Louisiana-New Orleans

Is a hair/makeup trial a must?

Do you think having a hair & makeup trial is necessary? I booked Glamour Therapy for my wedding day hair & makeup, but I'm not taking bridal portraits so I don't want to waste the money on a trial. I thought about getting a trial done the day of my bachelorette party but Natalie isn't available that day. 

Re: Is a hair/makeup trial a must?

• edited December 2011
    i dont neccesarily think it is. I am not doing a hair trial bc i have short hair so its probably going to be simple and just blown out, nothing elaborate. What are you thinking of getting? If its an up-do then maybe you should consider it? but if its something simple, i wouldnt waste the $. I am undecided on the makeup. I keep going back in forth. I may just cut pictures from magazines of make-up applicaitons i like and bring them on the day of the wedding so she knows what i am going for. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dandywarholdandywarhol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure it is a must but I certainly feel more comfortable after having one.  I do not want to look like a clown on my wedding day and not knowing what the makeup artist is capable would make me anxious. 

Will you be using your own makeup or will you be using the makeup artists?  I'm having my hair and makeup done at an Aveda Salon and using their products.  When I went for my trial my lady gave me the helpful tip that their Aveda waterproof mascara isn't that great and that I may want to bring my own.  
    BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    My blog My chart
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is a huge must because I changed hair stylist after my hair trail.  Also the makeup trial allowed me to figure out what I want for the wedding day.
    www.mromag1.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    I think a hair/makeup trial is a really, really good idea.  I'm glad I did it because I was able to meet with both people and communicate with them about my vision and come up with the exact look I wanted.  I absolutely loved what they did so the trial confirmed that the people I hired were going to be able to achieve the look I was going for, they were people I could communicate with, and they did a great job.  Just having that kind of reassurance is really nice considering how stressful the whole wedding thing can be.

In addition, my people encouraged me to leave the hair & make-up as is for as long as possible thoughout the day.  They even said if I could, I might consider going out with friends for a drink or two.  Then they said I should take pictures throughout so that I could see how it "wore" through the day & night and then I'd be able to let me them know if there was anything I didn't like or wanted to make changes to.  I thought this was a great suggestion.  Not only did I decide that I might want to make my eye make-up a little darker but I now feel really great that my look is definitely going to last & hold up well throughout the entire wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I am thinking about a simple hairstyle, so maybe I'll just schedule a makeup trial. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hairmakeup-trial-must?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:6f10a7bd-baf7-4ba9-a948-6c588841d4e3Post:74193405-d707-4fa7-9893-9a22ae287781">Re: Is a hair/makeup trial a must?</a>:
    [QUOTE] In addition, my people encouraged me to leave the hair & make-up as is for as long as possible thoughout the day.  They even said if I could, I might consider going out with friends for a drink or two.  Then they said I should take pictures throughout so that I could see how it "wore" through the day & night and then I'd be able to let me them know if there was anything I didn't like or wanted to make changes to.  I thought this was a great suggestion.
    Posted by lexicon82[/QUOTE]

This exactly. Even simple hairstyles might not make it through the night, and your trial run allows you tonot only see the hairstyle, but test how well it holds up for several hours, and if you get annoyed by it halfway through the night.

I'm definitely doing a trial run because I want to wear my hair down for the ceremony, and up for the wedding. I want to see how long it takes the stylist to fix my hair into a quick, but elegant updo.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards