Michigan-Detroit
Options

Think twice before tanning

I used to be more regular on this board, but I've made my quiet exit. However, this was one of the things I couldn't shut up about prior to my wedding. I know the temptation to be golden and tan prior to your wedding is high, but it is not worth the risk! This new study shows that you increase your risk for skin cancer by 75% with regular tanning. This puts it in the same category as cigarettes and asbestos in terms of cancer-causing potential. I study cancer, I spend my days reading case reports from those suffering from it. If you can reduce your risk, there is no reason you shouldn't. Sorry for the preachy post. I just want people to be safe! [url] http://tinyurl.com/mg8ao5 [/url]

Re: Think twice before tanning

• Options
    ksunquestksunquest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw this story this morning and it made me sad. I tan, but not regularly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ejayejay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for posting this!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info - I celebrate my pasty-white skin even though I do look a little ghost-like come wintertime. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jcrawford76jcrawford76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I, too, have come to embrace my pale skin. You're right - it's not worth it!  I appreciate this post. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea...I don't tan, regardless of the method. It's futile. I use self tanning lotion just to have a normal skin tone and avoid blinding people. Like those above...I've embraced my paleness. Actually I prefer to say 'fair skin'. Sounds prettier. ; )
  • Options
    jennic22jennic22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the imperative word here is 'regular'.  None of the news stories have even remotely defined what they consider 'regular'.I will say that I agree its not a good idea to tan all of the time, but I would also say that if I were to have gone on my HM in Mexico without having gone tanning a few times, then I probably would have burned - and that really raises your risk of cancer.Additionally, a carcinogen is generally defined as something that will increase your risk with repeated exposure.  Just like one cigarette is unlikely to cause lung cancer, a couple times in the tanning bed are unlikely to cause you any harm (except maybe wrinkly skin).<<off my soapbox>>
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsLokiAngelMrsLokiAngel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tanning prior to your honeymoon to prevent burning is still dangerous. I spent 2 weeks in the DR for my honeymoon and I never once burned. I am the most pale person I know. Additionally a carcinogen is defined as a "cancer-causing substance or agent." The more you indulge in risky behavior involving carcinogens, the more you expose yourself to harm. Of course one cigarette isn't going to likely cause you harm, neither is a few times in a tanning bed. But, nonetheless, you are still voluntarily exposing yourself to carcinogens... even just once.
  • Options
    jennic22jennic22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think we pretty much agree.  I personally find it easier to not burn with my 4-5 times (at ~6min a pop) than if I don't tan.  But all I have is anecdotal evidence for this.  Maybe our skin is different, maybe I'm just not as efficient at re-applying as I should be.  But on the whole - not good for you, if you do it, do it sparingly.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards