April 2013 Weddings

So upset! (my bouquet)

So, back in October I decided I wanted to have a brooch bouquet instead of flowers. I liked the idea of having it as a keepsake, and I found someone on Etsy who made really beautiful (and affordable!) pieces, so I contacted her. She was very helpful and eager and I let her know which of her many previous bouquets I liked best and the colours I wanted, and decided to go ahead and order. She required a 50% deposit up front and then when the piece was ready to be shipped the balance would be due. Cool with that. Based on my wedding date she said it would be ready to ship by mid February.

About two weeks ago she sent me photos of the brooches she would use for my bouquet and if there were any I didn't care for she'd use others instead. At that point she also said the bouquet would be ready to go in a couple of days. There were some brooches I didn't care for and I told her, and she said no problem. None of them seemed awful.

Finally, this morning I hear from her again, with a photo of the completed bouquet. I am so upset because it looks freaking hideous! It's way more gaudy and tacky looking than her other bouquets. :( Here's the picture:

I asked to see another photo of the other side (the stem) so maybe it looks better from a different angle. But really, I saw it and I'm almost ready to say forget it, and eat the deposit. It's just nothing like what I wanted and I don't think it's something I'd enjoy displaying after the wedding (which was part of the reason I wanted this kind of bouquet in the first place!).

Sooo, really sorry for the really long vent. I don't know what I want people to say, but really, what do you think of it? Also, it doesn't help that it's now really cutting it close with shipping. It would be coming from the US to England, which will take 2-4 weeks depending on how fast it can go through customs. And my wedding is just over 4 weeks away. Ugh I don't know what to do. :(

Re: So upset! (my bouquet)

• Hey, it will be okay!! Don't worry!

I am also making a brooch bouquet. I wanted to add some flowers to it, either silk or real (depending on the price). I have all of the brooches on their stems and everything, but I was freaking out about how to put it all together; so I took it to a florist and she loved it and offered to help me put it together with real flowers. do you have a florist you could take it to and maybe they could work some magic and play around with it to get it how you'd like it?

For what it's worth, it isn't hideous, if anything it looks like it has a few too many brooches though. But I am a fan of brooch bouquets to begin, so I think it's pretty cool. If I were you I would have her send it ASAP and try and fix it yourself. But I bet it will look way better in person!!
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I dont think it is hideous, I do maybe think there is a lot of them in there, but it is def. a statement piece and will make for awesome pictures. Did you ask for those colors? To me there isn't something that pops so it looks like a lot of "metal".
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ugh. Thanks girls. Ok I guess hideous, tacky, and gaudy were overstatements; that was my knee-jerk reaction. I don't know, it just looks too busy to me, and yeah, so much metal. I said my colours are gold and champagne, so I guess this was the best she could come up with. I guess I just wish it were a bit more subdued. The bright yellow "gold" bits are the worst. I know this is completely bridezilla of me. Thanks for listening. Luckily it's been the only setback so far.

I still don't know what to do. This morning I panicked and looked up brooch and silk flower bouquets on Etsy made in England, to see what else is out there, and I found something I like way better, that is already made and ready to ship. Again, though, I don't want to be impulsive...

I guess it will depend on how quickly she gets back in touch. If I don't hear from her before the weekend I might say forget it. That's the other annoying thing, is she's been terrible with communication (even just acknowledging that I emailed her would be good instead of waiting 1-2 weeks to reply).
  • Also, thanks vk for the idea to see what a florist could do. Unfortunately, we're not doing flowers at all (candle centrepieces instead), so it might be too much trouble; plus it seems like I won't have enough time to fiddle with it before the wedding if I do get it.
  • I think if she were to replace the gold bits with something more ivory or cream colored it might tone it down a bit.  I actually really like it but that would be the first adjustment I would make to tone down the gold :-)  Good luck!
  • We aren't doing flowers either! Our centerpieces are going to be garden-esque with grass and stuff. Because you aren't doing floral centerpieces it may be easier for a florist to do the bouquet, just because that is all they would be doing! 

But If you found one you like better then go for it!

That is what mine looks like right now, lol. Very rough!
  • She might have had a hard time finding brooches with stones in your colors which is probably why she went with the color metal for your colors, and at this point I think that is really what you are missing. It would be really pretty if it had some stones with color and it would give it that pop it is missing right now.  If you are not happy with it I would keep looking :)

148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • As PP said, thebouquest isn't hideous. Could she maybe change out the yellow color (if that was not something that you requested) for another--maybe lavendar, creme or something? Perhaps changing that color and taking away a few broaches would be helpful?
  • **brooch (stupid phone! :) )
  • I've never heard of this but I think it's a really neat idea! OP - I also don't think it's hideous at all! However, if it's bothering you, I agree with what other's said of maybe taking out some of the yellow-y ones and replacing with something else. What about some nice greens to "imitate" leaves and such? It might tone it down a bit while not really adding another color to your color scheme?
  • I agree with other PPs, it isn't hideous at all!  I think you should take out some of the "gold" and replace with pearl or perhaps some green to imitate leaves.  It also seems to be really packed and the brooches overlap each other which may contribute to the gaudiness of it.

• tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, all. I am still waiting to hear from her about other photos. I'm afraid it won't arrive in time if I ask about changing things. Meanwhile, I contacted the other seller in England about the ready to ship bouquet and she's already gotten back to me confirming it's all ready to go, and offering to throw in a matching boutonnier! Gah!

I will let you know what I decide, but I will definitely sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_so-upset-my-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:55512e70-b3db-47b8-afd4-eb709f7ab429Post:3dbf078d-3783-4ab7-ae0e-f75d89ceff4a">Re: So upset! (my bouquet)</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is what mine looks like right now, lol. Very rough!
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

Yours looks great so far! It's much more subtle :) Totally well done doing it yourself too! I thought about trying to make my own for about 5 minutes back in the fall and decided it would be too difficult.
  • I have never seen or heard of a brooch bouquet ever!!!  But I think that is awesome and beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • I don't think it looks bad, in fact I like it and the uniquness of it. Just ask her to tweak what bothers you about it. Tell her to tone down the gold to soften it up. I also like the idea of adding some soft green to look like leaves.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_so-upset-my-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:55512e70-b3db-47b8-afd4-eb709f7ab429Post:d9e3e00b-b357-4a93-95b7-8d04fd0a055f">Re: So upset! (my bouquet)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, all. I am still waiting to hear from her about other photos. I'm afraid it won't arrive in time if I ask about changing things. Meanwhile, I contacted the other seller in England about the ready to ship bouquet and she's already gotten back to me confirming it's all ready to go, and offering to throw in a matching boutonnier! Gah! I will let you know what I decide, but I will definitely sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow.
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

Honestly- I would go this route and just eat the deposit. If it's something you like, plus a bout, and it's in England- sounds like a better option really! Just shoot that first girl an email and tell her, it's great, but I'm sorry it's just not for me and I've gone a different way. Thanks again! Then no stress and you get a beautiful bouquet instead of just hoping she might make that one more to your liking and get it to you on time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_so-upset-my-bouquet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:55512e70-b3db-47b8-afd4-eb709f7ab429Post:6a12dbcb-8d14-4f76-be49-36ecd42192e0">Re: So upset! (my bouquet)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: So upset! (my bouquet) : Yours looks great so far! It's much more subtle :) Totally well done doing it yourself too! I thought about trying to make my own for about 5 minutes back in the fall and decided it would be too difficult.
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

Dude, it was a huge pain. Well, it was fun collecting all of the brooches. But when it came time to put the stems on them it was agony. So you aren't missing anything lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards