April 2013 Weddings

Dress Ruined

Just want you all to know that my wedding is in 11 weeks (4/13) and I went for my first fitting of an off-the-rack dress I bought out of town in August.   Well, either the dress was torn when I bought it or I ripped it while trying it on, but either way, my lace is ripped in at least six noticable places.   $500 for alterations makes this sensible dress far less sensible.  I've been crying hysterically for 24 hours. Tonight I'm going to David's Bridal to see if I can find a not-so-dream dress as a backup.  I'm nervous that the dress won't be fixed properly, so I need a back up plan.  And I can't wait the couple of weeks to find out.  So.  However bad your stress level might be today.. welcome to my nightmare.   

This was my absolute dream dress.  Besides the lace, I have yet to figure out proper undergarments for it.  I've spent about $400 on non-refundable bras, corsets, spanx, stick-on cups and petticoats.... none are working anyway.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

Re: Dress Ruined

• Oh no :-(  I'm so sorry.  I hope you can find something tonight that is flattering and can show up in time for you.  Good luck and let us know what you find.  Have you looked online to see if anyone is selling the same dress?
  • I'm so sorry!! Thankfully you do have time to find a new dress and David's Bridal can usually do emergency fittings if need be. Hopefully they'll be able to fix your dream dress though!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What size are you? I have  GORGEOUS never been worn dress for sale. Asking $200
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2013
    Size 8 from Davids... one of their discontinued dresses. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm SO sorry!  *Giant hugs*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Oh wow, that sucks! Hopefully the dress can be fixed properly and/or you can find a back up. I'm so sorry this is happening :(
  • How did the dress appointment go?  Were you able to find anything else?  Sorry I know how stressful that can be but at least with David's you can buy off the rack or they have a very short order time!

And as a long shot, like a previous poster I have a dress for sale (actually two dresses, don't ask) - street size 10s one is a Maggie Sottero and one is a David's Bridal.  So if you end up in bind let me know if you want to see them.

Hope it all went well yesterday! 
    February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

No bridesmaids, just my flower girl

• I ended up buying a Craigslist dress for $300 that was NWOT. Fits perfectly, no alterations needed.
  • Thank you all so much!  I haven't logged on since I posted initially.  On Friday night, I went to David's and ended up retiring my torn lace vintage style dress for a completely different vera wang ruffle one that I would never have tried on before.  And go figure, it looks 100x better on me than the original.  I don't even have to take the store sample.  They can get mine in my 3/8.  The wedding is 4/13... sheesh..  Here are both dresses,  All I thought I wanted was this vintage lace style.  Turns out, I probably could have opened my mind a little bit. Would the Vera one have been my first choice?  Probably not. But, I am happy... It's very weird.  I was so upset and exhausted that I couldn't even think about being excited for a new dress.  Side by side the new one (right) is actually more flattering.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• The vera one looks beautiful on you. I'm so sorry you went through this but I'm glad to see you found something you like and that looks great!
  • OMG, YOU LOOK SOOOOO GOOD!  Dare I say it?  Blessing in Disguise?!  Hopefully you won't need too many alterations and you can breathe easy in no time!  Smile
  • I am so jealous! I so wanted that dress but it looked horrid on me!  It looks stunning on you!!

It looks like you lost weight in the Vera!! (not that you are big!!)  I hope that didn't come off wrong.  But your former dress is absolutely not as flattering as the Vera.  It makes you look tiny!! It's gorgeous. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lechillura - I will NEVER take "you look like you lost weight" as an insult! LOL.  But, I did drop about 10lbs.  I think the Vera makes me look 20lbs lighter.  I was hoping to find a corset to put under the lace dress, but had zero luck because of the low back and thin fabric.  It was a blessing in disguise
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• OOO I love the the new dress - both were pretty but I think you are right, the new one flatters your shape more.  Your waist looks tiny!  Yay for blessings in disguise! :-)

I really wasn't very open when I went to shop for dresses either and ended up with a dress I didn't love which means I am now a bride with two dress....sigh.  But I made the right choice the second time around and CANT wait to wear that dress!

Happy for you!
    February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

No bridesmaids, just my flower girl

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards