Maryland-Baltimore

cant get married in my catholic church - suggestions?

I posted this in the catholic and maryland sections so sorry for posting so much, but i need some advice

So i live in va (close to the NC  border) but grew up in Maryland.  I contacted the church i grew up in about getting married there, and was basically told I cant since a) i dont go there anymore and I have to for at least 6 months before a wedding can even be scheduled.  b) I am not a registered catholic at a church down here.

I understand it to an extent but not really.  How can my friend who hasnt been to church in years, lives with her boyfriend and is pregnant get married in her catholic church?  I'm sure I'm not the only girl who has ever wanted to get married at the church she grew up in, instead of one that I have no ties to in virginia. 

Any suggestions?  Does anyone know a catholic church in the anne arundel or Pg or even baltimore area that would marry me and my fiance?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: cant get married in my catholic church - suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    St. Alphonso, I have been to several weddings there maybe give it a try, I am in a wedding next month at St.Leo in Baltimore, I know my girlfriend doesn't belong there but they were able to use the church,Just a couple of ideas. 
  • edited December 2011
    St. Joseph Fullerton on Belair Rd (Balt County) We're getting married there too! They are pretty flexible it seems. Talk to Fr. Kevin Schenning
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • soccerella7soccerella7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the suggestions!  Im gong to try to work it out a little with my church and see what they say, but if not i will definitelky contac these others. 

Offhand though do you know what their fee is for nonmembers and any other requirements?  Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at St. Alphonsus in Baltimore.  Not a parishoner prior to arranging the wedding, though FI and I go on occasion now.

The fee there is $880 - $800 for the church, $80 fee for whoever is reponsible for opening the place up for the day.  You can get parking at a private lot for another $75, and I don't know yet how much music costs there.

HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Are your parents still members of the church?  You'd think that they would be willing to work with you if they are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know I am responding late, but I have been through this myself so I think I can offer some suggestions. Usually in order to get married in a Catholic church, they want you to become a member (and be a member for about 8 months or so before you get married). So if you just got engaged, you can pick your church and join up! I don't know where in MD you are looking, but some of the prettiest ones are the Cathedral of Mary our Queen, The Basilica, and I even like the small church (the original) at St. Louis in Clarksville- the others are in Baltimore. In order to have a ceremony they will ask for a donation, and that varies among the churches.
  • edited December 2011
    Anyone know who to contact about rentable parking lot near St Alphonsus?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards