April 2013 Weddings

new to this board!! got a couple questions!!

hey girls!! I just stumpled upon this today at work when i was bored...would of been nice to found it earlier in the planning process but hey still very good!! the wedding is April 27, 2013 and i just have been thinking of a couple things maybe you girls can help me out!!

1) my dad is in a wheelchair and I have never seen a father/daughter dance when one was in a wheelchair have any of you or do any of you have any ideas we still want a "dance" just don't know how to go about it!!

2) Since i've gotten engaged i was dead set on not seeing eachother until i walked down the aisle but i've since figuered out the old reasoning behind it and now i'm not sure anymore thoughts/what are you girls doing pics before ceremony or after?

Thanks for your time!!
Jess
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: new to this board!! got a couple questions!!

• Hi, welcome! Unfortunately, I have no good ideas at the moment for your first question. I've just never seen a wheelchair dance before, but I'm sure you'll be able to do something! :)

For your second question, we will be doing pictures before the ceremony. FI and I will probably also be getting ready together in the morning, and we are definitely walking down the aisle together.

What's the "old reasoning" you found out about behind being separate beforehand? As far as I know it's just a remnant of the days when you married straight out of your parents' houses, so of course there would be no way to see each other beforehand, as both bride and groom lived with mom and dad, who would bring them to the ceremony the day of the wedding.
  • Welcome to the board!

1. I am sure you could find some cute ideas on youtube for the daddy/daughter dance!

2. My fiance is very adament about not seeing me or even my dress beforehand. Granted, I don't want him to see me either, but that was his number one rule. So we will be doing pictures after the ceremony.
  • Thanks girls!! The reasoning I found on another board was when it used to be arranged marriages they wouldn't let the groom see the bride before the ceremony incase he wasn't pleased with her looks :S
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1) I'd google it. I'm sure other people have had your same situation. I'm sure you'll figure it out though. My grandmother was in a wheelchair for my sister's wedding and they still danced together for a couple songs. The pictures are actually really adorable for it.

2) We're doing pictures after. We both just liked the idea of him seeing me for the first time all done up when I'm walking down the aisle (as we're doing a traditional church wedding). Also we want a majority of our pictures to be at our venue and going to the venue, then back to the church, then back to the venue would be a bit excessive. It may mean we miss some cocktail hour time, but that's ok with us.
  • ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    I honestly don't have ideas for a father/daughter dance in a wheelchair, but I'd be all over youtube because there HAS to be a way to do it.  Good luck!

We are getting ready seperately, but ARE doing "first look" pics.  I know we'll both start crying, and I'd rather do that when I have time to reapply my makeup and compose myself, rather than be a mess through the whole ceremony.  Plus, like Jess said - that's an OLD custom from way back in the days of arranged marriages, and this is FAR from an arranged marriage for us!  We'll do a few photos after the ceremony as well, but I love the idea of a first look shoot and can't wait to see the pics!

I figured if he can watch me give birth to our daughter and not be scared away, he can handle seeing me before the ceremony.  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Despite the orgins of not seeing the groom before the ceremony, I love the idea of building that excitiment of that first look as I am coming down the aisle. I think it will be very magical! :) We are definitely not seeing each other before the wedding .After the rehearsal dinner, we are parting ways until I walk down the aisle. :) But to each his or her own, thought I share my 2 cents. c:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Its so interesting to hear everyones thoughts in a friendly manor!! Good Advice/input girls!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I are definitely doing a first look. My thought is that, without a first look, we aren't going to get much time together on the most important day of our lives. I mean, we're getting ready separately all morning, if we don't see each other until ceremony time, that's already 4:30. And, then the rest of the night is already booked with cake and dinner and no time for bride and groom to have a moment to soak it all in together. We're taking our first look pictures and then having a private moment to chat before I walk down the aisle towards the rest of our life!! :D

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jesslamb830jesslamb830 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_new-to-this-board-got-a-couple-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e977c49c-046b-4d44-9418-09f35e715b23Post:e222341f-2f99-4993-a02e-cdc14dbaa965">Re: new to this board!! got a couple questions!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are definitely doing a first look. My thought is that, without a first look, we aren't going to get much time together on the most important day of our lives. I mean, we're getting ready separately all morning, if we don't see each other until ceremony time, that's already 4:30. And, then the rest of the night is already booked with cake and dinner and no time for bride and groom to have a moment to soak it all in together. We're taking our first look pictures and then having a private moment to chat before I walk down the aisle towards the rest of our life!! :D
    Posted by lcatterton[/QUOTE]

That is a really good way to look at it!! Thanks so much...I see your from IA which part? Im in Sioux Falls so I get a lot of IA brides through the Bridal store i work at
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Head to YouTube.  Look at this.  I'm tearing up in the first 12 seconds!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4GVszzxKs  

If you and your pops wanna dance, I say GO FOR IT!

I would like to do first look pics, but FI doesn't want to.  In the end, I don't really care, so he'll just be a blubbering fool at the alter. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_new-to-this-board-got-a-couple-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e977c49c-046b-4d44-9418-09f35e715b23Post:44bc2d68-b1ce-4171-8a09-212cf17e9f9d">Re: new to this board!! got a couple questions!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Head to YouTube.  Look at this.  I'm tearing up in the first 12 seconds!   <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4GVszzxKs" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4GVszzxKs</a>   If you and your pops wanna dance, I say GO FOR IT! I would like to do first look pics, but FI doesn't want to.  In the end, I don't really care, so he'll just be a blubbering fool at the alter. 
    Posted by Cryssteen[/QUOTE]

Wow i'm bawling THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! i've been searcing for months and couldn't find anything it means a lot!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cryssteen, that video is soooo awesome! Just seriously incredibly awesome. Altho now I don't like you because I'm crying. :)

No interest in first look pics. It just seems like another "photo op" to me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards