Missouri-Kansas City

Reception Order of Events?

We only have our photographer for 7 hours, so I'm trying to come up with an itinerary that allows for plenty of time for pictures beforehand, yet enough time to capture the special moments at the reception (cake cutting, first dance, speeches, etc.)  Currently, I'm planning for the photographer to be present from 1:00 to 8:00 p.m.  Our ceremony is at 5:30, with reception beginning around 6 (same location, 3 floors apart).  I think the wedding party will be introduced around 6:15...not sure where to go from there.  Cake cutting, buffet, dances??  We will have about 250 guests.  Any idea how long it takes for 250 guests to go through the buffet line?  We also need to save a little time for bride/groom to go to rooftop for pictures sometime during the evening.  Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks!
Sarah & Craig
My Planning Bio: http://sarahandcraig.weebly.com/
My Married Bio: http://craigandsarahsides.weebly.com/

Re: Reception Order of Events?

• edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about timing once you are at the venue, but I would contact your photographer, as they will most likely have a good idea when you will need them.
    My ceremony starts at 6:30 and the photographer is not meeting us until 3:30 and we are going to try to get all photos in before, so maybe you don't need to meet your photo until 2:00 or 2:30 (3 hrs before ceremony).
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    We have unlimited time with our photog, so we are going to have her come to our hotel at 11am and do "getting ready" pictures. Here's what my day of schedule looks like:

9am-10am - wake up, breakfast at hotel (must arrange so bride/groom are not eating at same time!!!)
    11am-2pm - hair/makeup, photographer present for "progress" pictures
    2pm - trolley arrives to pick up WP, either bride or groom takes separate transportation to a predetermined "first look spot"
    2:15-3pm - "first look" pictures, bride and groom pictures
    3pm-4:45pm - WP, family pictures
    4:45-5pm - transportation to location, IN PLACE BY 5PM!!!!
    5-6pm - WP, bride, groom have snacks/drinks, relax in place
    5:30-6pm - guests arrive
    6-6:45pm - ceremony (may be only half hour... if so, move everything up 15 minutes)
    6:45-7:45pm - cocktail hour
    6:45-7:15 pm- bride and groom roof top photos (weather permitting), alone time
    7:15pm - Wedding Party entrance, Bride and Groom Entrance
    7:20pm - First dance
    7:45pm - buffet opens
    8:15pm - cake cutting (maybe earlier)
    8:20-8:40pm - speeches (too much time??)
    8:45 - 11pm - dancing/reception/etc
    10:45pm - bride/groom depart
    12pm - after party??

We are going to probably let the photog go about an hour into the actual dancing part of the reception, so around 9:30, 9:45.

Obviously, our situation is a little different since we're doing pictures before. Also, you can do the B&G/WP dancing right after your entrance, so she can capture that right away; I've seen that done alot. Then, you can also do the cake cutting after that so that it's being cut to serve while everyone eats.

Also, off topic, but are you getting married at Club 1000? The only reason I ask is because you mention the roof top photos. I know there are other places that do that, but just curious, lol.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Yep, we are getting married at Club 1000!!  You, too?  I absolutely LOVE it there and can't wait to decorate!  We are doing most of our pictures beforehand, and we also have a trolley!!  I guess great minds think alike! =)

The only thing I wish I would have done differently is hire a photographer with unlimited time.  It's stressing me out to try to come up with a plan to fit everything in before he leaves. 

Thanks for sending your itinerary.  It helps!  Here's what I have so far.  Let me know what you think!

9:00 a.m.  Bride/Bridesmaids’ Hair Appointments at Belle Époque
    11:30 a.m.  Back to Club 1000 to change into dresses and makeup; Food/snacks??
    1:30 p.m.  Photographer arrives; Flowers arrive??
    2:00 p.m.  Bride and Groom “first sight” and pictures at Club 1000
    2:30 p.m.  Wedding Party leave on trolley for on-location photos
    3:00 p.m.  Kristin arrives to set up cake
    3:45 p.m.  WP back to Club 1000; Family must be ready for photos!
    4:00 p.m.  Family photos
    5:00 p.m.  Guest start arriving; girls hang out in Bridal Suite, guys in Groom’s Suite (pack stuff); Background music begins
    5:30 p.m.  Ceremony
    6:00 p.m.  Guests head to 6th floor for reception; DJ begins background music (J&R, J&J, Erica take guest book, scrapbook, card basket, gifts, and floral arrangements to 6th floor)
    6:30 p.m.  Wedding party introduced
    6:35 p.m.  Cake cutting
    6:40 p.m.  Prayer??; Buffet begins (Bride/Groom/Wedding Party first through)
    7:00 p.m.  Bride and Groom to roof for pictures
    7:40 p.m.  Speeches (Best Man, Matron of Honor, Father of the Bride, Bride/Groom-thank you)
    7:55 p.m.  First Dance
    8:00 p.m.  Father-Daughter Dance; Studio 1000 must be clear
    8:05 p.m.  Mother-Son Dance
    8:10 p.m.  Wedding Party Dance
    8:15 p.m.  Garter Toss
    8:20 p.m.  Bouquet Toss
    8:25 p.m.  DANCING AND FUN BEGINS!!
    8:30 p.m.  Photographer leaves
    10:45 p.m.  “Last call” for alcohol
    11:00 p.m.  Reception ends; Cleanup begins (Sides’ family to take gifts to our house)
    12:00 a.m.  Must be out of Club 1000
    Sarah & Craig
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk
    1000 Comments
    edited December 2011
    I think that looks good. You've got all the major stuff in there for the photographer.

My only concern would be the 7pm rooftop photos. Double check when sundown is that day or make sure your photographer is equipped to deal with low light, just in case. I just realized I have to change mine because I think the sun sets at like 6:30 on our wedding day and I don't think we'll be in good shape for pictures in the dark.

What are you thinking about doing for decor? We're doing a bunch of candles and possibly some blue, purple and ivory paper lanterns from the ceiling. Other than that, and the obvious table decor, I'm not sure what we can do. But I love that it's so easy to make that place look awesome! lol

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    We're not doing much decor, other than the tables.  As far as the tables go, one centerpiece is a 19 in tall vase with curly willow, another is a 14 in tall vase with pink floral stems, and the last is a 12 in tall vase with a large pink flower in the bottom and a floating candle.  Then I have about 5 pink votive holders and candles for each table.  I think that will be enough.

Thanks for the photo advice!!  I'll check on that!
    Sarah & Craig
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards