Louisiana-New Orleans

Introduction

New to the knot here. FI and I have be en engaged since march and are planning out wedding for April 14th, 2012. Our wedding will be in New Orleans as FI is from there and he has a much larger family. We both currently live in Hoboken, NJ. So our wedding will be kind of like a destination wedding for about half our guests. I am sure I will have lots of questions for recommendations for things like hair and makeup, rehersal dinner etc.
April 2012 - October Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Introduction

• sbelle85sbelle85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

I am in a similar situation. I was born in New Orleans but moved as a young child and was raised in Texas. My fiance is from New Orleans. For all of my family and friends, this will be a "destination wedding." Neither fiance nor I currently live in NOLA, so planning is a little bit more of a challenge, but it's fun! I'm gotten some great suggestions and recommendations from girls on the Knot!
  • edited December 2011

This is a great board full of helpful and friendly ladies- welcome!  It has been a great resource and starting point for most of my decisions thus far.  I am from Texas and NO will be a complete destination wedding for us, so I reach out often.  Good luck with your planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I am getting married on April 7, 2012 and am also living in New York.  It's definitely challenging planning a wedding from far away, but this board has been incredibly helpful.

Where are you having your reception?
  • Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! Our Nola DW is in 3 weeks! This board is awesome so ask away.
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    edited December 2011
    Welcome, Jenny!  I'm also nearby, in NYC.  Our Nola DW is February 11, 2012.  The help on this board has been invaluable and can save you a lot of time and effort.

PS  Queen Jane I am impressed by your RSVP stats-- only 2 no-answers?  Is this with or without follow-up calls?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Nice to see all the other DW brides here too! Louisianablue oyr reception venue is The Foundry.
    April 2012 - October Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_introduction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:2dcc3a81-de0d-4e78-91c4-5b8ffc43f8abPost:f43e9ddd-a46a-47b3-b25b-06c6d4bba367">Re: Introduction</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome, Jenny!  I'm also nearby, in NYC.  Our Nola DW is February 11, 2012.  The help on this board has been invaluable and can save you a lot of time and effort. PS  Queen Jane I am impressed by your RSVP stats-- only 2 no-answers?  Is this with or without follow-up calls?
    Posted by bezlu[/QUOTE]

I'm pleasantly surprised, yes. There are a few people we put as no's who are a little on the fence, but it's like 90% they are not coming, and the 2 that we dint know are due to extenuating circumstances, I told them they cod let me know last minute.
  • nannyellenannyelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi All! I just recently got engaged on September 17!! I am from Chalmette, LA, a small city about 30 miles east of New Orleans. My FI is from Walker, LA, a small city near Baton Rouge. We are planning a June 2013 wedding. I can't wait to start planning everything I have been dreaming about for years! (:
  • edited December 2011
    @Queen Jane...just out of curiosity is your attendance what you thought it would be (or higher or lower)?I anticipate inviting about the same number of people and my guests will be traveling too (from Texas). Obviously every situation is different, I just wonder if your predictions were close.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_introduction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:2dcc3a81-de0d-4e78-91c4-5b8ffc43f8abPost:002452ab-b7ff-4ed1-b88e-3dd19badc5af">Re: Introduction</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Queen Jane...just out of curiosity is your attendance what you thought it would be (or higher or lower)?I anticipate inviting about the same number of people and my guests will be traveling too (from Texas). Obviously every situation is different, I just wonder if your predictions were close.
    Posted by NO2012[/QUOTE]

Our very first predication was around 100 would make it. When we realized that much of FI's dad's side would not be making it, we figured maybe around 80ish, so it was pretty close. We have people coming mostly from Texas, a handful from Brooklyn, my small family from Buffalo, NY and a handful of friends from California, plus a few NOLA natives.

It's probably safe to say that the majority of our overall list live in Texas though.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_introduction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:2dcc3a81-de0d-4e78-91c4-5b8ffc43f8abPost:39f6c855-78e2-4fbc-b14b-4f5395c7dbfe">Re: Introduction</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All! I just recently got engaged on September 17!! I am from Chalmette, LA, a small city about 30 miles east of New Orleans. My FI is from Walker, LA, a small city near Baton Rouge. We are planning a June 2013 wedding. I can't wait to start planning everything I have been dreaming about for years! (:
    Posted by nannyelle[/QUOTE]

Wooohoo, St. Bernard!  I'm over in Violet.  :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Same boat here. We live and have family mostly in the Dallas TX area. We are getting married in NOLA on 3/3/12. We did get to visit last week and get a lot of things done, but most of it was done long distance with emails and phone calls and with the help of the lovely ladies on this board. They have been great. We have a few family members from NY (that will be in FL at the time - snowbirds) and 90% of the rest of the family are in TX. We have a few people in CO & RI as well. 

Welcome to the board! 
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome! I'm sort of a newby too, but this is an awesome board. I'm happy to be here and everyone has been sooooo helpful. My date is october 6,2012.
  • citybayougirlcitybayougirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I live in New York as well and my fiance is from Shreveport,La. We decideed on Nola because not only would it be a treat for us but for our guests, most have never been to NO!
    I'm just getting over the flu which I believe came on by me overworking and over stressing about the wedding. The ladies on here are great and helped me when I first started in a panic. I've since chilled a little. You'll find the answers you need here!
  • citybayougirlcitybayougirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_introduction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:2dcc3a81-de0d-4e78-91c4-5b8ffc43f8abPost:39f6c855-78e2-4fbc-b14b-4f5395c7dbfe">Re: Introduction</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All! I just recently got engaged on September 17!! I am from Chalmette, LA, a small city about 30 miles east of New Orleans. My FI is from Walker, LA, a small city near Baton Rouge. We are planning a June 2013 wedding. I can't wait to start planning everything I have been dreaming about for years! (:
    Posted by nannyelle[/QUOTE]
    My FI has family in Baton Rouge,La
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards