Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Not a wedding question, but a Baltimore one!

My fi and I are thinking about moving to Baltimore after we get married - possible end of fall 2012 or early 2013 - we would like to be able to buy a house in a few years and want to lower our cost if living. I have some cousins that live in Canton and we have a friend moving there over the summer to do a fellowship at JHU. Questions for you ladies - what areas within Baltimore city do you recommend? We are thinking Canton, Inner Harbor, Fells Point...where else should we consider? Would like to be walking distance to an area with shops and restaurants and where we can walk our dog. How much time do we give ourselves to job hunt? He is an Architect with 1 year working exp. and Masters deg. I am a training coordinator for a consulting firm. Thanks!

Re: Not a wedding question, but a Baltimore one!

• Options
    celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    If you're comfortable PM'ing me your email I can send you the document we give to incoming residents and fellows that describes the local neighborhoods. 

Fells Point is probably my favorite neighborhood but it has some larger drawbacks. First, most of the houses are huge which is why they are often shared by roommates. There are apartments in big highrises on the water, but they are very expensive ($2k+ for a 1 bedroom) Parking can also be a nightmare particularly if there is a festival going on. 

Canton will give you most of the benefits of Fells without the draw backs. The houses are more moderately sized and the parking is a bit better unless you live right on the square. The area on the square can also become a fratboy nightmare certain times of the year (think St. Patty's day). 

Mt Vernon is another neighborhood we both love. It's a bit cheaper than the other two areas but it is comprised more of apartment buildings than row homes. There is a lot too do and it is a very dog friendly community. 

The area around Patterson Park is excellent and of course the park is the biggest draw. It's also convenient to Hopkins and Canton. It has a nice neighborhood feel and strong sense of community.

Last but not least I would recommend Bolton Hill. It is just west of Mt Vernon so you can walk to bars, restaurants, and stores but it is a very quiet and pretty neighborhood. We lived there for a while and would have stayed longer if our landlord wasn't a giant pita. Like Fells, a lot of the houses are huge but I think there are all some more normal sized houses as well. The art school is nearby as well as the symphony. 

I would not recommend the Inner Harbor area, it is overpriced and that part of the city is either dead or filled with tourists outside of the daily 9-5 business week. 

When looking for places to live I would take the neighborhood names with a grain of salt. Realtors like to push the boundaries of nicer neighbourhoods to include sketchy areas. Ask a local before you commit. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I grew up in Bmore county, and as a country girl I rarely venture into the city.  However, PP has pretty much summed up much of what I heard (I mean, I live so close its too hard not to get the general gist), but even before I read it, please please avoid the inner harbor lol.

Popular places my friends have moved to are Fells and Canton
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards