Louisiana-New Orleans

Awesome dress buying experience

So excited to purchase my dress today! I'm on a budget and didn't want to spend more than $500, so I decided to start at David's. I went to the one in Slidell because my best friend and mother-in-law were helping me shop, and they both live on the Northshore, so I figured I'd come to them. 

Well, if you go there for any reason, ask for Kelli. She was just awesome. I'm a plus sized bride and a tomboy to boot, so I was definitely not excited about dress shopping. She helped me find the perfect dress--I felt thin, tall, confident, sexy--all around beautiful. She included everyone, but also made sure I was the one calling she shots. She was also really patient and cheerful. The dress wound up being on sale, and at the end of the day, I was one dollar under budget ;)

It was a great experience. I would recommend David's in Slidell to anyone! 

Re: Awesome dress buying experience

• meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you lucked out and had a great experience.  Post pics of the dress!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using them for my bridesmaids dresses and so far I am very happy!  I'm so glad it worked for you too!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a good experience there when I got a BM dress there and they messed the bride's dress up during alterations. I also thought they were very pushy and I know they were all about the sale. The girl was helping 3 brides at once and I felt it was just unorganized and scattered. They didn't even call me when my dress came in, luckily the bride had to go in to get her dress fix and they let her know.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011

I went to the one in Metairie and LOVED them all.  I had an amazing experience from day one with them.  Stopped in to get some color swatches tonight actually, and the girl who helped me still remembered me.  Yes, the DB workers might not always be able to give you one-on-one attention, but that's perfect for me.  Loving my DB experience so far.  And LOVE my dress, haha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I've only been to the DB in Baton Rouge, but I HATED it!!! I was there for 20 minutes before anyone came to help me (I had an appointment) then the girl kept disappearing so that I had to pull all my own dresses and put them all on by myself! I ended up having to get a lady who was there with another bride to zip one of the dresses because I couldn't get it!! It was horrible!

I don't have any personal experience with the Slidell store but my fiance and I shot a wedding this summer for a bride who used them and the her alterations were messed up and one of the bridesmaids didn't get her bress until the DAY BEFORE.

• chleoniechleonie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I also got my dress at David's.  I had a great experience.  The woman that helped me was did a great job.  My dress is beautiful, fits well and wasn't expensive.  I highly recommend them.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_awesome-dress-buying-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:9250ee14-3341-4b70-bab0-4abbb13d8941Post:e99acbf2-b400-4d8d-a51b-950ce1dc1ee3">Re: Awesome dress buying experience</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've only been to the DB in Baton Rouge, but I HATED it!!! I was there for 20 minutes before anyone came to help me (I had an appointment) then the girl kept disappearing so that I had to pull all my own dresses and put them all on by myself! I ended up having to get a lady who was there with another bride to zip one of the dresses because I couldn't get it!! It was horrible! Posted by TWmom[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on who you get and where you go.  The first time I went to DB, the girl helping me was so amazing, helped me into every dress, brought shoes and accessories, etc.  But usually, I don't really like being doted on like that, so when I went back for a second time and another girl didn't really give me that kind of attention, I didn't really mind.  But that's just me.  Places like Pearl's Place, where they do hustle and hover, just made me uncomfortable.  I think it kind of depends on what kind of experience you are looking for and who you get.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_awesome-dress-buying-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:9250ee14-3341-4b70-bab0-4abbb13d8941Post:d787e454-0ba7-4776-b7a8-4bed376190f6">Re: Awesome dress buying experience</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Awesome dress buying experience : I guess it depends on who you get and where you go.  The first time I went to DB, the girl helping me was so amazing, helped me into every dress, brought shoes and accessories, etc.  But usually, I don't really like being doted on like that, so when I went back for a second time and another girl didn't really give me that kind of attention, I didn't really mind.  But that's just me.  Places like Pearl's Place, <strong>where they do hustle and hover, just made me uncomfortable.  I think it kind of depends on what kind of experience you are looking for and who you get.
    </strong>Posted by sammyjames[/QUOTE]

you're probably right...I dont normally like being the center of attention either...but I definantly knew I was going to need a professional's help picking a dress.  I went to Alfred Angelo in BR first and not only were they very helpful, but they seemed genuinely interested in helping me figure out the perfect dress for my body and style that i wanted for the wedding, and really, its not exactly easy getting into some of those dresses <em>with</em> help! :) 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_awesome-dress-buying-experience?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:9250ee14-3341-4b70-bab0-4abbb13d8941Post:fecbb75d-fa2b-4bc3-8c7e-650a8cf8757f">Re: Awesome dress buying experience</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Awesome dress buying experience : you're probably right...I dont normally like being the center of attention either...but I definantly knew I was going to need a professional's help picking a dress.  I went to Alfred Angelo in BR first and not only were they very helpful, but they seemed genuinely interested in helping me figure out the perfect dress for my body and style that i wanted for the wedding, and really, its not exactly easy getting into some of those dresses with help! :) 
    Posted by TWmom[/QUOTE]

Haha, so true!  I never realized how HEAVY wedding dresses were until I started looking.  And those corset backs are insane!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards