Michigan-Detroit
Options

**tnspight**

Were you at the St. John's tasting on Monday?  I saw your "AW Thursday" post and it sounds like it - we were there too! What did you think?  We were SO impressed with the service and the appetizers were great.  But we were a little disappointed in the dinner options.  The sides were good but we thought the meat was lacking.I'm not sure if it was just us (we didn't bring anyone with us for a second opinion, which I regret).  Or maybe I had impossibly high expectations?      What did you think and what did you choose for your menu?    Thanks!  

Re: **tnspight**

• Options
    tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I knew I should have posted a ? about who was going to the tasting!  I loved it!  The wait staff was very attentive!  We loved the appetizers except the tapenade (sp?).  FI didn't like the mini basil caprese salad, but the rest of us did.  My mom and aunt went w/us.  We didn't get to taste the chick wellington or the coconut chick tenders.  Did you try those?  What did you think?  I loved the wild rice but we weren't impressed w/the fish.  I thought the mahi mahi was better than the salmon (which wasn't saying much).  We all thought the fish was dry, but they liked the salmon better.  I really liked the chicken coq au vin.  I felt like the coating on the other chicken dishes (crusted) will get soggy when it should be crunchy.I'm afraid to order beef b.c ppl can be very particular about how they like theirs.  Our definite choices are the Regal Menu:  mini caprese, spring rolls (favorite), chick wellington (unless you tell me it's awful, lol), spanikopita, house salad, coq au vin and salmon (boo).We loved the champagne intermezzo and butternut squash soup.  I think we'll pick the intermezzo over soup.  Idk yet.  I really want the late night snack, though.  Kathleen said they base the # on 50% of your guaranteed #.  Sorry it's so long, lol  I wish I had known you were there...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha! I didn't even think to ask who would be there - but it would have been a good idea! The wait staff was amazing! FI kept saying how great it'll be if they're half as attentive at our wedding as they were that night. We loved the appetizers too - except the tapenade (using your spelling). That was TERRIBLE! I liked the mini caprese salad a lot but thought it would be difficult to eat - it kinda fell apart on me but I tried to eat it in two bites. They didn't have the chick wellington available for tasting - we asked. The coconut chick tenders were awesome! The spring rolls and spanikopita were also really good. We have four to choose from and will choose the three above and the wellington - we'll just hope it's as good as the others! We really weren't impressed with the fish either (and we were hoping to offer a choice between chicken and fish). I thought the salmon tasted too fishy. Like maybe it was bad? Someone at our table suggested that maybe it was frozen for too long? I did like the mahi mahi more too but like you said, not saying much. I don't think the salmon was poorly prepared - I just think it wasn't good fish from the start. Maybe they had a bad shipment and it's not usually so strong? I think we're going to go with the chicken coq au vin as well. I thought it had to most flavor of the chicken selections. I LOVED the mashed potatoes - I know, weird but yummm! It's warm, creamy goodness! And then I think we're going to upgrade to the filet. I know it's a lot of money but we kind of wanted it in the first place and then when we didn't like the fish, it solidified our decision. I do think people are particular about how it's cooked but I hope that those people know that about themselves and will order chicken instead. I hope? We didn't try the butternut squash soup. I didn't think it was something we'd spend money to upgrade to so I didn't think it'd be worth it. Maybe we should have. We're getting married in April and it might be cold and rainy out and maybe soup would take the chill off. But now we're spending our money on filet. Plus our guests will have been drinking for an hour by the time dinner is served so.... When is the intermezzo served? I'd really like a late night snack too. And our wedding is going to be on the smaller side (I hope) so 1/2 of our guarantee isn't bad. I think we'll have to wait to see how other things in our budget pan out and if we can put that money towards this.
  • Options
    tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The intermezzo (flavored sorbet) is served after the salad/soup to clear your palette for the entree.  It's completely unnecessary, so we won't decide until much later.  If we have money for it.  If it comes down to the intermezzo or late night snack, I'm going w/the snack.  Either the pizza pizza or munchies.We went to a restaurant in the Ren Cen last year, and they brought us an intermezzo.  I was like:  Why are they giving us dessert now? lol  Were you at our table?  #8?  Someone said the same thing about the salmon being frozen, lol!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha! Oh my gosh, yes, we were at table 8! We were the couple - we didn't bring anyone with us. Who were you? You must have been on our right otherwise I had a frozen fish conversation with your FMIL. Ha!
  • Options
    tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lmao!  I can't believe it!  That's so funny!  What are the odds?  I told John we should have talked more to the other couples, lol.  We were to your right.  rootmel1 is getting married there in Nov.  They had to do a private tasting b/c they're oot.  They didn't get to taste the appetizers though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards