Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Anyone good with photoshop?

So I've been thinking about making these for my BMs (as many of us ahve been since the recent post, lol).

I'll put their locket and some day-of survival goodies in each.

My only issue is the color. I want the lace to be black. I was able to save the clip art file as a pdf to my computer using cutepdf, and I tried every way I am aware of to change the color on photoshop, but nothing that I know how to do works. I have an older version of the program too, so there's that. Anyone have any ideas of how I could change the lace pattern to black? 

If you think you know how and would like to give it a shot, I can e-mail you the file.

TIA!

Re: Anyone good with photoshop?

• edited December 2011
    I don't know the answer, but could you maybe try buying a piece of black lace that you like and scanning it in to your computer? 

Otherwise, I think (not 100% sure) there might be a tool in photoshop that lets you swap colors so that anywhere it was blue it turns it to black. I can ask FI and get back to you on that. 
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No help with Photoshop, but I love the idea.  Be sure to post pics when you're done.
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_anyone-good-photoshop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:c23ede68-bb40-4bab-a793-f6de478d1a20Post:a3cc8988-0c8a-4173-bdd2-3f7e6588233c">Re: Anyone good with photoshop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Otherwise, I think (not 100% sure) there might be a tool in photoshop that lets you swap colors so that anywhere it was blue it turns it to black. I can ask FI and get back to you on that. 
    Posted by ef7310[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yes! I knew there was something like that! Now if I could only figure it out....

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    It's similar to the little "paint bucket" tool in paint and stuff.  I was thinking about doing these too, but in purple or brown... I'll screw around with it today and let you know if I can figure out anything!
  • edited December 2011
    So it looks kind of blurry when you actually open it... I don't think they used a very high-quality pattern image to begin with.  But here's what I've got...  I have a larger PDF file too, but TK wouldn't let me upload it.  PM me your email if you want me to send it over!

edited December 2011
    STEPH! You're amazing!! You've got PM girlfriend!
  • edited December 2011
    I hate to tell you, but ti's SUPER easy.

In case anyone else is interested.... (I have CS3, fyi.)

Once you get the file opened in PS, there's a little paint bucket tool on the side that you can click on.  Then choose your color and click anywhere it's colored.  bam. personalized Martha Stewart beauty.

By the way... I do NOT need another DIY, but I'm probably going to have to do these now ;)
  • debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey gals,

I actually made these, Bimbi - it's sooooo easy! But I screwed up on the trim, cutting it too close to do the scalloped edge, so I need to re-do them anyhow. I'm thinking of doing different colors now that I know it's so easy, because the yellow, gray and blue "Martha" used are really, really light and pastel.

Thanks Steph! Thanks Bimbi!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    edited December 2011
    I like Steph need to stop with the DIY projects but I love this one!Humm this might be a good project for the DIY GTG...:).
  • edited December 2011
    Ok- where did you find the cotton canvas? I just went to Jo-Ann and they only had "duck cloth" which the lady assured me was the same thing.  But it seems too "rough"  to take an iron on??
  • edited December 2011
    Just in case anyone is interested... here are two of mine.  One I used the blue template from the MS website.  The other I darkened to a deep purple in PS.  It probably took me 45 minutes total for both of them (including printing, ironing, etc.)  Would have been a whole lot quicker if I had a sewing machine!

5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those look fantastic, Steph! I wish I'd read through the instructions before cutting a straight edge right next to the edge of the design! :) But now that I know how easy it is to alter the colors ... might have to do that, and maybe even personalize it with the girls' names!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah... I just cut a straight edge on the sides and half-assed it on the scallops.  I think it'd be a lot nicer looking if you had a pair of those scalloping scissors?  Oh well!
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a pair of cheap-o scalloping scissors, but they don't work on the fabric. Oh well! I think my mom has a good one ... Hmmm. Stealsies?
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • edited December 2011
    Those turned out so cute, Steph!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_anyone-good-photoshop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:c23ede68-bb40-4bab-a793-f6de478d1a20Post:2f57a5f6-8328-41e5-865c-6e4eceb0c657">Re: Anyone good with photoshop?</a>:
    [QUOTE] ... might have to do that, and maybe even personalize it with the girls' names!
    Posted by debbieupper[/QUOTE]

<div>Ooooh....personalization! YES....must add to list of millions of things I have to do. </div>
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you need to adjust the color in the future, you can also change it using the CTRL+SHIFT+U command in Photoshop that will allow you to change the brightness, saturation and color of whatever you have selected!  The paint bucket probably makes way quicker work of it, though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards