Louisiana-New Orleans

Second Line & Southern Oaks Plantation Wedding

Hello Everyone -

I am having my wedding ceremony and reception at Southern Oaks plantation which is easier logistically. However, my fiance REALLY wants to do a second line and thinks it is only fun to do a second line if it is from ceremony to reception site in FQ. Is that true? Is there a way for me to incorporate the 2nd line at SOME point in the evening? I am not totally familiar with the second line so I really want to know.

Re: Second Line & Southern Oaks Plantation Wedding

• Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not familiar with that venue, but could you second line around the property or from your ceremony area to the reception area? I think that would be fine. Our venue is not right in the quarter, closer to Treme, so we are second lining around a few blocks there.
  • wineo929wineo929 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm living in Nola now and getting married in CT... We're Second Lining from the ceremony site down a path to the church (about 2 blocks). As far as I'm concerned you can Second Line anywhere! It's a celebration!! :)
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to SOP for a wedding. It's a lovely venue and I had a blast at the reception there (the food and drinks were awesome), but I can't think of anywhere safe to Second Line. The main street that accesses the place is pretty busy and (from what I remember) did not have a shoulder so it was pretty narrow. And when you get about 2 blocks away from the venue the neighborhood gets a little seedy (lots of vacant buildings from Katrina).   I think it's probably best to stay on-premises. 
  • edited December 2011
    Our ceremony & reception are at Houmas House and so, instead of the traditional parade in the streets, we are having a brass band come in at the end of the night, play a few songs and then second line us all out of the venue.
  • asd2011asd2011 member
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at SOP ( although 15 years ago), but I remember when there was a second line band, they just went around the inside of the venue and around the pool area.  It's not the same as going from one destination to another, but every wedding that I worked, they always had a great time with it.  Good luck!
  • kbsmom1kbsmom1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    KB had a Second Line at her reception at SOP.....had Original Pin Stripes....theres a side drive way that circles around the front of the plantation then circles back to the front porch.....Kyle had the band out in front of their carriage then all the BMs and family followed with second line hankies.....the band entered the buiolding after the guest and circles the room several times and played for quite a while..........BUT we are from Georgia and had never seen one so maybe not as great as the Quarter but was pretty spectacular to our guests and us...the drve and circle not that long but it took about 10 min or so then lots more time inside...hope this helps
  • edited December 2011
    I thought a second line band was included in the package at Southern Oaks. (I may be wrong). Most second lines at weddings, that I have been to are usually performed at the end of the night (usually the last 30 min) signaling to the guest that the party is over. It is not necessary to second line throughout the street, most ones I've seen go around the room, and people still have a good time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    the second line is not included. you have to pay extra for that. thank you all for your responses! quite helpful indeed.
  • saiyingpunsaiyingpun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got married at SOP and did a second line at the end of the reception outdoors. However, I would recommend discussing where to lead the second line, because we forgot on the night and just ended up circling the pool! It was still really fun though. We passed out handkerchiefs before and SOP provides umbrellas for the bride and groom. They normally prefer to do it between the ceremony and reception, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards