Michigan-Detroit
Options

Help me decide please...

Do I really need a DOC? I say yes but everyone else keeps telling me no. I have our date on hold with Rachell and I am almost at risk of looking her if I don't send in the contract and deposit. I don't have a church right now so I was just going to get the reception package that she offers and she told me I can add with no penalties but my sister and other are saying I am wasting money by using one.

Everyone in my family except a few older and less dependable aunts are in the wedding or playing a part in the wedding in some way. I don't want to overwhelm anyone so I figured I would hire someone and let the family just enjoy the day. Help me decide ladies I have to let her know by today!

Thanks!

I added a poll so once you vote please share why you voted that way!

Re: Help me decide please...

• Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put yes....but my answer is really "it depends."  My hall provided 100% of coordination - calling vendors the week of, confirming timelines, etc etc.  However, we had an outdoor ceremony so we ended up needing a DOC to coordinate everything with the chairs/equipment set-up, DJ/sound stuff, officiant, getting everyone their flowers, giving cues to the string trio, etc.  If we had our ceremony at a church or something, we would not have needed her.  Even though she stayed for part of the reception, she was basically done at this point.  Does your hall provide any coordination??
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    crhein26crhein26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I said yes...and only because that way you can make sure your reception is set up the way that you want it to be and your family doesn't have to do it.  How else are you going to make sure that everything  you want put out is set up correctly?  Most halls will not do that for you.  I will get one for that reason and that reason only.  I don't need someone directly my day.  I have a photographer who knows what she is doing and a DJ that knows what he is doing.  I just need someone to make sure that everything that needs to make it to the reception hall does and gets put in it's proper place before I get there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Brian and Cori 11-19-11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The poll wouldn't let me vote. But if it would have, I would have voted yes. I loved having a DOC. I was able to relax and enjoy my morning with my girls. Unless those aunts and whoever else are willing to pick up the slack that a DOC would do, then I would send in the deposit to Rachel. I've heard nothing but great things about her services.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Obviously I haven't had my wedding yet, but I'm not having one.  The florist that we booked is going to be able to set up all of our floral arrangements for us which is the biggest thing I wouldn't be able to do.  Otherwise I have a lot of family and friends that are willing to help out with set up the day of.  

I personally don't have any spare room in my budget for a DOC, though I'm sure the convenience would be awesome.  I guess my answer would be that it depends, too.  I didn't vote on the poll, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    From the hall perspective, I guess I don't really see why you would need one.  My hall put out the linens (if you use a rental company, they do it), florist did the centerpieces, bakery delivered and set up the cake, and the hall did all the other stuff -- name cards, favors, cocktail napkins, card box, etc.  Don't most halls do this??
  • Options
    Melgor78Melgor78 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm not but if I had the budget for it I would.  Also I would find out what your hall does for you.  If you plan on having a lot to set up it might be a good idea.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My hall did A LOT of things I didn't expect them to do (mostly because I didn't ask, because I had already booked my planner). But, I will say that having Amanda there on the day of gave me a lot of peace of mind. Maggie (from the hall) was amazing and did a great job but having Amanda there as well to help coordinate people and things while Maggie was doing other things was a blessing (because I am a control freak and needed to have things taken care of or I would have had a breakdown). So, I would say, if you're looking for peace of mind, I would get one. I was able to relax and really enjoy my day without having to worry about things that I would have, had I not had a planner there the day of.  I guess I basically had 2 DOC's....maybe that's why my day went so smoothly!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    sheshedukeshesheduke member
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies for the comments. I called the place that I am having my reception and she assures me that they take care of everything except announcements during the reception. Since I have rental chair covers and table cloths they wont set that up but they will make sure that everything is organized. She even said that if the place is not booked the day before we could come in the day before and set up if we wanted to. I am still straddling the fence on if I want to do it. I do want the peace of mind that everything is being taken care of while we enjoy our day and even though the DOC is not a huge amount it could still be used elsewhere. I will seat on it for a little while longer and then I will decide. I just wish I already had my church booked so I could know if I needed a DOC for that and that would make this decision a heck of a lot more easier for me to make. Gosh I hate this :(

Id

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that if you have the budget it is a GREAT use of money.  I hired Simplicity for my reception but didn't have anyone around for the ceremony and I do regret that a little bit.  We started to run behind schedule a bit at the ceremony and I wish they would have been there to push us along. 

I had a lot of vendors coming in and although they were all professional, I did appreciate having someone make sure that it all came together the way I had planned it. 

But the biggest benefit for me was that they cleaned up at the end of the night while we went with our closest family and friends to an outside firepit on the grounds.  It was so awesome sitting around after it was all over with our closest family and friends on a beautiful night around a fire.  If we had to clean up these are the same people who would have been boxing things up and I would have felt obligated to help. 

We ended our evening the same way the entire day went - with no worries. 

So....long story but the moral is....I vote yes!
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    edited December 2011
    I also put "yes". I had a "coordinator" that we paid for with our reception and she was no where to be found the day of. We had to get someone on several occasions get things for us (i.e. vegetarian meals that were ordered and weren't brought out, my nieces kids meal -- also not brought out at dinner, cake cutting stuff, burnt out light for the men's bathroom, etc..).

My SIL coordinated our day for us. If you can't afford a DOC, I would recommend finding someone in your family/and or a friend that can keep track of things for you. The last thing you want to be doing that day is trying to track down someone, or have a million questions being asked to you if someone else can answer them.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do you have a friend/cousin that may be willing to do it? i recently acted a DOC for one of my best friends and was very honored that she trusted me enough to make sure everything was as perfect as she wanted. she saved the money she would have spent otherwise. especially if you hall will be putting everything up for you.. i'd ask around with family and friends and see if someone would do it as a 'gift' to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I put yes too Shee.  Even though I know that HVCC told me that they would take care of everything, I still want to make sure that what I want done gets done.  SMLC also has a wedding coordinator, but like I said there are a few things that I would like to make sure gets done and goes smoothly.  I've asked a friend that I trust who isn't necessarily invited to my wedding if she would "DOC" for me and I'll pay her a little money. I figure this way she gets some extra spending money, I don't have to shell out bookoo bucks on a DOC but I still have my little side jobs tended to.
  • Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_decide-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:05e84c74-1d34-412c-a81e-88033b71fc93Post:07786292-f535-4cc1-946e-aa7125e1c883">Re: Help me decide please...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies for the comments. I called the place that I am having my reception and she assures me that they take care of everything except announcements during the reception. Since I have rental chair covers and table cloths they wont set that up but they will make sure that everything is organized. She even said that if the place is not booked the day before we could come in the day before and set up if we wanted to. I am still straddling the fence on if I want to do it. I do want the peace of mind that everything is being taken care of while we enjoy our day and even though the DOC is not a huge amount it could still be used elsewhere. I will seat on it for a little while longer and then I will decide. I just wish I already had my church booked so I could know if I needed a DOC for that and that would make this decision a heck of a lot more easier for me to make. Gosh I hate this :( Id
    Posted by shesheduke[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you will be OK if you don't have one.  But it never hurts to have one, either.  I used Jill from Simplicity DOC and it was $300 for one 2-hour meeting in advance and 8 hours the day of.  Not too expensive, in my opinion.  Personally, I didn't want one, but it helped MIL sleep easier at night and it was worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If your church and reception venue have coordinators or you are assigned an event manager then I say no. We had both and had no problems. I did however hire our florist to set up and tear down decor which probably wasn't even needed but at $100 it really didn't matter.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one, but I'm also planning everything from 2500 miles away.... so take it with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    edited December 2011
    I am hiring one essentially to clean up at the end of the night.  FI's brother got married a year ago and the entire family was stuck at the end of the night cleaning up and it kinda sucked.  I don't want to make any of my family members do this so I am hiring someone.

She will also be putting together my centerpieces the day of (florist will order the flowers and she will put the vases together) and she's paid of her time by the money I'm saving on the centerpieces.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards