Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Who to walk me down the aisle?

So here's the deal. I have a very strained to almost not excistant relationship with my father and an equally frustrating relationship with my mother, who seems to be completely uninterested in the fact that I am getting married...she won't come dress shopping but got upset when I brought my mother-in-law to-be and my aunt.

I am seriously considering having my grandparents walk me down the isle, whom my FI asked for permission to marry me. I am not sure if this appropriate since I want both of my parents, whom are seperated, to be there and not start a big deal.

My other options are to have my sister give me away or walk down by myself. I really don't feel that either of my parents deserve to walk me down the aisle.

PLEASE HELP!!

Re: Who to walk me down the aisle?

• drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly you have to go with what you feel is best. I dont think there is a right or wrong in this case but really whatever you want to do. Who are you the closest with? If it is your grandparent and you think that would be a special way to include them I would do that. If you are fine walking down by yourself then I would go that route. But It sounds like you are not going to please your mom any time soon so unfortunately I dont think you can plan around her mood.
  • Clare13Clare13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest walking down the aisle alone or walking with your fiance.  I am not a big one for "giving away" the bride.  The wedding is a union of two individuals.  I assume you are not being forced into marriage, so no one has to "give" you away.  In your situation, it might just be best to keep the focus on you and your FI.  No one can really say anything or get upset if it is just the two of you entering with your bridal party. 
  • izzyjenniizzyjenni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree!  Walk down alone if you feel comfortable.  I think that walking down with anyone but your parents may really make them upset.  Wanting them both at the wedding, I think the walking down alone route would be the best way to go.   That's my two cents!  I think you should go with your gut though and if you really want your grandparents to walk you down, you have to do what is right for you.  It is a day for you and your FI.  Good luck!  And may you be the one that is happy on your big day.  Don't worry about pleasing others.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont even have a strained relationship with my father, we're a bit distant, but I love him and he will be at my wedding, but I am walking myself down the isle.  We are doing custom vows so we just left out the whole "who gives this woman away" line so hopefully no on even notices...

I'm a grown woman with a child and a home, my father is also not paying a dime for the wedding- so he's really not doing much giving away of anything!

I have also thought about walking down the isle w/ my FI.  Entering as the established couple that we already are... heck- he's already seen the dress!  haha
  • edited December 2011
    If your mother reacted that way about dress shopping, it's likely she'll be upset about having anyone aside from your parents do it. If there isn't an obvious answer in your heart, which it seems like because you're asking :) maybe the answer is just you.
    Number Atttending 10 image Number Declined 37 image Number Not Replied 240 image
    RSVP Date: September 1
    /image>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    From past experience with my brother's wedding last April, weddings bring on a lot of drama and family members lose site of the main focus, you making a commitment to your fiance and for all those you two love to witness it! If you mom is already commenting about others going dress shopping, then I can't imagine her reaction to you walking down the aisle with your grandparents (not trying to be negative here). I think it would be really special for you to walk down the aisle with your grandparents but if you are a person who doesn't like drama and gets hurt by what others say behind your back, then walk down by yourself, or have your FI at the alter and meet you half way, that could be super cute and symbolize that you two are in it together! But if you are a very strong person and are set on having your grandparents watch you down the aisle, do it! I think I'm a strong person but I also don't want people making a big deal of nothing so I would probably walk down alone, HTH!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards