Maryland-Baltimore
Options

NWR: I'm 32.2% Fat

So apparently I have very little muscle. I don't weigh much but I had my physical and I'm told my body fat is 32.2% (not to be confused with BMI) The ideal range for a woman my size and height is less than <25%. I'm not quite sure what to make of these numbers, does this mean I need to hit the gym and build muscle??I'm meeting with my trainer tomorrow and I'll ask her all these questions but I believe there are a few ladies on here who work out and may have additional info; please chime in with advice/input/etcTIA!

Re: NWR: I'm 32.2% Fat

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hm... your height should have nothing to do with your % body fat... a woman who is 5'11" and 32% body fat would have the same concerns as a woman who is 5'1" and has 32% body fat. 25-32% body fat is acceptable for anyone, no matter the height. People into fitness and working out typically have 21-24%, athletes typically have between 15-20% body fat (ball park). In order to survive in a healthy body you need at least 10% body fat... Most women, though, should be around the high teens-twenties. Women naturally have more % body fat than men- they need it for childbearing. I'm really confused though. If your BMI was 25 or above that would be a problem. BMI should be less than 25.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    2have2hold2have2hold member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah my BMI is perfectly fine (21.4%). Since I never really bothered to monitor my body fat, I was just thrown on off when she gave me that number. As idiotic as it may sound, it just never occurred to me to check on the BF % as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BF% is not always right. I'd go with your BMI (in the medical field at least, I know that's the only thing we are concerned with). I mean I'd ask your personal trainer about it if you're REALLY concerned, because I'm sure they could help you with a great wedding workout anyways (I'm definitely getting one!). But BMI is usually the most accurate. I'd have your trainer do your BF% and see what they get... it could be totally different than what your doc got! That's the funky thing about BF% is that it is very subjective to the person taking it.
  • Options
    MrsNDMMrsNDM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually wouldn't go with your BMI. According to my BMI, I'm obese, I'm 5'6, 135lbs and 22% body fat, I'm not a bean pole or the most in shape person but obese, come on. 32.3% isn't shocking or horrible but there's definetly room and reason to lower that number.Muscle mass is important in increasing bone density and strengthening your ligaments and joints to avoid injury. Women especially need to incorporate strength training into their existing workout plan or start one focusing on this, starting at the age of 20 you loose one half pound of muscle every year and strength training will be the most crucial part of reversing this. Strength training also decreases the risk and/or symptoms of osteoporosis, depression, diabetes, obesity, and arthritis. Good luck, it takes time, if you need any more help/advice let us know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mrs NDM!!! You are most definitely NOT obese! With what info you said, you'd have a BMI (not to be weird) of 21.8... normal BMI is 18.5-24.9... 25-29.9 is overweight and 30+ is considered obese. Don't mean to go all nurse on you, but you're in great shape! BMI is the most accurate way to go.
  • Options
    MrsNDMMrsNDM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hahha I know I'm not, that was my point in saying BMI isn't always the most accurate but thank you! I'm not sure if it's different from a nuring POV but when I studied to be a personal trainer, from a health/fitness POV we were always told use body fat over BMI. I'm sure both are at times are better than the other depending on the circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards