Ohio-Columbus
Options

Parent gift for my Step-Dad?

So the earlier post about parent gifts got me thinking...who should I buy parent gifts for?

Heres the scoop:
My mom & dad are divorced. Dad has been remarried for 20 years.
My mom & step-dad just recently got divorced.

My mom, dad & step-mom and grooms (married) parents are paying for the wedding. I am still close to my step-dad, but he is not offering any money for the event. Dad & Step-Dad will walk me down the aisle together.

I know that I will buy a separate gift for my Dad/Step-Mom and then my Mom. Do I buy something for the step-dad even though he isn't contributing to the wedding? He has done a lot for me throughout my life & helped raise me.

Re: Parent gift for my Step-Dad?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you are so close with him and he is walking you down the aisle it would make sense to give him a small gift. Could you write a nice note to him explaining how thankful you are for him, etc. and maybe frame it?

Could you give him a nice framed photo of just the two of you? Maybe form the wedding day or when you were younger? Something sentimental is always better for parent gifts (IMO) as opposed to a gift card somewhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree maybe a small gift.  I also view the gifts as a think you for everything you have done in my life not so much a think you for paying for my wedding but that might just be me.  I also have a problem like this my dad got remairried 2 or 3 years ago but they were together for like 10 years before they got married.  We were not close when they were dating you could almost day we disliked each other.  However when they started living together and we were forced to spend more time together we became much closer.  I think I will probably get her something small but then that puts pressure on FI cause he has 2 step parents, one he is pretty close with the other not so much but oh well we will figure out something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards