Michigan-Detroit
Options

50th anniversary on my wedding day

My grandparents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary the DAY BEFORE the wedding, the rehersal dinner. They've agreed that they'll wait to celebrate until the week after because of the wedding, but my fiance and I want to incorporate their special day creatively during the wedding somehow. Is there any traditions in the ceremony where they could be incorporated, or during the reception any ideas? I was going to have them dance to their wedding song at the reception, but it just doesn't seem like enough. It's really important that we get this right because my fiance and I have been really close to my grandparents ever since we've started dating. Please....any neat ideas?....no need to hold back!!

Re: 50th anniversary on my wedding day

• Options
    Tarah716Tarah716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have the DJ announce it's their anniversary - do the anniversary dance with their wedding songHave a small cake there for them to cutGive them flowers to ear/hold
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Tarah716Tarah716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe somehow in your vows have the minister say "May you have a long and loving marriage like your grandparents Sam & Julie have - who are celebrating 50 years together today."  Or something along that lineHave the DJ give your grandparents the mike and have them tell you what the secret is to a long and happy marriage.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the reception, in addition to the dance, you could get a special small cake for them and display it on your cake table. Just a single tier with a 50th anniversary topper or something like that would be nice. They don't necessarily have to 'cut' it but they would have their own special cake to enjoy, or to take home to celebrate with later. Also, you could mention them in your program as well as have someone do a special reading for them during your ceremony, like a poem about marriage or something like that. I'm sure others will have more ideas for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    iheartkeithiheartkeith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did this... my great aunt and uncle had their 50th ann the same weekend as our wedding. Their family threw them a big surprise BBQ party the day after the wedding, but we did something at our reception for them. We did the "whoever has been married the longest stays on the dance floor the longest" type thing. I'm sure you've heard of it. We were pretty confident that they would be the last ones dancing, and I gave my aunt a bouquet (one of the BM's) after the dance and the DJ asked them "so what's the biggest advice you can give on how to make it work?" and let them have the mic, blah blah. It was cute and they still talk about it til this day about how happy and surprised they were! HTH :)
  • Options
    mqsmith83mqsmith83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandparents' 50th anniversary was the weekend after our wedding. In order to honor them at the wedding, we were going to have the normal "anniversary dance" and when it got down to the last few couples, we were going to announce for anyone whose 50th anniversary wasn't next weekend to sit down. Then I was going to give my bouquet to my grandma, and they were going to dance to their song. We were planning on this being a surprise, but they left before we could do it! Turns out they were ready to go back to their hotel and get a little frisky! lol So warn them not to leave if you do something for them! Also, you could put something in your program honoring them, maybe?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tarah stole all my ideas! ;) My uncle's 50th birthday is the day of our wedding and we are going to sing happy birthday and give him a private cake. For your grandparents, I might consider skipping the bouquet toss and hhand your grandma the bouquet instead. I love the idea of playing their wedding song for the anniversary dance. Also, if you are doing wedding programs, maybe you want to mention something in your thank you like "we want to thank our family for all their support and modeling loving marriages. We want to congratulate our grandparents who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary yesterday."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    My married bio
    TTC since March 2010, Dx PCOS 3/9/11. HSG 3/9/11 Clear with dominant but underdeveloped follicle, 4/4/11 Started 50 mg Clomid, 6/5/11 Started 100 mg Clomid, 8/9/11 BFP!
    4/6/12 Emerson Kate was born!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on my Godparents 50th wedding anniversary as well. I've written a short toast for them and we've also arranged to have a 2 tiered cake as the centerpiece on their table. Their kids are throwing a party the day after the wedding as well.
  • Options
    liza0828liza0828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my 15th birthday the day after my brother's wedding.  They had a little cake and the DJ announced it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards