Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Cupcake! vs. Sweet Treats by Jeff

Hi all,

I know there are multiple posts on cupcakes but I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried the "gourmet" cupcake joints AND a smaller vendor like Sweet Treats (which I've only heard about from this forum)?

We just had our consultation at Cupcake this afternoon and we found three cupcakes we LOVED-dulce de leche, triple chocolate, & strawberry shortcake.  What I really liked about Cupcake is that they use all natural ingredients (you can def taste the difference between the $1.99 options and the $3 options) and they're not upcharging just because the desserts are for a wedding.  The cupcakes are the same price as if you purchased in the store.  I am also not looking for fancy decorations-no fondant.

I guess what I'm wondering overall is whether there is a huge difference in ingredients?  Did you notice a big difference between the two types?  Thanks, ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cupcake! vs. Sweet Treats by Jeff

• Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I'll preface this by saying that I haven't tried Cupcake's cupcakes, but since no one else has responded to your thread I'm going to.

Jeff's cupcakes are amazing. He makes them from scratch, uses fresh ingrediencts, and I think they taste better than all the fancy expensive cupcakes I've had. And his prices are WAY more reasonable than most of the other shops out there, as he charges by the dozen and not per cupcake. Plus he is just a very sweet man, and I'm really excited to be working with him. So I would highly recommend at least setting up a tasting with him. His white chocolate Kalhua cupcakes are freaking amazing! :)
  • kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reply!  Does he offer cupcake tiers & delivery as well?  To give you an idea of what we'd be looking at spending at Cupcake-around $450 for 120 gourmet cupcakes, bride & goom's cake, 5 tier display decorated to our liking & delivery (no set-up just delivery).

I think we will do a tasting with Jeff.  I mean, why the heck not try more cupcakes!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Jeff's cupcakes are amazing! Try the French vanilla with vanilla buttercream frosting...so simple, yet so delicious. I emailed a few bakeries and Jeff was our first tasting. We pretty much decided to go with him the minute we stepped out the door. He does offer cupcake stands if needed, and I believe his delivery fee is $30. At least to Stillwater is it! The non-filled cupcakes are $14 per dozen which I think is crazy reasonable! He's also really fast at responding to emails, which impressed me. I haven't tried Cupcake, but you really should try Jeff! You can never try too many!
  • edited December 2011
    We used Jeff for our wedding in September, and the cupcakes were phenomenal!  The delivery was $30, and he does have cupcake tiers available as well - don't remember the price.  We got the French vanilla with vanilla buttercream, chocolate dipped strawberry, and oreo crunch flavors - they were all a hit, but the oreo ones went the fastest and we got the most compliments on them for sure!!!  The cupcakes were beautiful and looked very professional.  Jeff is super fast to respond to emails and calls, and like Cackle said, he is the sweetest man ever - bakes at home because he stayed home to take care of his twin boys (they are in school now).  No more store-bought cupcakes or cakes ever again for this girl!!!!  I will be using Jeff for all of my cake needs :)

My Planning Bio Updated 9.2.11
    My New House Bio! Updated 5.8.11
    image 356 Invited image 144 will be there! image 212 missing out image 0 holding up the show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He has a large square and a large circle cupcake tier/stand available for rent. I believe it's $15, which is a great price considering I don't think you can DIY it for much less than that. I think price wise you'd def save money with Jeff and get all the things that you woud get at Cupcake (other than the decorated tiers, I'm not sure if he does that, but the tiers he does have are white and very nice looking). 
  • edited December 2011
    I also second going with Jeff.  He was AMAZING! We tasted cupcakes that were to die for but I wanted a traditional cake and he was by far the best tasting.  Even if he hadn't been the least expensive I still would have gone with him.  We will now be doing all of our cake things with him, b-days, anniversaries, etc... He is so great to work with.  The delivery was $20 to Chaska.  For sure at least do a tasting.  We had so many compliments it blew me away (And no cake left over at all)

Happy Cake Hunting!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • kekr0202kekr0202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I contacted Jeff and unfortunately he's already booked for May 5th.  I asked if he had any recommendations and he said he'd heard great things about Queen of Cakes in Edina. 

We set up a consultation with Queen of Cakes for this past Sunday and we're so happy we did!  The consultation was amazing and we're booking through them!  Excellent cake, excellent design ideas, & the best pricing we've seen!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards