Michigan-Detroit
Options

Adult only reception wording (long, sorry)

Hey ladies...wanted to get some input here. My FI and I are having an adults only reception.  Initially I thought that I would put on the reception cards in the invitation "please join us for an adults only reception @ 5pm blah blah."  FI now doesn't want to the word "adult" included.  His opinion...people will see the names listed on the inner envelope and understand that only those listed are invited.  I don't have that much faith in people!  Is it tacky to put "adults only" on the reception card?  I have no problem telling people once the rsvp's come in that they can't bring their kids...I just thought it would reduce some stress down the line by being upfront about it.  I should also add that the VAST majority of the kids are on my side...and I've tried to get the word out already that we're not having kids there.Thanks!

Re: Adult only reception wording (long, sorry)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tacky? Who knows. Will it stop me from doing it? Absolutely not. I'm not going to leave anything to question if I don't have to. Like you said, it would just be added stress (and time) otherwise.
  • Options
    jennic22jennic22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I'd use the word tacky... I don't like it at all, but if I'd had an adults only, I probably would have done it.  It really is amazing how people cannot figure out the concept. 
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    RachelCheetahRachelCheetah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would zap the "only" part and just simply say "adult reception". That's what I haad on my reception cards and we had no problems.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had adults only and I put that on there.  I think I worded it the same, I think there is a pic in my bio somewhere.... I don't think it is tacky, but it is not "proper etiquette".  But whatever, I still used it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i put adults only on mine.  i didn't care if it was tacky, i didn't want kids there.  here's what i put:To help us celebrate, please join usat our adult reception fordrinks, dinner and dancing! putting just the names on the invitation of who's invited will work for some guests, but some are just clueless & the rsvp game is the most annoying part of wedding planning.  calling people to tell them they can't bring their kids sucks.

My Chart
    TTC since Sept 2009
    Cycle#9-Natural BFP 7/9/2010 ~ m/c 7/31/2010 ~ 8/31/10 beta 0.
    Nov/Dec 2011, started seeing RE. HSG-all clear! SA is good! DX = unexplained IF.
    Cycle#25-50mg clomid, IUI#1 = BFP 12/24/11 ~ m/c 1/5/12 ~ 2/21/12 beta level finally 0.
    Cycle#28- 100mg clomid + Ovidrel + IUI#2 = BFN
    Cycle#29- Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI#3 = BFP 5/8/12 ~ betas dropped 5/17/12 ~ Cytotec(fail) D&C (fail) & then a methotrexate shot to get things going ~ 6/28/12 Beta FINALLY 0.
    RPL tests reveal MTHFR mutation(1copy)-adding Folgard & BA and moving forward.
    Cycle#32-Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI#4 = BFP!
    Beta#1 8/21/12: 11, Beta#2 8/23: 71, Beta#3 8/25:174
    9/4-seen sac/yolk, 9/7-9/12 hospitalized for a ruptured cyst causing massive internal bleeding.
    9/11-seen HB!! 9/18- no HB, 9/21/12-D&C. Fetal tissue testing revealed a healthy boy. Now getting more tests to try to figure out this mystery :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we had an adults only reception and did not put it on the invite. We just went with the "whoever is on the envelope is who is invited" We did not have one person try to add anyone that wasn't invited. We would have invited about 85 kids otherwise.... romper room anyone?   Basically those we were concerned with, we brought it up in conversation early on (when save the dates went out) about it and we only had one couple question us and push, but when their rsvp came in they only had 2 on there (and it was DH's brother as the best man)
    FINALLY! My Reviews

• Options
    jennic22jennic22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp's that 'adult reception' sounds better than 'adults only reception'.  Don't know why, just looks better.  Oh, and you'll probably still get some people who add their kids.  But at least this should minimize it.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we had adults only on our invites and still had people trying to bring kids...but it definitely reduced some stress bc the rest of them figured it out! I dont think its tacky at all!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ditto Rachel.  Just put "adult reception," rather than "adults only."  It  sounds more etiquette-esque, IMO.  Don't assume people will know not to bring their kids just because their names are on the inner envelope.  People don't look at that envelope half the time anyhow...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since we're printing the invitations ourselves it's a bit easier for this, but, on the RSVP card we're putting "Mr. and Mrs. Whoever we've reserved two seats in your honor" or something like that since I don't have it in front of me. We're hoping that this, with the Adult reception part on the invites, plus that everybody knows I don't like kids will work for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Men are naive and always think there will never be a problem.. I am going to do what Rachel said and put "Adult Reception"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is one thing for which I don't care if it is tacky or not! :-) I am putting "adult reception to immediately follow" on the invite, on the response card it will say "2 seats have been reserved in your honor", and the envelope will just have the adults names on it. If people still don't get it at that point then they just have problems for which I cannot help. We already had one person call and complain to my FMIL that the save the dates didn't have the kids names on it....simple-that is because they are not invited. Trust me-save yourself the stress and put adult reception on the card. :-)
    Trying for #1 since 5/2010
    12/2010-hysteroscopy done to remove uterine polyps
    6/2/11=BFP!!!!
    EDD 2/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, do it without the word only.Here is ours in case you want to see:
  • Options
    jessimaphonejessimaphone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put adults only on the invite as well as the reception card. I'm surprised that it's actually worked - no one, that I know of, is bringing their brats. It's helped to have family reinforcing the point to the extended family about it.
  • Options
    rootmel1rootmel1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  I think I'll definitely have to put it on there.  I know FMIL didn't care for it too much, but like I said, all of the kids are on my side, so me and my Mom will be the ones who would have to deal with it.  I'm thinking it will say:To help us celebrate, please join us for an adult cocktail and dinner reception at ....Oh, and did I mention that my invites need to go out in 2 weeks???  arrggg!  Thanks again!  You ladies rock!
  • Options
    mtrapinmtrapin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. good luck with this entire notion. :) we had an "adults only" reception... complete with names and the phrase "adults only" on the reception card and we STILL had the following things happen... a. cousins from both sides called/emailed/asked if we were seriousb. cousins wrote on the response cards, "too bad no kids :("c. (my favorite)... brought the kids anyhow! 2. if this is what you want- be up front about it. you will still have people give you a hard time about it... and we still had problems but oh well... people will get over it... seriously. they will.
  • Options
    mtrapinmtrapin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ** looking back at the cards it does not say "only"... just "adult reception"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We put it on our actual invitation (did not have reception cards):Adult reception immediately following.Then, on the response card, we put:____ Accepts with pleasure____ Regretfully declines____ Number of adults attendingSo it was perfectly clear.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would put "Adult Reception" and I dont think thats tacky. You should be aware that just because you put adult reception that wont deter people from trying to bring kids. Sometimes I wonder if people who read the inserts for invites.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards