Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Opinions really needed please!

So I was set on the bridesmaid dresses that my BMs picked out at Davids Bridal but I have been looking at their sale stuff online and found one I really like. I have been in a couple weddings now and it sucks to fork out $150+ for a dress I will never wear again so I've really wanted to pick a dress out for my girls that they can wear again but the one they picked is $145 and I know they will never wear it again. So I'll post the link to the dress they picked (full length) and the other dress which is on sale and $85 cheaper than the full length. I LOVE both dresses equally. Just wondering if you guys think that the second (cheaper) dress would work for our wedding (mid June, pretty formal, outdoor hors de'vours hour, indoor dinner, Sunday wedding, black and white damask themed). Both dresses would be in canary yellow. Thanks ladies!P.S. The second one is online only so I would purchase 1 first and have all my BM's try it on (all BMs are the same size) so if they loved it I would order the rest, if not, I would return it.First one they orginially picked:http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998974&currentIdx=17&subCategory=-49998976%7c-49998975%7c-49998974&catentryId=6097397&sort=Second one, cheaper and on sale: http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&catentryId=6090986&orderItemId=6666668&orderId=1791449
Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image

Re: Opinions really needed please!

• edited December 2011
    Sorry those are really long urls, here they are shorter!First dress:http://tinyurl.com/ld9k5ySecond Dress:http://tinyurl.com/lg2n7w
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • kristigileskristigiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it really depends on what you want the overall look of your wedding to be. The first one is definitely more formal (i have actually worn that dress in a wedding) and the second one is more fun!
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    I really like both of them also. They are 2 very different looks though.I think since your wedding is on a summer Sunday, and you'll be doing an outdoor cocktail hour/hors de'vours, you could totally get away with the shorter, less formal dress. I love the color, and I think the rosette will kind of tie in the vintage kitsch you'll have going on with the damask. I say go for it! $85 is a lot to save, and may be worth the trouble of ordering online!
  • KERJFKERJF member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally I do not care for the 2nd one. I think the bubble hem will look dated, and to me at least, it seems like a dress you could find in a department store in their dress section. I think the first is elegant and fits more the formal aspect you said. I just could see a guest wearing the same style dress as the second one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • doxx0048doxx0048 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend wear the second dress (short one) in a wedding and her and the girls said that they found the bubble skirt very unflattering.  My good friend said that she would never wear it again anyways so she would have rather gone with a more expensive dress that was more comfortable/flattering.  Personally, I feel the same way about that hemline - not the best style for my body.  Maybe before you get your heart set on it, I would order it online and have all of your girls try it out.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Kristigiles- Was that dress comfy to wear all day? Was it hot? We will be taking quite a few pics outside and it can get really hot mid June, I think it was 85 this year on that day.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, and this is just my opinion. If you are concerned with them being able to wear the dresses again, I would consider going black. With yellow flowers, you could really get a great pop of color. If you are really set on the yellow, I think the cheaper option would save the issue of wearing it or not again. I think they're both cute though!

Zuma Zoom
  • edited December 2011
    Doxx- All my BM's like the bubble hem, one of them is actually wearing one for her RD and they are all size 2 or 4 so they are pretty skinny. I did have that in mind though but they all have tried that style on. Thanks for the input!
  • edited December 2011
    veijes -  You know I'm getting married the day before you at the same venue.  Very funny about your first dress...that's the same dress that one of my bm's picked out.  She LOVES it.  I really like that the 2nd one is short probably because I've decided to do short bm dresses.  I'm not a fan of the bubble hem, but I prefer the shorter dress. 
  • kristigileskristigiles member
    edited December 2011
    it was definitely a comfortable dress to wear. I thought that the straps and higher neckline made it very easy to wear. Although the wedding i was in was this past december (didnt have to worry about any heat!), it is a light dress and definitely wouldn't be too hot
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely have all of your girls try on the 2nd dress. Regardless of dress size, women have different body types, and the bubble hem may turn out to be unflattering on certain bridesmaids.Is this something that you could wait until fall to decide? (Don't new dress styles come out in the fall? Bueller? Bueller?) The shorter hem is fun and perfect for summer, so maybe there will be other deals to be had...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I like the first dress, but not the second one.  I'm not a fan of bubblehems (I feel very "been there done that" about 80s fashion), and the first dress looks more elegant and classic to me.  That said, I do like knee/tea length BM dresses for summer weddings!I think if your BMs like the more affordable bubble-hem dress, and you like it, then it will work just fine for your wedding.  NMS, but...not my wedding!  :)
  • supersalwasupersalwa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the suggestion to wait, and who knows - maybe other dresses will go on sale between now and then. But I really appreciate the fact that you're trying to save your BMs money! I agree with the comment that the bubble hem will look dated (even if your BMs like it and look good in it). It's very trendy. If that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it - the fact that they're all in the same thing will separate them from the guests no matter what, and it is significantly cheaper.
  • Kambria11Kambria11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the first dress better it is more elegant and seems to fit what you are going for more by what you described. I think that you could definitely have a chance of waiting and finding something like the first, but in a shorter length and maybe a better price. I am sure that there will be a lot of things that go on sale or clearance once winter is here. You have that opportunity and time to wait. It is your wedding and ultimately your choice on what to do.
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I like the first one really well.  I love the back of the dress - not shown, but I've seen it in person - and I think it's really pretty and classy.  I think the second dress will look much more trendy, and as pp mentioned, look dated down the road in photographs.  However, if that is not a concern of yours, don't worry about it. I'm just going to throw it out there, though, that you don't need to limit yourself to these two dresses.  You still have a ton of time to pick a dress, and there are tons of stores/brands out there.  If you are open to long/short/straps/strapless etc your options are endless - literally. I bet you would have no problem, whatsoever, finding another dress you love that would be flattering and timeless on everybody that is less than $145.  I would highly recommend Net Bride. I still haven't ordered my bridesmaid dresses yet (hopefully will decide on them this week!) but they offer 30+% off the price of most stores, and it is through Rush's bridal, so it is a reliable place.  I have gotten tons of quotes from them since I keep changing my mind.  A few brands have come in consistently around $110 through them - Jordan Fashions is one of them.  There are many, many more they can get, but that is one I know came in really low.  Check some more stores out, and don't feel pressured to decide yet, as you have tons of time and the dresses will come in plenty of time.  Keep in mind your tastes might change between now and then, so that is one advantage to taking your time.Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, I believe Davinci bridal also is a really inexpensive brand for bridesmaid dresses.  I believe I bought one for a friend's wedding a few years ago and we paid around $112 at the Wedding Shoppe (cash and carry).  If you could get that brand through Rush's, I'd imagine it would have to be under $100.   
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your opinions! They have opened my eyes to the fact that the bubble hem will look outdated (makes me think of 80s hair and how ridic I think it looks). I think I'll wait a little longer and maybe see if the long ones go on sale. Jaramler- I have been to a lot of other bridal stores with my BM's (Rush's, The Wedding Shoppe, Florals to Formals, etc.) The reason I like David's Bridal is 1- they have the right yellow, and 2- Things come in the right size, it's hard to picture a dress on my sisters when they are a size 2 and the dress they have on is a 10. I have also heard of net bride and got quotes from them but I think I'm sticking with Davids Bridal.The one of factor that I have to consider with the first dress is that my FSIL is getting married exactly 9 months before me and she will be 30 when she gets married so she wants to start having kids pretty quick. The first dress has no room for a baby bump so I probably have to go with a different dress all together!
  • edited December 2011
    we are doing basically the same color scheme and I decided to let my bridesmaids wear black dresses with bright yellow flowers.. they were ALL incredibly thankful I chose black instead of yellow for them, the chances of them wearing the dresses again are a lot more with a black dress.BUT I do like the first dress better, it's more flattering and the material is lightweight.
  • edited December 2011
    Kassie- I agree that I think black looks very elegant and will make the yellow flowers pop. But when I asked if they wanted black instead they all said no, they LOVE yellow, ALL of them haha it's weird...but I love yellow too! I know that they would wear a yellow dress again and I know all of them would definitely wear that second dress again, they all really like it.
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp that the bubble dress might look like a fashion fad in a few years.  We got our Da Vinci dresses (knee length) through netbride for $85 and couldn't have been happier.  A thought on the first dress is that it could be hemmed to knee length after the wedding and possibly be worn again. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely understand your dilemma with trying to find the right color.  That is exactly why I am about 5+ months out and still haven't ordered the BM dresses. I have one thought about the second dress, since you really like it, and the girls do too.  Also, since it is a looser fit, it might be better for a potential pregnancy.  I think the top half of the dress is really cute.  For me it is the "bubble" part that makes it the most trendy and I don't care for as well.  Is it possible for you to have the "bubble" unhemmed and sewn into a regular seam?  So it is still the same dress, just the bottom would be different, and less trendy? I'd imagine there would be enough fabric to work with.  Maybe ask a seamstress?  I can't imagine that would be too expensive, probably about the same price as a hem.  Just a thought.
  • joe&laurajoe&laura member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was on the hunt to save my girls money as well...so just thought I'd throw another option out there for you and any other knotties interested, even though it sounds like you have your heart set on DB (don't blame you, the first dress is gorgeous!!)...  Mestads in both St Cloud and Rochester have a "Ladies Night" every few months throughout the year...all BM dresses are 20% off.  This event is open to anyone and I was encouraged to make an appointment, although it's not required.  They have one coming up on August 6th from 6-9pm and have another one scheduled for early September.  Your girls only need to put 50% down at this event and pay the rest when they come in.
  • ericaandsyericaandsy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dress #1 is definitly more formal,although I think the other one is cute. I'm not so sure about them wearing it again, because of the bubble hem. If you want to look at a shorter dress this is what my girls are wearing they got them for $80 at Mestads, and they are gorgeous! http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=6f371dd8-a033-4de8-81ec-5bac3dbf1a20&categoryID=772f03c9-de43-4942-bfa0-da77e21ebd65&pg=0
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards