Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Wife Chop!

So. I'm super excited to chop off my hair after the wedding.  It's currently unmanageable.  It's about a foot past my shoulders (at least), and insanely thick and super curly.

So. Help me a pick a new hair style.  I'd like to cut it to about shoulder length, but I'm terrified of ending up with an afro.  Not that I don't love people who have afros, but I'm not sure I could pull off the look ;)

Soooo dear friends. Google me some pictures and share ideas? please?

Re: Wife Chop!

• maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay... not finding any pictures yet... but I have a lot of curly haired friends... so I have a few suggestions:

You definitely need some side-swept bangs. Yeah, you'll probably have to spend a few minutes straightening them every morning... but seriously... they'll take a lot of extra heft out of your hair and make it so that ALL you need to do is fix your bangs and even the craziest, curliest mess of hair on the rest of your head will look purposeful and cute.

Also, do NOT let them layer it. At least not to an obvious degree. If the top layers of your hair are noticeably shorter than the hair underneath, it creates a spherical effect with short/medium length curly hair. That's when you get the 'fro look. Blunt, one-length cuts are definitely better for curly hair.
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This webpage has a ton of cute short curly hair pics.  http://picsicio.us/keyword/curly%20hairstyles%20short/

My favorite:
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Grrrr

This is cute, too:

I JUST got a perm, so I'm in the short curly hair camp now, too!  Mine's kind of like this last one.
  • edited December 2011
    oh eek. I don't know if I can go that short, Heather.  Then I'd have to wash and dry my hair every day.  (I usually only wash it every 2-3 days so it doesn't dry out.)

BUT that is super cute.

Maybe- I hear you on the layers.  I always get layers in my hair, but they do them underneath instead.  It helps so much!

Thanks for the link, HK. I know what I'll be doing this morning at work ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with doing a bob type haircut, don't do layers. Maybe your stylish can "thin" your hair with a thinning shears though to make it not so thick.

Heather: pics of your hair please! I want to get a perm too :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • edited December 2011
    1. Get thee to a hairstylist who specializes in curls. My hair is naturally curly and I see Jodi at O'Bella Salon & Spa in Blaine. Probably a hike for you, but she is worth it.

2. Have you tried Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner yet? Do it. Do it now! My life has changed. Seriously.

3. A good stylist who knows curls will be able to best suit your own texture and face shape, but here is proof that you can go short and not 'fro-out, if you're willing to let your stylist thin your hair:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards