Iowa-Des Moines

Lions Club

Has anyone used the Johnston Lions Club for a reception???

Looking for an inexpensive reception venue for about 250 people. Looked ALL OVER THE PLACE for somewhere affordable. I'd like to be able to use my own booze and pick my own caterer. The Lions Club isn't the prettiest, but I'm a pretty good DIYer.

Ideas of similar places is appreciated :)

Re: Lions Club

• sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    What's your price range?
  • I'm pretty open right now -- I just hate when they charge like $3000 for a rental on TOP of what they force you to use catering wise. I'd like to be able to select my own caterer and bring in my own alcohol but I realize I may have to compromise that
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    You could try Zart1312 (next to Americana), which is where we were married. It's about $2000. Only restrictions are that each caterer/bar must be insured, which is common. We used Gateway Market, and the food was awesome. Also their bar, which was a good deal. They don't do a cash bar but we wanted to provide liquor, so we bought our own and they served it, which was amazingly cheap. Also the woman in charge for Gateway was a drill sargeant, in the most positive way possible. So you could look into that.
  • I am looking at the Lions club also....mostly because it does fit in my price range and my desire to do the food/bar ourselves.  agree it is not the prettiest but i can definitely use the space easily.
  • Zart is booked for my date -- has been since January. Darn it! We went to look at the Lions Club and it's nice but WAY too small for what we need. I am looking into the Teachout Building and I think that'll end up working for us. Thanks for your help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards