Michigan-Detroit
Options

Best Man Speech Question

We are going to a wedding this weekend and my FI is the Best Man.  This is his first time being one and I have never been a MOH.  SO my question is about how long is the speech supposed to be?  I told him I didn't think it was supposed to be very long but I was just curious what you all thought.  TIA
Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Best Man Speech Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Short and sweet is the way to go IMO. 5 minutes or less.
  • Options
    cindaycinday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say keep it to like 3 minutes or so. Start out with a brief, funny story about his relationship with the groom, move on to the couple's relationship (also can be funny), end with a touching word about the couple. I used this formula when I gave a MOH speech and it works well. The speeches at our wedding followed the same pattern and they were good! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, short and sweet! I think there are toasting tips on TK. I think they say things like... -tell a short story/memory -tell a joke etc. GL
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's what I was thinking.  Thanks!
  • Options
    dee2011dee2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree short and sweet!! :-)
  • Options
    jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If he wasn't already planning to...I would make sure he writes down or knows/practices exactly what he's going to say. I was in a wedding and one of the best men told a story and he rambled and repeated himself and the other best man barely said anything and kept saying "um." Agree with pp on everything else!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Short and sweet is the way to go! I typed FI's speech up on the computer and double spaced it and glued it to index cards. It worked and he had everyone rolling!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!  FI was just promoted into the position yesterday so he wasn't planning on having to give a speech at all lol. 
  • Options
    Susie_KissesSusie_Kisses member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and just one more tip...sometimes the BM will acknowledge the parents of the bride and groom.  Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say the shorter the better. It is supposed to be a toast not a speech and I think a lot of people forget that. I was maid of honor and I think mine was 1 minute. People won't remember if it is too short but they definitely will remember if it is too long--I went to one that was 15 min before. I will never forget that! :-)
    Trying for #1 since 5/2010
    12/2010-hysteroscopy done to remove uterine polyps
    6/2/11=BFP!!!!
    EDD 2/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding and the best man gave a speech of advice after being married for 1 year. He went with: 1 - Pick up your socks off the floor 2 - Change the toilet paper if you use it all 3 - Target bags do not just appear. If they are there and they weren't before... she bought something. Then went into the well wishes and done. I have to agree that if you talk too long everybody will remember it, but not if it's too short.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mrs. joshi--that was really cute and so true. I make sure to throw out my target bags. ;-)
    Trying for #1 since 5/2010
    12/2010-hysteroscopy done to remove uterine polyps
    6/2/11=BFP!!!!
    EDD 2/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mrs.Joshi:I love it!!  Thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards