Maryland-Baltimore

NWR: Quit or be fired?

So as some may know my job isn't great right now and there is the possibility that I might be fired in the next couple of months.  I'm in a contract so I can't just walk out without owing more than a new BMW costs, but would it be better for me to quit or be fired? At least if I am fired I can collect unemployment until I find a new job.  Not ideal, but better than quitting without a new job, and getting nothing since I quit.  I am feeling out my boss for what she thinks will happen but she is being very non-committal with her responses, of course.  To my knowledge, any future employers that contact my company will only be told that I was employed there, nothing else (not even if I am eligible for rehire). So, what would you do? Quit or be fired? (And by Quit... I mean lets pretend they are able to let me quit without paying any money back...)
*Erin*

MyBio image

Re: NWR: Quit or be fired?

• edited December 2011
    Any way you could start looking for a new job while you are still there and if you find something, then quit? That's a tough one .. I don't know what I would do. I know a couple people in a similar situation and they just waited to get fired. They had no issues at future interviews because the prior employer can't really say anything, so they just told the new places they interviewed they were let go and that was it.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry Erin! That really sucks. I am kind of confused on your situation so I don't want to give you any advice as to what to do. But it sounds like maybe you should just stick it out and wait until you are fired. Like I said I dont know what the situation is, but when I interviewed for my current job, I asked that they not call my boss because he didnt know I was looking. HTH! Sorry I am not better at giving you advice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    The whole situation is really confusing. I just kinda wondered whether people think its better to quit a job or be fired if it had to be one or the other.  I am a retail loan officer and as a result of the economy I think they are holding people accountable for loan production that isn't really realistic like it was a couple of years back.  But it is what it is, I wont be the first, or last, person to lose a job as a result of the economic crap going on.
    *Erin*

MyBio image

• weezie825weezie825 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    DId you ever speak to a lawyer?  I think there must be some "out clause" in your contract.  Of the two choices, I guess I would say that it is better to continue working as long as you can and hope that the economy turns around enough that they never do let you go.  Like you said, it isn't ideal and there is a very real possibility that you'll get fired, but at least you'd be able to get unemployment. I hope things turn around for you!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Be fired!!!  When I left my job in NY to move to MD, not work and go back to school i BEGGED them to fire me.  No luck.  My boss told me to get a job at McDonalds and let them fire me and collect unemployment that way, haha.I guess the best option would be to try to find another job, and if you can't let them fire you and find a new one while collecting unemployment?
    Holiday Card 2011
    The Baloney Bug, A Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Weezie - No I never got a lawyer, it still kills me to have to fork out a couple of thousand dollars to deal with that.  Thats money that if (or when) I get fired, I will need!& Joan you are probably right, getting fired is the ideal option for unemployment purposes I guess... its more my pride getting in the way.  And I wish they wouldn't drag this out, its been going on since April.  They should have fired me in June so I could have enjoyed my summer :)
    *Erin*

MyBio image

• edited December 2011
    *Playing Devil's Advocate w/r/t being fired:* My only caveat would  be that while some companies do have a strict policy of only confirming dates of employment and compensation when it comes to references, there are ways that people can subtly work in the circumstances surrounding your departure.  Also, at job interviews, potential employers will likely ask why you left your last job and you'd have to tell them then that you were fired (or risk them finding out later).  It's a tough call, I know. I think you have the fact that you're in a line of work that's really tough right now, and I doubt that any potential employer would really hold it against you that you were let go given your industry and the way the market it.
  • vjcjenn1vjcjenn1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if it's not performance related then wouldn't you just be terminated.If you quit...you can still file for unemployment, especially if you are faced with a quit or be fired scenario...either way....you have to kind of fight for it and they may fight against it (or they may not).If I were you, I would gather good references while you can and let yourself be fired
  • MrsNDMMrsNDM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine choosing to quit and have no income when you can be laid off/fired and collect unemployment while looking for another job. I don't think potential employers would hold it against you that you were laid off, not with how many people are in the same position right now. The only way I'd quit was if I had another job waiting immediately after quitting.
  • edited December 2011
    Be fired..or "let go", rather. So many people have lost jobs that it's not an uncommon thing at this point.  No potential employer would see you being laid off as a reflection on how good an employee you would be.I was laid off right after the holidays, last day at my job was New Year's Eve.  I was unemployed for about 3 months and during that time I was on unemployment.  No big deal really...I mean to file for unemployment.  It is what it is and at least you could have that money while looking elsewhere.  Good luck to you!  Try not to worry yourself to death.  Things will look up.  I know how you feel (different circumstances but still..) and you will get through it!
  • strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with whoever said to look for another job now, and once you get that job then quit.  If it comes down to you're either being fired or quit, then the best choice would be to quit. 
  • edited December 2011
    It truly depends on whether you mean "fired" for performance reasons or "let go" as a result of downsizing.I can tell you, even though you can collect unemployment by being let go, it's very, very, VERY difficult to get a new job when you've been fired.When you are "fired", when your new potential employer does a background check after you've interviewed, etc for a new job and they're ready to extend an offer, more often than not they will call you previous employer and ask if you are "eligible for re-employment", and if you were fired for performance reasons, your previous employer will often say "no", which can most likely lead to you not getting the job.This happened to a very close friend of mine and he had TWO employers interview and love him after he was fired, but then he had the "not eligible" for re-employment problem and didn't get those jobs as a result.So, I'm going against the grain and saying "quit", rather than being fired. 
  • edited December 2011
    oh, not to mention if you get truly "fired" for performance reasons, you can't collect unemployment anyways. All that being said (including above), if you are "let go" you can collect unemployment and technically still be "eligible for re-employment" when an prospective employer does a background check.That is all! :)
  • edited December 2011
    You're in a no-win sitation, unfortunately. If they didn't make you pay back your contract, I'd quit. I could be wrong about this, but when I was collecting unemployment in MD a few  years ago, I believe there was a stipulation about being fired. It was either that your benefit was delayed for so many weeks or it wasn't the full benefit? So it might not even be worth the money to collect unemployment.
  • edited December 2011
    I would have to agree with Merica on this one. The difference between being "fired" and "laid off" is significant in this situation.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the above few posts.  If your job is "eliminated" or if you are laid off, you are eligible for unemployment.  If you are fired for performance issues, you are not eligible for unemployment.  Big difference.  I would start looking now.  When is your contract up?  Good luck. 
  • edited December 2011
    I've been doing some research today and it looks like as far as unemployment goes it would be the same if I quit or was fired (a 5-10 week waiting period before it would begin though in both instances).   My contract is through 2012 and I can not afford to quit, have no job, & pay them back.  I'll just wait it out and see what happens b/c that is pretty much my only option at this point.  If I can talk my way out of my contract (chances are slim to none that will happen), then I would probably quit today and avoid the whole mess.  But my company has just basically told me they wont talk to me about it, I need to speak to an attorney.  So maybe thats my next step.  Thanks for everyones advice and input. 
    *Erin*

MyBio image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards