Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Tasty Thursday

Favorite CrockPot recipes?  (Have we done this before? oh well. 'tis the season!)

Re: Tasty Thursday

• edited December 2011
    Momma's Chili...

Ps. Steph we should start thinking about a Oct. Siggy Challenge as tomorrow is Oct.
  • edited December 2011
    I've made a crock pot lasagna before that is suuuper easy and tastes awesome! Why would you ever make real lasagna if you can make it in the crock pot?!
  • edited December 2011
    Here is my signature lazy crockpot dish. You can use the leftovers in multiple ways - I've used them in enchilada pie, on tostadas, etc.

French dips. Homemade.
    Well, actually, they're kind of really Phillys.

KATE'S SUPER CASUAL FRENCH DIP RECIPE
    -2-3 lb rump roast
    -2-3 cans beef consomme
    -sweet yellow onion
    -fresh mushrooms
    -mozzarella, sliced (or provolone, etc)
    -hoagie buns, baugette sections, ciabatta, whatever -  just be sure it's crusty so it can hold up in the au jus

Get out the crock pot. Grease the bottom and sides with non-stick spray. Put in the roast. Then the consomme. Then add whatever spices you like. Garlic is a must - the old fashioned powder actually holds up better than fresh, one of the quirks of the slow cooker. I highly suggest fresh ground black pepper, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Pull the roast from the crock pot. Shred on a cutting board.

Meanwhile, split whatever bread product you're using & toast in the oven. Add the cheese on top for good measure. Sautee the onion & mushrooms.

Make a sammich of beef, onion, mushrooms all atop the cheesy bread product.

Use a ladle & scoop out the broth as au jus. Use bowls, teacups, whatever. Dip 'em.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Also, another shredded meat - are you sensing a theme? You can really play with this and tweak the end product - add BBQ sauce to some of the shredded pork and have pulled pork sandwiches. Add cumin and cayenne to some and you have a multipurpose Mexican protein - soft tacos, burritos, tostadas, enchiladas, etc.

SHREDDED PORK

3 lbs pork shoulder roast
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 yellow onions, cut into chunks
    8 cloves garlic, skins removed and left whole
    2 quarts water

Trim the meat of all fat (when using a heavily marbled cut of pork, trim the excess fat from the cut's exterior). Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 9 hours, or until the meat is very tender. Remove the meat from the cooker, allowing it to cool. Once cooled, shred the meat using your fingers or two forks.

The broth may be strained and frozen for later use in soups and stews (I did not save mine, but realized after the fact that it could be used in making posole).
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah my favorite crock-pot "recipe" is throwing in a rack of ribs all day with a bit of water and then adding BBQ sauce and throwing them in the oven for maybe 30-45 minutes and letting that bake on. It's FI's fave as well!

On a side note, has anyone tried the crockpot liners? Seriously amazing- worth every penny. Crock pots are a betch to clean!!
  • edited December 2011
    buffalo chicken dip is my fav
    -pkg of chicken breasts, cooked and hand-shredded
    -pkg of lite cream cheese
    -2 cups of Frank's red hot sauce
    -2 cups of lite ranch dressing
    -couple of handfulls of cheese

everything is basically to taste, so if it's too hot you can add more ranch, some like to add more cream cheese, good with tortilla chips and veggies
  • edited December 2011
    I don't own a crock pot. : (
  • katiereimerkatiereimer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    pulled chicken! mmmm mom makes it the best!
    Teagan Rae 8-21-12 born on due date/ 9 lbs 4 oz 22 in
  • edited December 2011
    I'll find a few of my favorite when we get home :)  
    I_WANT_CAKE- GET ONE NOW!  It's my favorite thing. ever.

anyway... in case you all want more recipes.  Here's the post I added to November's board :)

Shan- I don't do the sig challenges anymore; I got sick of my code never working (stupid TK).  But I think leggwilliams has been keeping up with them.   Or just start a new thread and figure out what everyone wants to do? :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yup, I post the signature challenges. I'll post it tomorrow for the month of October.
  • edited December 2011
    I WANT CAKE - registry item :)
  • edited December 2011
    My parents never had a crock pot, either.  I doubt I'd ever use it since it involves planning what you want ahead of time, plus the time in the morning it would take to assemble it all, which I have none of.  The closest thing I've got is a pretty sizeable dutch oven that I use for soup or chili.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_tasty-thursday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:f5bd3feb-4c8d-483c-8937-86ad59f27588Post:e1460e31-3b41-449c-9d80-be90b602e938">Re: Tasty Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents never had a crock pot, either.  I doubt I'd ever use it since it involves planning what you want ahead of time, plus the time in the morning it would take to assemble it all, which I have none of.  The closest thing I've got is a pretty sizeable dutch oven that I use for soup or chili.
    Posted by I Want Cake[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh, but it's the exact opposite!  You just dump everything in and let it cook all day while you're at work.  Sometimes, I'll open and drain the beans (or whatever) the night before, but it's super quick and easy.  That's why I love mine so much :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Ooooohhhh I want the crock pot lasagna recipe!!!!!  I love lasagna but I hate the time it takes to make!!

My Planning Bio Updated 9.2.11
    My New House Bio! Updated 5.8.11
    image 356 Invited image 144 will be there! image 212 missing out image 0 holding up the show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards