Michigan-Detroit
Options

NWR: Job Advice

Hi! I have a situation and I would love to get some outside opinions on this. I am a social worker. I am currently working in a mediocre job - the first place that offered me something after graduation. The money is.... so so but this job works with a population that I'm not necessarily head over heels about. The pay is at a set amount with no room for advancement and no pay increases... ever, because it is from a non profit funding source., I just got called for an interview with the City of Detroit - Police Department. This job is in the Domestic Violence/Rape/Homicide Unit. This is my dream job!!!! The pay is 5,600 more per year to start with the opportunity for advancement and pay increases. Here's the downside.... I live in Algonac which is about 50 miles one way (we were going to move anyways we might just have to hurry up on that). The other downside is that they're looking for an afternoon or midnights social worker because this unit is 24/7. I've never worked anything but 8-4/9-5 so I'm not sure how I will adjust to that. What would you do? Do you work afternoon/midnights? How do you like it and how did you adjust? How does that work with your relationship with FI/DH? TIA
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NWR: Job Advice

• Options
    mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't work midnights, but FI does. He works 12 hour shifts, 6-6, so he's going to work when I'm getting home & getting home when I'm getting up for work. For us, it works pretty well, mostly b/c he only works 3-4 nights a week. Personally, I don't think I could do it, I need sleep. But as far as our relationship, it hasn't affected us negatively, except I'm lonely in the evenings 3-4 nights/week. :) Good luck! For your dream job, I'd try it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If its your dream job, more money and you planned on moving anyway I say go for it! The only time I worked afternoons was in college and it wasn't so bad, but I have never been a morning person so sleeping in was nice. If there's room for advancement than you will hopefully be able to move to 9-5 at some point.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    eclipsethecateclipsethecat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dream job- I would go for it no matter what. If someone said, here is a Conservator job at the museum but you have to work 40 hours straight I would do it. Kevin worked nights for a year of our relationship. When I lived in Ann Arbor and he lived in Holland. It was annoying, he was tired all the time, but we made it work. I think it will be easier because you guys are actually living together. It was most annoying to me because the nights cut into our weekends together.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's your dream job, I would definitely go for it. If there is room for advancement, you probably won't be on afternoons/midnights forever. As far as the schedule affecting your relationship with FI. I think that it will only affect it to the extent that you allow it to. As long as you and FI understand that things will be a little different and that you'll need to adjust your time spent together, and you work together at it and communicate, you'll be fine. Just make sure to spend quality time together when you can. Think of the long term as well, making these small sacrifices (i.e., longer drive, different hours, etc) could put you in a better place financially, and you'll be happier doing a job that you love and that's what's important. Small sacrifices are worth it when there's bigger gains in the end. goodluck with your decision :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If this is your dream job, then totally do it! You'll definitely learn to get used to the weird hours, but I think if it's your dream job it is worth it. FI works weird hours sometimes. It never really affected our relationship because we live together. He would come home around 1 am and I'd take a nap after I got home so I could stay up and wait for him. Plus you have the weekends. Just do it!
  • Options
    alarthamealarthame member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say go for it! If I had the chance at my dream job, I'd snatch it up in an instant. Especially with better pay and opportunities. I'm also not a morning person so afternoon hours would be great. I worked them on and off for a while before I found a job out of college and it had it's advantages and disadvantages. You can make it work with FI. However, just remember that it is for DPD. It's definitely going to be a different atmosphere than Algonac.
    ~*~ Shauna & Patrick ~*~ 9/5/09 ~*~
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    efabianefabian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely do it! I am in social work too and if I had the opportunity to get my dream job instead of the job I took right after graduation (i'm in the SAME spot you are) then i would jump at it. Finding your dream job that PAYS more is nearly impossible in this field. Go for it, you won't be on midnights forever, and will be awesome experience and enjoyable for you.
  • Options
    ~ K~ K
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like everyone else, if this is your dream job, I say go for it!  I don't have much experience working afternoon or midnights, but I did have to work random hours while in college (sometimes until 2 am) and I got used to it.  Like pp said, it probably won't last forever.  FI and I often work opposite schedules, and we just work around it.  It will work itself out.  At the very least, go through with the interview and see how you feel afterwards.  What does your FI think?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say go for it!  If it is your dream job, you will regret not going for it. My dad worked midnights for 25+ years.  My mom and him love it.  When my mom goes to work, my dad is home sleeping.  When my mom gets home, she gets dinner ready and wakes my dad up.  He gets up around 5:30pm and stays up until my mom goes to bed and he usually takes a half hour nap then goes to work.  They LOVE it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, I really needed to hear all of that from outsiders! K - Bryan is very skeptical (sp?)! He of course wants me to be happy, but he doesn't understand why working with homicide in the middle of the night in Detroit makes me happy. He (along with my parents) are very concerned for saftey reasons. He's a downer! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ~ K~ K
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand him and your family being concerned (my FI gets concerned with me riding the subway to and from work, lol).  I still think you should go to the interview and see how you feel afterwards. It could make your mind up for you.  If you decide it isn't for you or it isn't the right time, at the very least you'll come away with more interviewing experience. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards