Ohio-Columbus
Options

Alterations timeline?

How far in advance did you: --Contact your seamstress (anyone know of one that, from experience, does great work on dresses with lots of detail to them)? --Start your first fitting (relative to the wedding)? I heard that you start a couple months out from your wedding, but I've been advised the sooner the better by others. Also: --How many fittings did you have all together? -If you're an OOT bride whose wedding is in Cbus, did you get your alterations done where you live or in Cbus? I don't know if I want to fly my dress out to my tiny apartment in NE, or just leave it here at my parents' house to get fitted as I come home to visit. I'm clueless. My dress has a corset back, so losing or gaining a little weight probably won't matter too much I don't think. TIA!!! :D

Re: Alterations timeline?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good question. I would like the answer to this too. I don't know the first thing about fittings. After this is all over, maybe I'll be a pro at wedding planning. LOL
  • Options
    reevetobereevetobe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My first fitting was back in August (wedding is in 2 weeks). My seamstress told me that was very early, but I wanted to get it out of the way. Because of some unforseen issues, my seamstress was delayed in starting work on my dress, as my final fitting is this Monday. Quite a few other brides I've talked to didn't have their final fitting until 2 weeks before the wedding, though, and I have a lot of trust in my seamstress. I'd say 6-8 weeks prior to the wedding for your first fitting and then wait 2-3 weeks prior to wedding for your final fitting, but I strongly advise you call your seamstress/alterations people and see what they have to say since everyone works a little differently. Good luck!
  • Options
    kerrkerr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I contacted alterations about 4 months in advance to book my fittings. I used Alan Ray in Dublin, he does wonderful work and has his own bridal shop.My first fitting was 6 weeks out. I had three altogether, but I kept losing weight due to stress. I would have only needed two if I wouldn't have gotten smaller (I actually tried not to so I wouldn't have to keep having it altered, but stress will do that to you!).FYI if you have a corset back you may not need any or very few alterations done. I would probably have it fitted in Cbus just so you can have a relationship with the alterations people if anything happens, there is an emergency, etc.Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! Now I just need to find the right seamstress. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards