Louisiana-New Orleans

Travel between ceremony and reception

Hey everyone, sorry if this might be long-winded. We have a tentative hold on the St. Louis Cathedral. I'm really excited about getting married here--it's beautiful, it takes my breath away. We originally wanted to have the reception at the Riverview Room or Pat O's on the River, but have since found out that neither of those spaces will meet our needs spacewise, so we are looking into other venues for the reception. We want to do a seated reception, which I know isn't the norm, but is what we prefer.

If we were to have had the reception at one of those two venues, people would have been able to park once and walk to the Cathedral and then walk to the reception. Now that we must look at other venues, they will have to park in the Quarter, then drive to the reception venue. My mother thinks that this will deter people from coming and I really don't want to inconvenience anyone.

We are throwing around the idea of a shuttle, but with the amount of people we are anticipating, this just doesn't seem feasible. So, my question is, do you think my mother is right? Would parking in the FQ, then driving to another venue keep you from coming to the wedding?

Photobucket

Re: Travel between ceremony and reception

• TurWalkTurWalk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered other reception venues in the Quarter like a hotel ballroom, Latrobes, or the Wax Museum? Parking in the FQ then driving to another local for a reception would be a bit of a pain, but it wouldn't deter me from attending a wedding.
  • meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    some people may choose to only go to the reception bc they don't want to park twice or deal w/ the headache of getting down to the quarter.  although there are a ton of reception venues for a seated dinner within walking distance of the cathedral.

that being said, we are having shuttle buses.  my ceremony will be immaculate conception and the reception at the westin.  two shuttle buses, one smaller one for the bridal party and a 64 passenger bus which will do two round trips (its only 6 blocks away but too far in heals or bad weather).  we have many guests staying down in the quarter so this is the best option for us.

what other venues are you considering?  my sister had a seated dinner reception at the foundry and it was fabulous!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    The Riverside Hilton is also big enough for a sit down reception and not too far either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it should deter people from attending, although I would consider shuttle buses if you can.  We are doing buses from hotel to church to reception, partly for our guests' convenience and partly to discourage people from driving after having a few celebratory drinks with us. 

But if you are looking for other venues in the FQ or CBD, have you checked out Chicory or the Board of Trade?  Gallier Hall might also be an option. And as Turwalk pointed out, Latrobe's is another option, along with hotel ballrooms.  We loved Latrobe's but it was booked for our date. 
  • edited December 2011
    i am getting married at the cathedral and that was a concern for us.

We looked into renting street cars for gallhier hall, but ended up at the Royal Omni.  We are still having some shuttles but it is walking distance for most.

Also check out Antionie's, Muriels, and the Calbido if you are getting married at the Cathedral.

www.mromag1.weebly.com
  • rchaversrchavers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you ladies tell me what company has these shuttle buses? I have looked around and I am not finding anything. I am getting married at Southern Oaks and my guests are staying in the french quarter. I would like to find a safe way to transport everyone. Thank you!
  • meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are going with grace's transportation.  a neighbor used them for their daughters wedding last fall with no problems.

http://www.gracestransportation.com/
  • edited December 2011
    I believe Hotard buses does shuttle buses at a fairly reasonable price.  I remember one of the Knotties posting how she transported people from the French Quarter to Southern Oaks Plantation using Hotard.  She was very pleased.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards