms, so they have to make those bigger so it doesn't cut into my armpits.

I really wish dress shops would just let you custom order it to fit already! At least I got the dress on sale.
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amen!!  I don't understand why it takes so long to order in a dress when they can't custom make it according to measurements!   grrrr.....  :)

• NorCalMonyNorCalMony member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh, Geez! I haven't had any alterations done yet at all....The salon I went to (in my hometown in CO, i)ncluded them in the price of the dress...I think....My sister had to have a lady work on hers and she worked MAGIC as well....she had to bustle the train and it looked amazing. It was in our hometown, though. I am worried about getting my dress to HI from Cali!!

• embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  I am blown away by the prices you guys are paying!

I picked up my dress from the seamstress today -- she works out of her home, so she charges a LOT less due to not being in a shop, having no overhead, etc.

She shortened the halter (for a tall person - 5'9" - I have a short torso, apparently..), added bra cups, completely lined the skirt area (oddly, it wasn't lined... unlined ivory dupioni silk is kinda see through!) and took it in a little in the waist (I bought the sample (so they took $100 off the price) which was an 8, I guess I could've used a 6, but I wasn't going to order the smaller size and pay more for it!).. She did all the work in 11 days, and charged me $70!  It looks absolutely perfect and fits like it was made for me!

I'm feeling very, very lucky all of a sudden...
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards