Michigan-Detroit
Options

Painting glass

Has anyone ever had experience trying to paint on glass? I want to get my bridesmaids wine glasses and then hand paint their initials on them and a design on the stem or base. I've seen some really cute ones on Etsy, but they seem sort of expensive since it seems like it would be easy to make....I'd post this on the DIY board but they're slower to respond :)TIA!

Re: Painting glass

• Options
    leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine made a personalized wine glass for me before.  She made one for each girl in our little group of friends actually.  They had our names and a little design.  I was actually surprised because she's not really a crafty DIY type person, so they must've been pretty simple if she did them.  I can ask her what paint she used and let you know.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    whrldtravlrwhrldtravlr member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't painted on glass but what about doing a glass etch? I know you can buy the paint at Michaels and you just dab it on over a stencil, I think, and voila!
    imageimage
  • Options
    HeidiMarie95HeidiMarie95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, please let me know! Thanks! Did you like the glasses? I thought it would be cute, and maybe I could even get them wine with personalized labels or something.I've never heard of a glass etch! Is that like engraving? Or painting? I suppose I should go up to Michaels and check out what they have.
  • Options
    rootmel1rootmel1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've painted on glass before and it's really easy.  I painted an olive holder dispenser for FMIL a long time ago.  Make sure you look at the type of paint your getting...there are numerous types of glass paint...some you have to "bake the glass" and some you don't.  There is also a difference between the glass paint for things you will be eating off of.  But it's super easy!  I got everything at Michaels and it worked out great.   good luck!
  • Options
    leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The glasses were super cute!  Everyone loved them.  Etching is like chemically burning a design into the glass, if I am thinking of the right thing.  It's not in color, just like a shade of white that gets etched into the glass by the chemical that you apply over the stencil. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    HeidiMarie95HeidiMarie95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Oh now I'm so excited to try it out! I'll have to make a trip to Michaels this weekend!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this!  I'm planning on doing the same thing for my bridesmaids, because my shower has a "wine" theme. I <3 wine =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards