Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

ceremony on the north shore

we decided to do a ceremony on the north shore.  and stay at a log cabin for the honeymoon.  i think we are going to do the ceremony on the beach and then go out to dinner with our parents, and have that be it. 

and then stay there for 3 or 5 days (with DS of course) and have fun. 

i am so relieved to have figured this out a little bit.  it feels so much more "us" than a big production.  it also costs a lot less so i'm relieved about that too!

FI is going to wear black pants and a white buttondown, and roll up the sleeves/bottoms of the pants and go barefoot.  i am going to wear a white dress but knee length and probably a lot less formal than the usual getup, and go barefoot too.  DS is going to dress like FI.

yay!

Re: ceremony on the north shore

• edited December 2011
    My Dad and Step Mom got married at Lusten and it was beautiful! Northern MN rocks. :)
  • edited December 2011
    that's awesome, it sounds like it will be gorgeous from the sites that had pictures. 
  • edited December 2011
    Exciting!!  What's your date?

Our friends just put down a deposit at Blue Fin Bay & will be getting married by the lake next June.  It so pretty & they're so excited!  = )
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Grand Superior Lodge which is done in the log cabin style. They have been great and are able to handle any size wedding. They are also partnered with Larsmont Cottages which specializes in smaller weddings.

Superior Shores we looked at and were not as impressed with the facilities since they were a little older. It would be perfect for a small wedding though.

Bluefin Bay has an amazing ceremony site on a rocky beach that was spectacular! My only concern was there was no parking and we are having 175 people so I couldn't figure out how they would have handled that. I am guessing they provide the transportation but I didn't figure it out since we weren't interested.

Lutsen Resort had a couple really nice sites and was a cool looking hotel. I think for a smaller wedding it would work really well. For us again it didn't look like it could accommodate all of our group.

Eagle Ridge had an amazing 360 degree view. They have their weddings in a chalet at the top of the ski hill. You take a gondola ride up to the site and the ceremony spot over looked the lake and the other side overlooks the mountains. Then they host the dinner inside the chalet. It was really nice, again we just didn't think the logistics with relying on the 4 person gondola was going to work for us.

I hope that helps. I have pictures of all the sites too if you want me to email you any of them. I did a lot of research when we decided to do our wedding up there. I also have quite a few vendor lists that I received from the various hotels that I could pass on.

Anniversary
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you still having it in Feb??? I can't remember...

If you're not (which I think is a pretty safe assumption) and you're going for a short dress, there are a lot of less expensive, re-wearable options out there. I found a ton at the Albertville Outlets and Arbor Lakes.

WTG on figuring things out!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_ceremony-north-shore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f648d9de-ab83-4f0c-b721-0e7f7bce5439Post:9c8884df-7aa4-46e7-8363-3b0f44704e14">Re: ceremony on the north shore</a>:
    [QUOTE]Exciting!!  What's your date? Our friends just put down a deposit at Blue Fin Bay & will be getting married by the lake next June.  It so pretty & they're so excited!  = )
    Posted by MikeNAndi[/QUOTE]

Yes very!   This morning we decided to just go ahead and do it this summer, so we will be getting married (if all goes according to my plan) Sept 16 2011!

I still have yet to book anything because we are unsure of how much cash we'll need on hand for the house, so spending $$ on it makes me a little nervous right now but it's only $100 to reserve the officiant so I'll probably just bite the bullet and reserve this week.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_ceremony-north-shore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f648d9de-ab83-4f0c-b721-0e7f7bce5439Post:49678804-5fd5-407c-8f05-5671501318fe">Re: ceremony on the north shore</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married at Grand Superior Lodge which is done in the log cabin style. They have been great and are able to handle any size wedding. They are also partnered with Larsmont Cottages which specializes in smaller weddings. Superior Shores we looked at and were not as impressed with the facilities since they were a little older. It would be perfect for a small wedding though. Bluefin Bay has an amazing ceremony site on a rocky beach that was spectacular! My only concern was there was no parking and we are having 175 people so I couldn't figure out how they would have handled that. I am guessing they provide the transportation but I didn't figure it out since we weren't interested. Lutsen Resort had a couple really nice sites and was a cool looking hotel. I think for a smaller wedding it would work really well. For us again it didn't look like it could accommodate all of our group. Eagle Ridge had an amazing 360 degree view. They have their weddings in a chalet at the top of the ski hill. You take a gondola ride up to the site and the ceremony spot over looked the lake and the other side overlooks the mountains. Then they host the dinner inside the chalet. It was really nice, again we just didn't think the logistics with relying on the 4 person gondola was going to work for us. I hope that helps. I have pictures of all the sites too if you want me to email you any of them. I did a lot of research when we decided to do our wedding up there. I also have quite a few vendor lists that I received from the various hotels that I could pass on.
    Posted by EmilyCMN[/QUOTE]

Emily that sounds amazing!

I would love to get ahold of some of the pictures if you don't mind sending them, I'll pm you the email address.

I am thinking that Bluefin Bay sounds good right now for the ceremony....I looked at Grand Superior just for lodging and it looked nice but I'll check out Bluefin, I'm guessing they would do some kind of package for ceremony/reception?

We are going to use Social Graces for our ceremony officiant, so that part is taken care of.  Now I just have to make sure that the site/hotel are also available on 09-16 and then we'll be all set! 

Oh wait I have to choose a hotel first....so yes I would love to see pics!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_ceremony-north-shore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f648d9de-ab83-4f0c-b721-0e7f7bce5439Post:20a063e3-51f3-46a8-ac40-eacc21b69c2d">Re: ceremony on the north shore</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you still having it in Feb??? I can't remember... If you're not (which I think is a pretty safe assumption) and you're going for a short dress, there are a lot of less expensive, re-wearable options out there. I found a ton at the Albertville Outlets and Arbor Lakes. WTG on figuring things out!
    Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]

Since the ceremony is going to be so cheap anyhow, we decided to move it to Sept.  Our bdays are the 12 and the 20, so we wanted something in the middle, so we chose the 16.  Changing from big wedding to a small one also meant we didn't have to deal with churches with no a/c for the ceremony (the one I liked didn't have a/c), so that meant summer for me too.

Thank you for the dress help!  I am going to do something short since we'll be on the beach, and it's going to be a lot less formal than a regular church wedding, so I will definitely check out those areas for dresses!  I'd love something re-wearable, FI says I don't wear enough dresses anyhow so it's a good excuse to buy one I like!
  • edited December 2011
    IDK if your set on Lake Superior, but another Up-North venue to consider is Grandview Lodge in Nisswa.  I saw pics of a friend's wedding that was there (after we had already chose our venue, date & put our deposit down) and I was sooooo envious of the beautiful space.  They have an outdoor ceremony site with this beautiful grand staircase that you,  your WP and I would imagine your guests, enter the ceremony from.  Here is a pic from their brochure but it doesn't do it justice.  I'll see if I can find one from FB.

• edited December 2011
    If you're just going to have it be a small group - 20 or less - do not feel like you have to lock in with a resort. There is a lot of public space on Lake Superior (I explored almost all of it during my 20s in Duluth) and you don't need to spend a ton of money to get hitched on the lake.

Some of my favorite spots are (click on names for links):

The Lakeview shelter at Gooseberry Falls (not at the falls, down by the lake; this would be a really quaint spot to have dinner and it's a rustic, cozy backup in case of rain - timber beams, fireplace, rock walls - the whole north shore thing)
    Lamb's Resort in Schroeder (owned by the sister of a friend - my friend was married there down by the lake and spent her honeymoon there)
    Brighton Beach/Kitchi Gammi Park in Duluth

Heck, you could even get married on the point in Grand Marais (I don't think there is an official name - it's within walking distance of DT - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=47.748529,-90.332508&spn=0.008022,0.01929&z=16). An alternative would be finding a lakeside property for your honeymoon (vrbo.com) and getting married there. 

Let me know if you need restaurant ideas for dinner!

ETA: Here is a picture from a wedding on Stoney Point - the bride and groom are hidden under the gray circles, obviously.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have not forgotten about you, I will try to get you some pictures after work tonight! I had class last night and all the pictures are at home.

I agree with Kate though there are plenty of sites that don't involve hotels that could save some money. I also have pictures of the site at Gooseberry she was referring to. We looked at that too.

With a small group though I think you can get a good deal from the hotels.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards